B&B La Zudrea(Otranto)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshouse staffcommunal tableindoor poolpuglia regionglass of wineyogurtmercedesgoatscowsbaskhorsessaunaantoniohostsfarmhousenoisemeats
Reviewed 5 November 2017

I spent three days last week together with my husband and 2 sons. And I left with the feeling of having stayed in a very close and familiar place, as if the owners were friends. This is one of those places where you would like to get lost... Mercedes and Antonio, the owners, are real hosts, engaging with you as if you were a friend, they were extremely helpful, and always willing to please, Antonio even took his bike to show us the way to the beautiful bike excursion to St Andrea by the coast.
The breakfast was the best I have ever had in a hotel, really amazing. Not to mention the dinner that Antonio prepared only for the 4 of us in the evening. The staff, Anna and Ahmed, were also charming and attentionate, always present and willing to help.
The kids loved the swimming pool, and so did we.
Everything is really charming, not to mention the beautiful landscape with all the animals which are as in paradise there... The masseria is very well placed, close to Otranto (so beautiful city) and to an amazing coast.
We really hope to be able to go back. We loved this place. Congratulations for Antonio and Mercedes, they really built an amazing place...

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2017

We had the chance to spend 10 days at this luxurious place with our small dog. Our dog enjoyed his time at the Masseria with other animals. All facilities swimming pool, spa, ... are fantastic. we had the feeling to be at home. The owner, Antonio and Mercedes, were offering a very nice hospitality, were spontaneous and generous with all guests.

The team is very friendly and is offering high level service.

The breakfast is incredible with so many homemade food. We had also the chance to enjoy a couple of dinner at the Masseria. What an experience to have fresh rare fishes. We love it so much.

Thanks for this great stay and we will be back soon.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WorldSkiing
Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

A very warm and friendly place. Snowing when we were there so that limited our enjoyment of what the B & B had to offer.
We would have preferred to have had a room upstairs as we were right off th kitchen and living room which was very noisy and not very private . Great breakfast and loved the design and decor.
Generous and friendly hosts .
Would stay again .... in summer!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2016 via mobile

Have spent a week at Prosperi with my girlfriend. We enjoyed it a lot - trusting this is a polarizing place.

We arrived, were greeted nicely and our luggage was taken care of. We had a very nicely decorated ground floor room , big incl a walk in closet, an exit to an open terrace a bathroom and a seperate toilet / bath/shower room. ( our room - Nr 5 was very nice - Mercedes knows what I think about the shower curtain - and will apply changes ;-) )

We loved the friendly staff and warm owners ( Mercedes and Antonio ) , the decor, the space. We like the table d hotes concept, Meeting and chatting with others. Breakfast was good standard for Italy , extras are quickly taken into account. Overall your wishes are very quickly catered for. Good recommendations for food, beach etc.

We also loved the dinners. Some complain them as expensive at 50€ all in. I would count 2 of them even cheap, price value wise , considering quantity and quality , 1 was not my cup of tea. If you mention wishes they are likely to be fulfilled. Personally (Snob!) unwound prefer to pay a bit less and the pay extra for a selfchosen wine. That said - Antonio was generous with me.

So bottomline for us 5 Stars.
And for families with kids probably 6y

What would made me give 4 instead is - managing expectations

What might make you not like prosperi - and I believe this should be very clear :

If you do not like animals : stay away. There is cats, dogs, chicken, horses , donkeys. Horses , goats, geese.... (and more)
Card and dogs approach - which some might have a problem with. Also on the sun beds or the sofas you are likely run into cat hair, so if allergic...

Noise:
The two rooms on the bottomfloor ( 5 and ? ) are very near the communal table - so if the breakfast is in he inside, noise can be rather near you. We are relatively relaxed on that - in know others .

We loved it - and might return. So as for "sensible" guests on animals / noise - better not.
We again enjoyed the interesting stories of our hosts, the masseria , the privacy at the pool, pool and beach towels, the decor, the bed was comfy.

5* for me

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mini2006
Reviewed 25 September 2016

<pppppfffffffffftttttttttt>

That's the sound of me heaving a huge sigh as I stare off into the distance remembering our lovely stay at Masseria Prosperi. I honestly have no idea how we stumbled upon this lovely property as the final resort we would stay in during our two week honeymoon, but I can honestly say that when I look back on this special trip, I will always have visions of Masseria Prosperi as one of the highlights. I could not be happier that we had the fortune to find this little gem and complete our honeymoon stay there.

The masseria is quite small - only six guest rooms - and is comprised of only the main guest house building and the owners' single-story home next door. The masseria has onsite an indoor (heated) pool, an outdoor pool, a sauna, massage rooms (you must schedule a massage ahead and at additional charge), a comfortable patio and a farm yard full of goats, donkeys, chickens, horses, and cows. There are also four farm dogs and seven cats running free throughout the property. The whole show is run by Antonio and Mercedes, your warm and inviting hosts, and a cast of house keepers, cooks and other support staff.

When we arrived we were greeted warmly by Mercedes, who speaks excellent English, and acquainted us with the property and with our room. She explained that dinners are available each night for 50 Euros per guest and let us know what would be served that evening. Having arrived close to 5pm and having no desire to locate an alternative dinner option, we decided to have dinner on the property. Best decision of our entire trip.

Our suite was comfortable, spacious and chic, balancing both the feeling of a farmhouse and little luxuries that made our stay even better. The room had a lovely bath with a double shower (two rain shower heads with independent temperature controls - perfect for my husband who takes tepid showers while I love to bask in the steam) and a share terrace with chairs and chaises overlooking the animal pen below. I was a little concerned that our proximity to the animals might lead to some unpleasant smells or noise, but that was absolutely not the case. It was lovely to be able to watch the animals at our leisure.

We weren't able to get WiFi in our room, so we headed down to the first floor of the house around 7pm to catch up on email and such before dinner at 8:30. Around 7:30, one of the house staff, Giro, invited us to have a glass of wine on the terrace and served us aperitivo of carrot and celery sticks drizzled with balsamic and olive oil with flaky sea salt, tarralli (traditional Puglian olive oil crackers in doughnut shapes), and olives. Other guests began to trickle onto the patio and we struck up conversations. By the time dinner began, twelve people were gathered around the table.

The wine flowed freely during dinner as plate after plate of gorgeous raw and cooked vegetables, salads, and pasta arrived. Half of the table were english speakers, while the other half was Italian speakers. We sat in the middle, taking in both sides of conversation. When the pasta arrived, Giro dropped a handful of dried chiles on the table. I wondered what to do with them, then saw Antonio remove the end of the pepper, roll it in his fingers, and sprinkle the spicy seeds onto his pasta. Brilliant. I told Mercedes that I always wondered what the use of a chile wreath was since, in the US, they generally just collect dust on the wall. The joie de vivre at that table was just intoxicating. We ate at the masseria every night thereafter and it was, hands down, the best food we ate in Italy.

If you plan to eat dinners with the family, expect a lot of fish and seafood, pasta, and vegetables. It's a typical Puglian diet without much meat. In the three dinners we ate there, we had dishes as diverse as raw zucchini with mint, broiled cherry tomatoes, fried eggplant, grilled carrots and zucchini, marinated chicory, tiny fried fish, rocket and tomato salad, large fried fish, pasta with white wine and tuna, oricchette with tomato and basil, pasta with clams, raw red shrimp, marinated beets, delicate peach tiramisu, chocolate salame, and a delicious vanilla custard dusted with cinnamon that tasted like Christmas.

Breakfast is included with your room and is served buffet-style. It includes cheese and meats, breads, yogurts and cereals, farm eggs, juice, tea and coffee. Each day there was a sweet, too, like a marmalade tart or a nutella roulade. Everything was delicious.

Honestly, if you love food, stay here. Eat the food. At 50 Euros per head for dinner and breakfast included, it's a bargain.

We went out to wander nearby towns during the day and generally returned mid-afternoon for a dip in the pools, both of which were lovely and relaxing. Our room was very comfortable, the AC worked perfectly, and the terrace was a nice touch. The lack of WiFi inside the room was the only thing I could possibly criticize about our stay, but it was not a big deal at all and probably helped us mingle more with the other guests as we sat in the common areas checking our email and planning the next day's activities.

My husband pointed out to me during our stay that it's possible to rent out the entire property and, frankly, I'd love to do that in the future for a vacation with more friends and family. Masseria Prosperi was the perfect crowning jewel to an already-amazing honeymoon. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Spring for the suites on the second floor. You'll get great views of the countryside and a shared terrace.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple