“Lovely setting, shame about sloppy mash.”
Review of Marmita

Marmita
Ranked #5 of 160 Restaurants in Skiathos Town
Price range: US$15 - US$28
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: For us the cuisine is, above all, 'memory', pleasure and hospitality We believe that Greek cuisine should reflect the clarity, the austerity and the harmony of the landscape
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

We had dinner at Marmita the other night. The setting is beautiful. I had very high expectations after reading the reviews. I have to be fair, the food was cooked well, however the veal came on a bed of sloppy mash (artistically presented). Though the meal looked aesthetically pleasing, I felt disappointed at the concept ( or a lack of it). From reading the menu I gathered that the restaurant was serving contemporary Greek food, my meal was presented more in a style that didn’t quite match it. Personally I think it would be more authentic to serve veal with rice or beautifully presented Greek potatoes. The experience left me quite confused, Is it Greek food or kind of Greek with trying to cater for British taste too much.

Marmita S, Owner at Marmita, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Dear Mrs Evgenia,
Thank you very much for your visit in our restaurant and for your review.
You would aloud me to point few things regarding our menu and our food.
Our kitchen is based on Greek traditional recipes and the use of local and fresh ingredients. The presentation and the side dishes of each plate is design especially for the each recipe. Different presentation, side dish for the lamp or the pork different for the veal.
Veal and chicken are the only two plates that they have on the side mash potatoes, which is home made and prepared at the moment of the order. The reason that we use mash for those two plates are that they have more liquid ( sauce of the cooking process) which make the mash an identical side dish. We do not cook rice as it was not usually included in the Greek cuisine before the 60's and we not consider it as a part of Greek tradition
Marmita offers traditional Greek recipes which are adapted and modernized using local, seasonal ingredients. A menu that allows the ingredients to speak for themselves: simple, tasty, light and healthy. The presentation is very important but most important is the taste. We follow many traditional processes when creating, adapting and cooking our dishes. We like to offer a menu that tastes like our parents’ home cooking.
Kind regards
Panos Stamoulis

Write a ReviewReviews (1,867)

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

We visited Marmita twice during our stay in Skiathos. Booked the first time online as we couldn’t find the restaurant in Town.
But after a bit of searching around the streets we found this stunning little gem. I called in and the owner said he had found my booking and replied, so their online booking system works well.
The next evening we arrived for our meal and were greeted by the staff as if we were long lost friends. We were shown to our table were the staff advised us on what food they had and their extensive wine list.
When the food arrived it was simply great, full of flavour, the waitress was helpful and attentive, pouring our wine and making us feel special.
We enjoyed the evening so much we booked again.
I would highly recommend the Mushroom Ravioli and the baked Feta cheese which was my highlight.

1  Thank Gary S
Reviewed 28 May 2018

We had made a reservation here after reading good reviews, so imagine our disappointment when we arrived only to be asked to wait in line for a table. We were unhappy and left, only to be pursued by the owner running after us down the street! So we returned and had a lovely meal which was probably the best of the holiday. We were amazed and delighted that the drinks we had were not charged to us on the bill as an apology for the unfortunate start to the evening. We left a very substantial tip to cover them.

1  Thank travelwearyLondon
Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

We had a lovely meal here in the garden terrace. Popular place and would recommend a reservation. The beef fillet was excellent and extremely tender. My wife’s chicken was also very good indeed. Really nice appetizers before the meal as well. To finish off we had complementary yougut with marmalade together with a small bottle of the local Tsipouro (I think?!) all in all very nice place to dine in skiathos. Also we must say a special thank you to waitress who served us (apologies we can’t remember your name however we recall that you came from Albania). Very attentive and professional. Thank you for a lovely evening.
Prys and Helen - the ones from Wales !

2  Thank Prys J
Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

We visited twice last week and on both occasions we were very impressed. The surroundings are beautiful, the service is excellent and the menu delivers really excellent food. Marmita is part of a group and the other venues are also good but this is the gem.

1  Thank Nick B