“MOM”

Curraghmore House and Gardens
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Portlaw
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

My visit today was wonderful. Such a lovely house. Very well preserved Rooms from 1700 s. Really enjoyed the tour and the Shell House. The Gardens are beautiful and well maintained.. I was there on my own in the Gardens two days previous and was so tranquil. Well worth a stop off when near Portlaw

1  Thank ACara50
in 23 reviews
"coffee shop"
"front of the house"

Reviewed 29 May 2018

We came back again having really enjoyed the gardens last year but didn't get a chance to do a tour of the house. Be aware that the tours are on certain days at certain times so look on the website before you visit. We booked to go on the tour online as we were only going to be in the area for a week and didn't want to miss out. The tour of the house did not disappoint. The guide was amazing. He had been working for the family for many years as the last Lord Waterford's butler so knows so much about the house and the family history. He really brought the house alive for us - what a nice guy. The Crotty exhibit was the highlight of Mick's holiday as he had been brought up on stories of Crotty and had even gone to look for Crotty's Rock in the Comeragh Mountains. We were sorry that it was raining so we didn't get to enjoy the gardens again - still gives us a reason to come again next year!!

Reviewed 10 May 2018 via mobile

The drive up to the house is long, tree-lined, beside the Clodagh river. Beautiful.
Drive carefully, it's pretty bumpy and there are plenty of people walking along it.
The house itself is old, grey, slightly spooky looking. There is a veritable village of accommodation alongside it. In varying stages of delapidation. There is a tea room one one side, but it wasn't open when we were there. Pity, that. I was gumming for a cup of tea.
I couldn't help but imagine the amazing holiday rentals that could be created here. I, for one, would love to stay in such a fantastic place. But it's been a family residence for a long time, I'm not sure they'd want to share it that much!
The gardens are a treat, large, interesting, and well worth taking your time to walk around. I couldn't find the Japanese garden.
Next time, I hope.
I did cross the oldest bridge in the world on the walk, though.
(Actually, the oldest bridge in Ireland)
I'll take the tour of the house then too. And also of the Shell House, which is decorated inside with shells from all around the world.
I'm looking forward to my next visit.

1  Thank maczi
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We have been to Curraghmore gardens on many occasions, for walks, concerts ,and adventure racing, but never toured the house. I saw that it was opened this weekend I couldn’t wait to drive there and have a look around.
This place is FANTASTIC!, And what makes it so, are two things , firstly it’s a living home!, you can go close to the paintings, furniture, your in someone’s home!. And secondly, Basil, the tour guide ( formal Buttler), this guy is a gentleman, and a knowledgeable storyteller of this magnificent home!.
This is a hidden gem in Waterford, and it shouldn’t be, this place should be on every visitor and locals place to visit, even for just a walk around the grounds, it’s magnificent!. Please go see the shell house!, it’s unreal!. The house was the best bit for me, the architect, the paintings, the sculptures!, I could live there happily!. If your looking for any staff, give me a call!!

3  Thank G9373KSstuartm