All reviewsla cantinagordon ramseywine cellartuscan countrysidepool areathe hotel managerconverted monasteryour honeymoonsalt poolspa experienceeach morninglarge bathroomspent daysjunior suitespa facilitiessmall grouptasting menu
Reviewed 9 August 2018

At the end of July, my wife and I stayed for three days at Castel Monastero, near Siena, Toscana, a Leading Hotel of the World member.
Supposedly a five-star hotel, offered us nothing but problems during our stay. The list of complaints is comprehensive, but just to mention a few of them: although we had paid for a deluxe room, our bathroom was unsuitable for two people to use it with minimum standards of comfort. There was only one sink, mounted in a base less than 1 meter in length.
The room a/c was totally uncapable and badly kept, unable to work at peak summertime.
The hotel restaurant was no good, with the poorest service possible. The head waiter was unpolite and arrogant. When you add these features to total confusion and no ability to deliver, you have the perfect formula for failure.
Breakfast was a joke - the guests had to wait more than 30 minutes to get a simple glass of water, since the water bottle and the glasses were never at the same time in the buffet table.
During our 3-day stay, the fridge in our room never had a single replacement, neither the amenities in the bathroom.
Definitely, an experience to forget, delete from our memories and never return.

1  Thank sergio a
Reviewed 6 August 2018

We spent a few days in Florence then drove to Monastero d’Ombrone in the Tuscan countryside to stay at Castel Monastero – a member of the Leading hotels of the world. As we approached, the first impression was “wow”. Very picturesque and exactly as imagined. A lone traditional building (set of buildings) on a hill in the middle of woodland and vineyards. Quite breath-taking. My first time in Tuscany and I’m overawed by the beauty.
We parked the car in a hotel car park – but were hastily approached by someone who greeted us and said he’d deal with the luggage and car. He took us by buggy to the reception where we had a very friendly and efficient check-in, and taken to our room. The rooms are in a number of small buildings scattered around the property. Ours was a standard room but it was excellent. Bed was a king, lovely bathroom, plenty of space, wardrobe, safe, TV and minibar. The only criticism I’d have would be that there was no drawer space for clothes other than a shelf in the wardrobe.
There are 2 restaurants at the hotel – Cantina and Gordon Ramsey’s Contrada. We tried the each a couple of times. The Cantina is a traditional Italian set in a vaulted cellar. Very atmospheric. Food was lovely and the service impeccable. The Contrada is a fine dining experience set in the hotels main courtyard. It has Gordon Ramsey’s name but he wasn’t actually there. The setting is magnificent. Very romantic. We went on our second and last nights and each time had a tasting menu with paired wine. On one occasion we also had a classical quartet playing for us. It was a beautiful setting and a wonderful meal. The food was as good as many of the high end London restaurants.
Breakfast each day was in the courtyard Contrada restaurant. Excellent buffet but with a la carte if you wanted it (I had freshly made poached eggs a couple of times).
The hotel has a set of 3 pools (one shallow for children). The water is cold but you quickly get used to it.
Service across the board from reception to waiting staff, room cleaners and bar staff is excellent. In particular I’d mention Gabrielli one of the waiters who was always very friendly, provided excellent service and even remembered our name.
There are a few walks around the hotel through the woods but if you want to go to a nearby village then you have to drive.
I would thoroughly recommend this 5 star hotel in a glorious setting with excellent service, food and accommodation.

Room Tip: All rooms are good
1  Thank Leslie G
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed at Castel Monastero for our minimoon. The atmosphere is classy without being pretentious and the staff are knowledgeable & helpful. Our room (deluxe) was spot on & the pool area one of the best maintained I have ever experienced (which is saying something!!!).
The food on site was first class - in fact our only grumble is that when we wanted to go off site for a change of scenery, the taxis to the nearby village were eyewateringly expensive. If you do go out of an evening though, we would thoroughly recommend the Enoteca in CastelNuevo.
All in all a real treat.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

The hotel has a lot of potential. The problem is the staff. It all started upon our arrival. The ladies at the front desk seemed frazzled and not accommodating whatsoever. We asked to book a dinner reservation at the hotel and was told it would be impossible for that particular evening. My husband took it upon himself and strolled down to the restaurant and we were seated immediately. Total disconnect. The staff needs some refinement. It’s hardly five star. 3.5 at best. I also had a very unfortunate visit to the spa. I do not recommend this property until they get their kinks worked out. Huge disappointment.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Griz19
Reviewed 4 August 2018

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights in a deluxe room. The room was nicely decorated, comfortable and clean, but a little dark (our room was on ground level facing the courtyard). Large bathroom. The tub/shower was a little hard for me to get into as I'm short, and may be difficult for those who have mobility issues. Staff was helpful, professional and friendly, and explained where everything could be found in the room and on the property. We had dinner in La Cantina both nights and enjoyed it, nice ambience and décor. I have a number of food allergies and the host did review my allergy card and let me know if what I was interested in eating was safe, however, other restaurants I've been to on this trip and others have been a little more helpful and proactive. My husband and I had drinks at the bar by the library after dinner each night. We were surprised more guests were not there as it had a nice ambience for an after dinner drink (not sure if more people come before dinner). Breakfast was in the courtyard each morning, good selection of food. The pool area was clean with a good amount of sunbeds, and you have the ability to order lunch or drinks. The atmosphere of the hotel overall is quiet/relaxing with an upscale vibe.