“Great atmosphere ”
Review of The Greyhound

The Greyhound
Reserve with OpenTable
The Greyhound is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$6 - US$26
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

Great food, great decor, friendly staff. We had a Christmas party here last year and the food was top notch.

Vicki C, General Manager at The Greyhound, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2018

Thank you very much for your lovely review and I do hope that you will consider us again for your Christmas celebrations.
I look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Reviewed 1 October 2018 via mobile

We went with some friends for a Sunday roast, I haven’t eaten here before but we live locally so keen to try it.

The main issue was the ridiculous wait times for food for an early Sunday evening dinner. We ordered food before 6pm and starters arrived some 45 mins later. The mains (standard roasts from what was left available) were around another hour arriving just before 8pm. The restaurant looked nearly empty and there was no conscious update from the staff that they were aware of the delay. When prompted we were advised they were a minute away which wasn’t quite correct. The delay meant we were in complete agreement not to have dessert.

The food was ok and staff polite but I really can’t understand how it can take this long to get standard food out and dread to think what it would be like during a busy service.

If you are going to charge nearly £20 for a roast dinner, the service also needs to reflect the price.

Sadly we won’t be back.

1  Thank Ravi B

Dear Ravi

Thank you for your review and my sincere apologies for the delay, it had been a very busy lunch service and a couple of items had had to be prepared and cooked from fresh which had caused the delay but my sincerest apologies that this wasn't communicated to you at the time.

I do hope that you won't allow this to be your final impression of us and that you do return to give us another chance to show you that this experience wasn't our standard.

Reviewed 28 September 2018

Not been here for a while, so thought we'd try it again for a simple lunch. The car park was almost empty as was the pub, so no problem with not having booked. The waitress was very pleasant although we did have to find her later to pay. Chicken and bacon open sandwich on rye was pretty average and the chicken rather tough; the prawn and egg open sandwich definitely underwhelming. We had chips which were good, but at £9 each the sandwiches were disappointing, especially when the prawn eater was later ill. Coffee was good, but that unfortunately wasn't meant to be the highlight of the meal.

1  Thank Goldofish
Reviewed 27 September 2018

I've used The Greyhound for business meetings a few times over the years, but recently (August Bank Holiday Monday) we went for a social lunch. The facility was busy without being crowded. Service was acceptable and the food really nice (we had the Ploughman's).

Vicki C, General Manager at The Greyhound, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2018

Thank you for your lovely review and I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit.
I do hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 September 2018

Visited early on a Sunday evening. Our waitress was fairly new but was very welcoming, attentive, friendly and got answers to all our questions. However one very simple request was ignored by the kitchen and one meal had to be sent back for correction. The food cannot be faulted and was very tasty and well cooked. The food is pricey but you get much more than a standard roast.

The ambience is not great. Our waitress was tastefully dressed in black and very tidy. Other staff looked rather dishevelled eg, low hanging jeans and lumberjack shirt, and the bearded chef had no headwear in the kitchen. A dog kept barking from the pub area. The decor looks rather sterile. The menu prices are printed without £ and with minimal decimal places, eg “9” or “7.4” - very pretentious.

The car park is rather haphazard, had NO lighting and was difficult and dangerous to negotiate in pitch dark.

We had good food, paid quite a lot and overall I was not impressed and would not return.

Dear Paul

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry to read that everything was not as it should have been on your visit. Whilst mistakes sometimes do happen, it is disappointing to see that we were unable to resolve the situation to your satisfaction and I can only express my apologies that it happened at all.

I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to show that this was the exception and not the rule and that we see you back again soon.