“Barley NO!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 August 2021 via mobile

What to say… I left this place deflated and wishing we’d never stopped by.

The staff are unfriendly, unhelpful. Awkward and just plain unprofessional. I’d ordered two of an item for one to turn up. And when it did arrive the waitress kicked a bowl of water over my partner with zero apology or acknowledgment beyond an “Oh”.

I told the waitress that I had ordered two and she said “No there was just one on the order” and hurried away. No offer to check, no apology, no mention of coming back with an answer.

So it left me having to queue again to investigate and my partner sat outside with a soaking wet leg. After some bumbling from the staff, finally they realised they could check what I had ordered by looking over my receipt… the wonders of modern techno… oh.

So I had paid, they just messed the order up. No apology yet again. Just a strange explanation of the obvious. Then I was looking at a puzzled face looking back at me asking if I indeed wanted the missing item I had paid for…? Who then checked “so you do want it?” When I confirmed.

All in all, this place gave me a lot to look back on and laugh at but not for any good reasons. Will certainly stay away.

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (368)

Reviewed 18 August 2021 via mobile

Absolutely shocking experience today. We stopped by after a dog walk, presuming as it’s a farm shop they would accommodate this.. wrong. You have to sit outside whilst someone else goes in for you. Limited choice. No menus outside. We asked for some water for our dogs and this never came. Luckily we found some but the container was mouldy.. When the dark haired girl came out she kicked the water all down my legs and in my shoes. No sorry. No let me get more water or tissues or anything. Gee thanks! They had charged us for two brownies but only brought one out which took about ten minutes to resolve and rectify. This place looks lovely on the pictures and was so excited to try this and revisit but it’s a no from us. Rude unhelpful and unprofessional

Reviewed 15 August 2021 via mobile

Popped in on way home from a long road trip, just needing a coffee to refuel. It was 15:45pm and as they closed at 16:00pm, we asked if it was possible to get a quick coffee. Informed it was but they would be closing at 4pm. So we ordered two drinks, used the restroom and took a seat. We were brought out drinks at 3:58pm in disposable cups and told they were closing so we needed to be quick. My tea was completely stewed, and I have never felt so unwelcome, by such unfriendly sour faced staff. Will never stop there again.

Reviewed 6 August 2021

We have been customers of Barley Mow, the restaurant and the farm shop, for many years and until now have had nothing but praise for them. However today we went there for lunch, our first meal out for eighteen months. We were really looking forward to it. My husband had phoned Barley Mow on Tuesday to book a table and was told that they were not taking bookings for small groups as 'there is plenty of room, no need to book'. We arrived there at 12.20pm and there was not a single table available, except tables for six or eight people all marked Reserved. When we complained we were told we could eat at a table outside. It was raining! We left hungry and more than a little upset. Is this the way they treat regular customers?

Reviewed 26 July 2021

Popped in on our way back home, pickled up some homemade cakes and sausages rolls which were delicious. Friendly staff who were very enthusiastic!!

Date of visit: July 2021