All reviewsgarden routechef peppascountry housegarden cottageone nighthidden gemgreat foodmain buildingpleasant surpriseown winefantastic staydinner menuyogurtwarm welcomefriendly and helpful staffout of this worldchristopher
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

We were lucky enough to visit in June 2018. The staff had our happiness front and centre for the entire visit - turndown service, room snacks and recommendations for the area delivered daily. The property itself is exceptional, with an exceptional vineyard to wander through. The rooms are well appointed with cable television, comfortable beds, warm showers and most especially hot water bottles arranged every evening. Most unique is the restaurant, word class and diverse cuisine serving the local wine at very generous prices. I’ll be sure to come back on my next visit to South Africa.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2018

Last weekend my family and I went to Riversdale for the rugby. Most of the accommodation was already taken but lo an behold we stumbled upon this beautiful place with a very kind, friendly and helpful management and staff.
On our arrival our cottage was clean, warm and inviting,filled with modern luxury bathroom treats and everything aired and light with a wondrrful winter sun playing through the windows. Needless to day we didnt feel like leaving the rooms and venture out in the cold. However we were attracted by the lovely smells coming earlier from the restaurant, where a pot of 'bo kaap curry ' was defnitely in the making. Supper was superb! Breakfast was a full course and well prepared and overall our stay here in Riiversdale with mr Christopher and his very awesome, eager and enthusiastic staff,truly awesome and magnificent....felt like home.
Thank you,may your hospitality business go from strength to strength.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2018

We only stayed for one night, came from Bellville for rugby at one of the local High Schools. They met all our special requirements, very accommodating and friendly, lovely and relaxed although very professional.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2018

Will be difficult to recommend guidelines as i am happy with service cleanliness, staff friendliness, Sleep Quality and Room was wonderful. Well managed and i will definitely stay over again when the opportunity lends it self.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

We booked the 2 bedroom garden cottage. The rooms were clean but VERY basic. The bedding is not the thick down duvets i had expected form a "boutique hotel" we had marked sheets on our beds which was really awful ! The bath towels were paper thin and washed out and not lush at all!! We had to phone reception for toilet paper as one of the bathrooms only had half a roll in the holder - no spare rolls!!!!
We had dinner and breakfast during our stay. Dinner was lovely and we met the delightful and charming chef. Breakfast however was the opposite. We got burnt toast and when asking our waitress to bring us other toast she first inspected the toast by picking it up with her hands to see if it is burnt!!!! She took the basket back to kitchen to only add ONE EXTRA SLICE of toast to the now cold burnt toast. We did not bother asking for any more as it was very obvious she was not in the mood for guests at this time of morning!! Will we stay at the "De Doornkraal "again when we pass that way in the future? I doubt it - when you call yourself a boutique hotel we expect the service/ facilities of such an establishment!!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
ChefChrisPeppas, General Manager at De Doornkraal Historic Country House Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2018

I wish to thank you kindly for your participation within the TripAdvisor community. I was most disappointed to read your review - especially since that none of your critiques were brought to my attention (although I made a point of engaging you from check in to check out - since your initial contact before check in was challenging). In particular when you were considering cancelling your stay with us as you did not think it fair to pay for the two extra young men on a bed and breakfast basis in our Vineyard Cottage.

I was ever hopeful that the special considerations and diversion from our usual policies (in that we agreed to serve breakfast a hour and a half before our usual breakfast service); would make you feel acknowledged and valued. If only you called for my personal attention when you suffered the alleged issues with regards to quality and service (or mentioned your concerns when I engaged your good self during dinner, breakfast and check out) - I would of had the opportunity to ensure that factors influencing your guest experience were addressed with aplomb or that you were offered relief in some way, shape or form.

I have investigated the aforementioned with the relevant folks within our service chain and am able to assure you that this can only be described as an exception rather than the rule - although my assistant managers assure me that there were ample amenities in your cottage and that you took such a liking to them that you enjoyed them as souvenirs of your stay (which I don't begrudge you in any way shape or form - merely mentioning this to assert that there were enough amenities including toilet paper in so much that you could take the left overs with your good self on your forward journey).

I do acknowledge though that it is my role to anticipate your needs and check that quality and standards are upheld - I therefore take responsibility and hope that the rest of your journey was a safe and happy one.