Villa de Los Monos(Playa Matapalo)
Expedia
7,258 results
All reviewsriu guanacastecosta ricasports barzip lininghorseback ridingpura vidasteakitalian restaurantspecialty restaurantshot springsmonkey barhowler monkeysmake reservationsocean viewrainy seasonblack sandsushi
Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

This hotel claimed to be 5star but was only 3 star at best. Food was terrible only a very poor buffet for lunch mainly leftovers from the night before and not hot. You can visit the a la carte restaurants if you don’t mind joining a long queue at 6 pm! Rooms are very outdated and no toiletries provided just a small soap.
Pools are nice but by the afternoon very full and dirty.
Usual problem with sun beds being reserved from crack of dawn
So many more problems I wouldn’t know how to begin
I would never visit a Riu hotel again and regret that I spent so much money on this trip, I could have gone back to Mauritius instead for the same price
On the plus side the weather was great!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank Gale M
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Guanacaste, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2018

Dear guest,

Many thanks for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

We are committed to providing excellent quality of products and services to our guests. It is disappointing to learn that you left our hotel thinking otherwise. We appreciate our guests’ comments since they help us improve our services, and for this reason, we will share your impressions with the relevant department in line with the main goal to achieve the highest levels of customer satisfaction.

We really hope you will give us a second chance to redeem ourselves and to demonstrate the high standards of guest service and quality that are typical at our resorts.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

The riu palace was dope! I would stay there again! The pools were great the staff was friendly the food could be better but there were plenty options so i got to choose from a few diff items.... stay at the palace and you can use both resorts!

Stayed: July 2017
3  Thank msdanistravel
Reviewed 29 May 2018

First time to Costa Rica, second time in a Riu. We stayed at this Riu Palace because we stayed at the Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas which I would rate at a 9 - very impressed with that Riu Palace. I would say this Palace is a 7; slightly lesser quality drinks, food, and maintenance of facility. However, we still had a nice time and no major complaints. Staff was courteous, and front desk moved us (no questions asked) when we found out our room was right outside the nightly entertainment stage. (If you go to bed before 11, be sure to ask for the "quiet side" of hotel). One thing I will mention is that drinks at the disco are not included with this hotel; in Cabo, the disco was on site; drinks included. At this property, the disco was on the Riu Palace/Riu Guanacaste compound and cover was free - but drinks were extra. Needless to say we did not go.

As for Costa Rica, we visited the Eco-park next door which was really nice. We also took the 20 minute boat taxi ride to Coco Beach - disappointed in that area, nothing to do after a quick walk through some shops. Overall, nice resort but I am looking forward to trying different Riu Palaces in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet side if you go to bed before 11 pm
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

So me and my cousins just came back from Riu Guanacaste. Our first time in Costa Rica. It’s a beautiful island and the people are really nice. But our stay at this hotel was horrible and management was not good as well. We booked two rooms and specified that the rooms be next to each other and close to main floor due to i have a knee injury. They put us on the 4 th floor and was a long walk. I then expressed to them my concern and told me the next day they would fix the issue and they never did. Every time i tried going to reception. The line was too long so 3 days later i finally was able to speak to someone and the manager who promised to fix the issue. Actually stood behind ignored me and my concerns. Very unprofessional. I asked for a higher manager and never got one i was told to lower my voice and i wasn’t even yelling. I explained to the clerk the to wasn’t even made at him but was upset with customer service overall. I felt i should of been compensated for the overall inconvenience and when i said that to them they told me they can change my room and at that point we had a day and half left and i expressed why did i have to come back to fix the issue they were suppose to. The rooms we had were dirty i took photos. Alot of bugs. I had a friend tell me they made her bed with the same sheets. And the food selection is bland and when we checked in they didn’t give us towel cards for the pool and didn’t explain that we had to make reservations for restaurants which had the best food. Which one night we were unable to eat. The buffets were only good for breakfast. Overall our stay here sadly was a 2 on a scale of 5. They present like they’re a 4 star hotel it’s not. Ask the Riu palace is the sister hotel and we we’re told we couldn’t go there yet we seen people from palace come to our hotel. If your traveling with just adults stay at palace then here. Also the night life was terrible they advertise like they have nightlife. It was so boring it’s theatre pretty much and the disco was not good as well and DJ just played mainly Spanish music and bass was terrible. It was because of me and my cousins who made the party and demanding some decent music. Other wise at night you’ll just fall asleep.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank Mandii2much
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Guanacaste, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for expressing your concerns.

Firstly, it is important to note that room requests are always subject to availability and we cannot guarantee a specific kind of bed or location, however, you can ask for it when doing your reservation and if it is available our staff would be glad to grant your request.

We sincerely hope you will give us another chance to demonstrate the high standards of service and quality that are typical of our hotels.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

We traveled with a group of 8 people total - all adults, all friends/family. The hotel is a quick drive from the Liberia airport. The resort property is well maintained. The pictures for the ads are very old as the resort is much more densely grown with much more shade from giant palms. Recent traveler pics are much more accurate. The restaurants are decent but since they don't take reservations, you should get in line at 5:45 PM (they open at 6 PM), especially if you had a large group like we did. We were turned away when trying at 7 PM as there were 60 people on the list in front of us at such an early hour. We all wanted rooms on the same side of the building, which our 1 room was not, but the hotel quickly remedied the concern which was great. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. We also had room service take dirty towels but not leave clean ones, but again this was quickly resolved with a quick call to the front desk. The beach is not light sand at Riu Guanacaste, but the area next door at Riu Palace is ... the Riu beach is lava/dark sand and there are not as many trees on the beach now as in the picture, though there are some. However, the beach merchants take up the shady spots. The evening entertainment was GREAT! Very talented entertainers and dancers put on a great show each night. The workout room / gym is VERY nice with great selection of equipment - treadmills, ellipticals, weights. There are a few nice shops on the property as well which sell souvenirs, clothes, a coffee/ice cream shop, bathroom/personal items (in case you forget something!) and a doctor's office. Overall it was a nice trip.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank Starfish1970

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a valued feedback following your recent stay at our hotel. As a service minded hotel chain, it means a lot to us to know that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and that our nightly entertainment as well as our gym fulfilled your expectations.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back at one of our RIU hotels soon in order to deliver the high standards of guest service and quality which are typical at our resorts.