All reviews comfortable room the owner tourists terrace town umbria
Reviewed 24 June 2018

We were at the Albergo del Teatro for 3 nights in May 2018 with a Road Scholar tour. Our second floor room was quite roomy, all marble, nice bathroom and had wonderful view of the valley out our window. There was a covered veranda just steps from our room that had the most awesome views of the entire valley below. Great place for morning coffee or afternoon wine! They don't speak much English but they bent over backwards to make our stay most enjoyable. Probably the best hotel we stayed at our entire time in Italy. And we loved the little village of Spello too!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

My young adult nieces and I checked out of Albergo del Teatro this morning after three nights. The rooms are immaculate and have the conveniences you'd expect from a good three star hotel - nothing fancy but pleasant and well maintained. Outstanding value at the rates charged.

The staff and husband-wife owners were a delight - always trying to help us better enjoy our visit, whether getting us drinks while we sat on the terrace of the main hotel (Il Cacciatore, maybe 50 meters from our building), giving us hiking directions, or helping us park our car in their tight garage. Or sharing their high-powered binoculars, or starting breakfast (pastries homemade) an hour early because we had to leave for the airport. There's only one staff who's fluent in English but between their basic English and my basic Italian we managed to communicate.

Spello is so charming it almost hurts. You can walk around the town in under an hour, and most of the tourists (it clearly is a tourist town) are Italian. In fact the English-speaking staffer at the Albergo seemed a bit surprised that Americans had found Spello. My nieces were thrilled to see a bit of Italy not so overrun with norteamericanos as central Rome and Florence, which we visited first.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2017

I spent four nights from 30 April until 4 May 2017 at this hotel. Initially I booked fro 3 nights, but stayed an extra night because I liked it so much. It is in a charmingly old but quiet part of the center of Spello. The hotel and room has an attractive design, and there is a spectacular view from the terrace of the Umbrian hills.
The owners and employees are very courteous and helpful. I was even given a ride to the train station by the owner the morning that I left. I truly loved staying here.
I encourage anyone visiting Spello to consider this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2016

Il Teatro is situated in a quiet street on the upper side of the main town squares in Spello (itself a beautiful town; full of old buildings, squares and set in lovely countryside). It is actually twinned with the Cacciatore so you may find the reception for some of the time is situated there (about 50m further up the street). Access by car I imagine would be difficult and you would have to park away from the hotel. This is part of the charm and attraction of these towns, there is very little traffic.
The hotel has a small reception and lounge area just behind; there is a lift for the upper floors. Our room was on the ground floor at the rear; it was spacious with a comfortable bed and sofa, desk and ample storage. The marble bathroom was well appointed with an excellent shower. The view was a bit restricted in this room but the upper rooms will have beautiful views over the hills at the back. On the upper floor there is a terrace with easy chairs offering such a view.
Breakfast is in a downstairs dining room; a beautiful old room and has self service buffet style with coffee, croissants etc being brought by the very cheerful and friendly staff.
In terms of location the hotel is situated on the edge of the town centre and is literally a couple of minutes walk from the main squares. In the other direction there is a few minutes walk to one of the town gates where there are extensive trails into the hills behind the town so is perfect for exploring.

Room Tip: The upper floors will have the views.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2016 via mobile

Spelling is a fantastic base for exploring the Umbrian hill towns. And teatro Del Albergo is the ideal place to stay. This small hotel is in the center of the town - inside the ancient walls- and offers comfortable and clean rooms with welcome extras, like heated towel bars, a locket breakfast buffet and staff who bend over backward to help ( one of them even offered us her own umbrella on a day of drenching rain when she surely would need it herself). Their cappuccinos are terrific too. You'll love it

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple