Golden Lion(St Ives)
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Expedia
All reviewsoverlooking the rivermeadow suitesunday lunchancient bridgebar mealsthree courseswedding partybuffet stylefunction roomample parkinga lovely stayone night staypuddingfull englishousevenuestarters
Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Great location. Hotel staff were very helpful. It's a nice place to spend a relaxing weekend and has nice garden area. Breakfast was decent. Hotel lawn area is great to spend evenings. Accessibility is great as well.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
Ravi G, Owner at Best Western Dolphin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2018

Hello Jayakrishnan

Thank you for your remarks. They will be passed on to staff who will appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

I booked this hotel for one night and spoke to the receptionist to ensure a wheelchair accessible room was available. I stated that although a wheelchair user, I did not need an adapted room, just as long as I could get into the bathroom.
I had to change the date but was allocated the same room.
When we got there the receptionist was chatting to a lady (certainly a member of staff) and we had to interrupt them to get checked in.
The receptionist asked for £140 which I queried because I was quoted, and agreed to, £100 for the room. She looked at the screen again and said “oh yes, there is a note here, did you not want breakfast?” (Breakfast would have been £10 per person which we had already stated we did not want). She then told us there was no food as the restaurant had shut at 3pm.
We were given keycards and directed to our room across the courtyard (no. 61). We went to it but there was a step up to the room. Also, the keycards wouldn’t work so my wife went back to reception. The receptionist then came with the same cards and tried them herself (obviously guests are incapable of operating the keycards themselves. She then went back to reception and came back with the master key for the room next door which she said was the same.
The room was actually really nice, spacious, well appointed and clean. The bed was like a board though. It had patio doors out to a balcony but you had to go back to reception for the key! The big problem was that the bathroom door was quite narrow so I couldn’t get into the bathroom. It was late and I’d had a long day so I gave up and went to bed.
When we checked out my wife tried to explain the issues we had had and the morning receptionist apologised.
For these reasons I cannot give more than a 2. The location is beautiful, the hotel looks really nice, but too many issues let it down.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Bob C
Ravi G, Owner at Best Western Dolphin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2018

Dear Mr. Clauson

I have received your complaint and fully investigated the matter. We do acknowledge that you did ring the hotel and request an accessible room and one was available and reserved for you at the time of the original booking. However, when you changed the dates, the accessible rooms were no longer available on the changed date. We did not receive any further communication from you asking whether we did have an accessible room for the changed date or we would have notified you that we did not. We did try and accommodate you with a room type based on what was available. Unfortunately, we have a limited supply of ground floor rooms and the room which you were given was the only ground floor room available.

I am sorry that you felt uncomfortable with the conversation. We have tried to emphasise to staff to make conversation with the guest so that we can make the stay more guest friendly. The questions asked were in the nature of where you were from, what brings you to the area, etc. These are routine questions we ask. Staff would have stopped making conversation had they known you were uncomfortable. We apologise to you for making you uncomfortable

I am sorry that you feel that the receptionist was trying to rip you off. That is certainly not our intention.

In relation to escorting you to your room to try the key cards, you have taken it in the wrong way. We routinely escort guests to their rooms as a service, not because we presume they cannot use the door lock. Your presumption on the intentions of the receptionist are completely wrong.

Again, I would like to emphasise that the accessible rooms promised to you were promised on the initial date of booking and when you changed the date, these rooms were not available. If you had kept the initial booking, you would have been given the accessible rooms.

I trust that you are satisfied with my investigation. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me at the hotel.

Ravi Gupta

Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

Booked as a base to attend a wedding at Slepe Hall.
Ideal location. Lovely to park the car and walk over the bridge for drinks before walking over to Slepe Hall.
Staff very friendly. Very happy with the stay and the bed was excellent. So much so we didn’t wake for breakfast.
If I stayed again I would bring a sleep mask as it was a bit bright at 5am.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank teuluoFon

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. We do hope you return and stay with us again.

Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

This hotel was chosen by a friend who has stayed previously and it was chosen because there are disabled friendly rooms of which we need two.It is situated right on the river with lovely views and pleasant surroundings .They do not have an evening restaurant ,only bar meals ,but as we have two wheelchairs ,they set up the table for us in the restaurant in the evenings and were very attentive .The breakfasts are really good ,plenty of cereals ,fruit and cooked food.

There are nice walks in the area and we were recommended a lovely tea and cake shop in the town but it was not wheelchair accessible.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Ravi G, Owner at Best Western Dolphin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2018

Dear Pam

Thank you for the review of your stay at the BW Dolphin. Your comments will be passed on to staff who will really appreciate the feedback.

Thank you.

Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

Every year my RAF friends and I have a reunion, as we have for the last 20+ years, and several times we have stayed at the Dolphin. This year the Dolphin has been taken over by new management and the standard has dropped significantly. We had been trying to book in for many months for a pre arranged function but received no reply regarding rates, many friends were given various rates but most received no response at all, because of this we booked elsewhere.
We did, however, meet our colleagues at the Dolphin and realised very quickly we had made the right decision.
The staff seemed to not know what was going on and appeared very unprofessional. Various rates had been charged to our colleagues for comparable rooms for no reason.
On approaching the bar one member of staff had clearly an odour issue which was clear from a distance, the bar was not clean and all real taps were closed leaving only lager available, I was assured that this would be remedied by the evening but that was not the case.
The toilets were disgusting, one bowl overflowing and the other cubicle with no lock.
The rooms, I gather from my friends were not too disappointing, although I did not visit them.
The overall impression I had was of a hotel in chaos, with an inexperienced management and staff, shame, as our previous visits left happy memories.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends