“Amazing place”
Review of Carpenters Arms

Carpenters Arms
Ranked #5 of 61 Restaurants in Pontypool
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Privately owned and run for the last 9 years. We buy all our ingredients as locally as possible. We make all of our dishes in house, including desserts!As well as great pub food, we also have a huge selection of fresh meats and fish.We can cater for parties up to 100 in our function room,(200 if you would like to book the whole pub)We have a civil marriage licence and have a great deal of wedding experience, and can help plan your perfect day. We tailor make each day to suit your needs and budget.We also cater and host all family functions such as birthdays, christenings and wakes.We'll always do our very best to help so please drop in or give us a call.
Reviewed 30 June 2020 via mobile

Can’t wait for this place to reopen for one of there wonderful Sunday roasts .the Thai fish cakes are to die for

Date of visit: June 2020
2  Thank Beckiebunss
Write a reviewReviews (316)

Reviewed 9 March 2020 via mobile

We had an excellent afternoon, we chose from the lunchtime menu and everyone in our group of 20 enjoyed the food. Calamari cooked just right, the veloute sauce in the chicken pie was delicious. The staff were very helpful and able to sort special requests. A thoroughly enjoyable birthday meal.

Date of visit: March 2020
Reviewed 13 February 2020

Went for husbands birthday! We both had 3 courses and really couldn’t fault anything! Everything cooked perfectly and good portion sizes, and a great variety on the menu.Reasonably priced for what you get. Staff attentive and very accommodating. Will definitely return.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed 4 January 2020

Went out for a family meal on Friday night,warm welcome and seated quickly , given wine list.Good choice of wine ,ordered a Portuguese red , excellent wine. They have a very extensive Dinner menu with a good choice for everyone and reasonably priced.We had Fillet steak, Duck, Scampi and Wagyu beef burger.All our meals were excellent , we also had creme brulee and cheese cake for dessert which were also very good.Nice wee selection of single malt whiskys also.The only negatives we have about the night is that it was requested that the plate for the Fillet steak to be hot and it wasn't and the portion of mixed veg came late.All in all a very good experience and we would definitely come back.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed 23 December 2019

Y5307ZFdebbied
Pending review
Hidden gem
We were shopping in Cwmbran and I was looking for a country pub that served homemade food and came across the Carpenters Arms. We were greeted with a warm welcome and as it was lunchtime we were given the main menu plus the 2 course lunchtime specials menu which was a starter and main course for £11.95. We choose off the special menu, which was vast. I choose the creamy garlic mushrooms and Cajun chicken, and my husband had the calamari and fresh haddock. When the food arrived I was blown away by the presentation and quantity of the starters. The batter on the calamari was so light, probably best calamari we have ever tasted and my mushrooms were delicious. Our mains, my chicken which was fresh not processed sure had a kick to it and came served on ribboned veg and homemade chips were served separately. Hubby’s haddock was huge and agin very light batter with homemade tartare sauce. Be rude not to have a desert so I had homemade salted caramel cheesecake which was stunning, I begrudgingly gave my hubby a taste and he has chocolate brownie which was the lightest tastiest brownie I have ever tasted with a soft , gooey chocolate centre. We have since driven the 40 minute journey from Cardiff to return with the whole family and everyone enjoyed their food. My only suggestion would be when you are handed the lunchtime menu the server should inform you what the pie of the day, curry and stir fry of the day is but that’s just my suggestion. If your looking for a friendly pub with a log fire and fresh amazing food then the Carpenters arms is a must

Date of visit: December 2019