All reviewsour honeymoonwonderful hotelpastarooms are beautifulstar propertythe hustle and bustlemontalcinopeacecastlegroundssurroundingsbellissimoluxuryjacuzziweddingregionfeeling
Reviewed 29 July 2016

This spring, I took a 2.5 week trip throughout Italy as a wedding planner, exploring potential wedding venues. I had the immense privilege of staying one night at Castel Porrona Relais just a week or two after it was reopened following years of meticulous renovations. I’ve been meaning to write this review for months, but honestly, it’s been so hard to come up with the right words to summarize this incredible, take-your-breath-away, stunningly beautiful place.

Here’s how I’ll try: Castel Porrona is the kind of place where you could visit just once, and remember in precise detail decades later how first setting foot onto the property made you feel.

First, there’s the setting -- the Castle and resort is set among the rolling green hills of what I believe is the heart of the Italian countryside. You are surrounded by 360 degrees of the most spectacular, picture postcard views.

Then, there’s the Castle -- an awe-inspiring medieval marvel, with an open courtyard in front (as a wedding planner, I was pretty much on cloud nine -- I couldn’t stop picturing all of the al fresco dinners and receptions that could happen on that lawn, under the setting sun and millions of stars!).

And of course, the luxurious renovations and incredible staff -- of all the beautiful hotels and resorts I’ve been lucky enough to visit in my lifetime, I have never felt more like royalty than during my stay at Castel Porrona. The staff were absolutely outstanding, and take care of you every moment of your stay. My jaw literally fell open when I walked into my room: every single element of decor was customized for that room, (and I learned, hand-picked by the castle’s owner). I greatly appreciated how the renovations of the space stay true to the authenticity of the place. And I have to say, there’s nothing so authentically Italian than enjoying the view of a castle outside your bedroom window while enjoying a glass of red wine. And the bed!! I slept longer and more deeply this night at Porrona than any other night in my entire trip!

Last but of course not least, the food -- without a doubt, some of the best food I had while in Italy, and some of the most delicious local wines. Even the morning pastries and my cappuccino were outstanding!

Staying at Porrona, I could feel right away how much this place was so deeply loved and admired by everyone who worked there. That definitely rubs off on you in the best possible way, and I felt a special sort of pride in being able to be a guest here. To anyone who is considering a stay at Castel Porrona, I can say without hesitation -- do it! I’m sure that like me, it will be one of the favorite memories you keep from your trip to Italy.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank RebeccaP3289
CastelPorrona P, Direttore vendite at Castel Porrona Relais & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2016

Dear Rebecca P,

First of all, I would like to thank you for writing such a wonderful view on TripAdvisor. It is a great pleasure learning that you were able to capture the uniqueness of our property and absorb the enchanting vibe of Porrona, almost impossible to describe by words or photographs. We strive each day to offer a customized service where every guest can feel at home, as an inhabitant of our medieval village.

The entire team and myself really hope to have the chance of welcoming you back for another warm, relaxing yet elegant stay in our five star relais.

Reviewed 28 July 2016 via mobile

The hotel is brand new and beautiful. We stayed in a deluxe room and it was big and comfortable with a lovely bed. The bathroom was a bit too small but that became irrelevant the moment I saw how beautiful everything else was. The staff is absolutely amazing and gave us great recommendations on where to go, where to eat. The hotel has a perfect location if you want to explore places like Siena, Montalcino, Pitigliano and the Tuscan coast. If you want to relax and stay in they have a wonderful pool and spa too so you can alternate days exploring Tuscany and relaxing by the pool. Breakfast is delicious and the restaurant has a perfect sophisticated setting without being snobby. Food is amazing and service is friendly and efficient. The local wine, Porrona, is very good too. Can't wait to go back to Castel Porrona!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
CastelPorrona P, Direttore vendite at Castel Porrona Relais & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2016

Dear Carolina099,

Thank you for your wonderful review. It is a great pleasure learning that you were able to explore incredible Maremma and surroundings, combining it with moments of relaxation in our spa and pool and savoring creative local dishes prepared by our Chef at Il Chiostro restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our relais for another memorable stay.

Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

Of course, this is a beautiful location. Of course, the outdoor courtyard restaurant is as quintessentially Tuscan as it gets. Of course, the bedrooms are elegant and sexy. Of course, the pool and the spa are perfect.

But what makes this a great hotel are people who work there. Each and every one of them care about the hotel and your stay there. The service is attentive but it has a light touch, an easy charm which allows us to relax and enjoy an unique place and a hot holiday.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear JamesBarber10,

Thank you for your kind review. It is an enormous pleasure knowing that, above all the five star amenities and the beauty of our property, you enjoyed the soul of our boutique hotel: our team. We constantly make our biggest efforts to make every guest’s stay customized and unforgettable.

We all hope to welcome you back to our village for another incredibly romantic holiday.

Reviewed 10 July 2016

Castel Porrona Relais is absolutely amazing. Set in a medieval village, it has just reopened after extensive renovations. The rooms are beautifully decorated and comfortable. The spa is top notch with massages, steam room, sauna and the indoor and outdoor pools are heavenly. The service is authentic and thoughtful - the staff is knowledgeable and incredibly helpful. The restaurant is out of this world - all the ingredients are locally sourced. Every night we tried something different and each item was delicious. The breakfast is one of the best I have ever had. They have a breakfast tasting menu with croissants, fresh bread, homemade jams, fresh orange juice, eggs, local cheeses, smoked salmon, sausages and local charcuterie.

The Castel is very convenient for exploring Montalicino, Montepulciano and the surrounding areas.

It is a very special experience to stay here and I can't recommend it enough. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
CastelPorrona P, Direttore vendite at Castel Porrona Relais & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2016

Dear TravelerTAI,

Thank you for your kind review. We are very pleased that you relished your stay in our historic yet brand new five star property with rituals and massages done in our three level Agua SPA and dishes freshly prepared by our Executive Chef. It is delightful reading that you highly appreciated our breakfast tasting menu, where a selection of bread, sweets and jams are prepared in-house by our Pastry Chef and served with the best local and international ingredients available in the market.

The entire Castel Porrona Relais team looks forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing stay in our untouched Tuscan countryside.

Reviewed 21 June 2016

The Castel Porrona Relais is just stunning. The rooms are beautiful, beautifully decorated, and some have jacuzzis which is a great perk. We got massages, and the spa was beautiful. All guests have access to the indoor pool in the spa as well as the steam room & sauna even if they do not book a massage service. The pool bar was almost completed and will be a great feature!

All of the staff was fantastic and the food was delicious. It is very easy to get to and is in a great location for exploring the area as Montalpulciano is only about 20 minutes away. I really think this place will soon be one of the most popular in the area- my advice would be to book it now!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
CastelPorrona P, Direttore vendite at Castel Porrona Relais & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2016

Dear lindsayscb,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time in our 5 star relais and that you could relax in our enchanting village and countryside, appreciating our elegant yet traditional Tuscan cuisine and overall service.

The entire Castel Porrona Relais team look forward to welcoming you back to the heart of Maremma in the near future for another memorable stay.