“Terrible visit, disappointing start to fathers day”
Review of The Barn Brasserie

The Barn Brasserie
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Great Tey
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 27 June 2018

Ok, I don't like leaving bad reviews. If we have a problem with a place, we normally speak to the venue first and try and deal with it rather than naming and shaming. However, the level of ignorance that the staff showered us with leaves no choice.

We arrived at the barn for father's day breakfast. Greeted by a well dressed gentleman who showed us to our table straight away. A waitress came over and offered the two adults tea or coffee almost instantly. The kids were not asked if they wanted a drink.
We checked over the menu and decided what we wanted. After about ten minutes the waitress came over and topped up the hot drinks.
The kids were still ignored. No food order was taken either.

After about another five-ten minutes we managed to get one of the many staff's attention and ask if someone could take our food order and if someone could get some drinks for our kids.

The waitress took our order. My wife has an intolerance to mushrooms and she asked if she could not have the mushroom and have it swapped for a tomato. The waitress said that they were not making changes to the menu. So my wife asked if they could just leave the mushroom off then.

The food came (mushroom included!) and it was cold and parts of it were burnt. The eggs benedict were very nice to be fair.
Toast was brought out with no butter or jams, even though they were part of the breakfast offered on the menu.
There was no salt and pepper on the table but as with everything else, good luck trying to get someone's attention.

Our drinks had run out, and we were trying to get the attention of someone to order some more, to no avail. The restaurant had already started emptying out and they were busy getting ready for the lunch service, even though there was an abundance of staff and still some occupied tables, we were being ignored. In the end we gave up waiting for more drinks and managed to get the attention of someone to get the bill. The bill was brought over and we were waiting for someone to bring us our change. There was no way we were going to leave a tip. In the end we got so bored of waiting for someone to come and see us we left the money and walked out. We tried to talk the well dressed gentleman on the way out but the senior staff had all disappeared.

We got in the car and phoned the restaurant and ask to speak to someone to make a complaint. The lady on the phone asked a few questions and asked us to email the restaurant and await a reply. She couldn't really be bothered just as much as the waiting staff couldn't be bothered. We emailed the restaurant but after a week and a half still no reply. £50 wasted on breakfast which was sub standard at best, served by very uninterested staff.

We were constantly trying to get someones attention and in the end we just literally gave up.

My wife has been there a few times with clients for lunches and dinners, and has always come back being quite happy with the food and the service (I have never been so have never had cause to review it)
If the management would like to speak to us about any of this, feel free to leave a reply in the comments.

8  Thank GandC1994

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

We went to The Barn on our wedding Anniversary, i had heard a lot about it and wasn’t disappointed . The setting is so beautiful and the barn itself is stunning . We had drinks in the courtyard first then was taken to our table . Food was amazing . We went for the set menu , so much choice . The service was so good , nothing too much trouble . The wine was also great and I’m fussy .Great touch having the pianist playing , she even played something we asked for , it made for a lovely atmosphere . This place is a little gem and so worth traveling to . Value for money 10/10 . Thankyou to all at the Barn for making our wedding anniversary so special . We will return very soon .
Ian & Ann

1  Thank Sunbelievable
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

I purchased an afternoon tea voucher for my nan for Christmas and decided to use it on Saturday afternoon. Myself, my mum and my nan all had a lovely afternoon shopping topped off with after tea to end our girly day out.The afternoon tea itself was lovely. The staff were very pleasant and attentive. When we came to pay it all went down hill went I had the pleasure of meeting amp. I went up to the tills to ask for the bill and advised the gentleman that we had a voucher to use. He abruptly told me “Yes well I need to see it.” So I went back to our table to fetch my phone. I showed him the voucher that I had purchased that had been sent to me via email. He snapped at me “ why didn’t you print it” I advised that it was sent to me via email so I wasn’t aware it needed to be printed ( no where on the email does it state that it needs to be printed off) he then responded by saying “Don’t you know how to print?” In a very patronising voice. I said that there was no need to be rude I wasn’t aware it needed to be done this way and again explained it didn’t say anywhere it needed to be printed. I thought that would be it but he continued to belittle me make me feel like a small child. The fellow manager could see I was getting upset at how was being spoken to and apologised on behalf of his colleague saying that he can be “brash!” And advised me to send an email to complain. He came back and continued to carry on saying that as it hadn’t been printed I would have been able to reuse on many occasions the same voucher as if I was some tramp that would take advantage of a £12.50 afternoon tea voucher. (The voucher runs out on Monday! How does he expect me to reuse it). I left the restaurant shaking and close to tears as this man had made me feel so awful. My mum went back inside to get his name as she could tell i was upset and wanted to complain about him. He continued to say that he didn’t know what he had said wrong and that he was simply going by what the owner wants. My mum explained to him that he did not need to speak to me as if I was 6 and all of his colleagues agreed that he was rude. He was reluctant to give over his name but she got it and left. another lady apologising for his behaviour as she left. As my mum was leaving she heard him storm out the back and shout at his colleague for agreeing that he was rude and brash. In the words of my £85 year old nan “he should of charged us the full bill without the voucher and he can go to buggery for any future customers from us”. I’ve never met such a horrible condescending & patronising “man”.He clearly had no respect for women or his customers.

10  Thank AbigailHill
Reviewed 22 June 2018

The Barn is a beautiful building and, as it is so spacious, the tables are not too close together. We booked for Fathers' Day and pre-booked our food from the set menu. Staff were polite and friendly but not over attentive - which suits the family! When dining at The Barn we expect good food and we enjoyed the meal but the main course was only just warm which was a bit disappointing.

Reviewed 17 June 2018

My title was taken from their website... The venue is quite imposing but the service was diabolical. Altho' our food turned up in a timely manner and was well cooked and tasty the table service we had was incredibly poor. We had to constantly ask for items, ranging from more tea coffee and milk, to more toast, ketchup and brown sauce (twice requested).
Basically the service was almost non-existant. I should add that there were many empty tables so it was not a case of the staff being 'run off their feet'
I took the trouble to email directly to the restaurant, with my observations, but sadly a week later I have heard nothing from this outfit, hence my review today.

4  Thank Sarge873