All reviews spa hotel beautiful hotel thermal pools leading hotels of the world junior suite old building frescoed ceilings third floor rooftop pool train station small village great spa salt pool staff were fantastic former palace cocktail bar spa staff
Reviewed 4 November 2018

All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. When we checked in it was assumed that I would like a massage after our day in Pisa. I said I would quite like a foot massage. I was taken to the spa reception area to book it. When I arrived for the foot massage in the evening, I think there must have been a misunderstanding due to language, but I received a full body Thai massage, which was absolutely fantastic, but what I really wanted was a massage on my feet. When we checked out, we had been charged 150 euro for the body massage, I would never ever have booked a full body massage had I known the price. I cannot blame anyone in particular, maybe it was down to my ignorance and lack of experience of staying in luxury spa hotels, but I do think this could have been communicated more clearly. We struggled to find anything to eat in the dining room as it was all too extravagant for our tastes, and there was absolutely nowhere to eat anywhere near the hotel, so we had to make do with a pizza from the kid's menu for my 16 year old son and 2 desserts for me and my husband. That "meal" cost us a further 100 euro, but we had no alternative. The room itself was beautiful, my teenage son particularly enjoying sleeping on a mezzanine floor. I would recommend this hotel to stay in, as long as you are used to eating things like spaghetti with squid ink.

Date of stay: October 2018
2  Thank squirty_mcnirty
Reviewed 21 October 2018

We stayed at Bagni di Pisa for one evening in late September, at the start of our Tuscan holiday. We chose the hotel because of its relative proximity to the airport and central trains station ( we were meeting friends the following morning) and because we enjoy hotels with classic charm as opposed to those that are more modern. We also wanted a hotel with a swimming pool for relaxation.
Getting to the hotel turned out to be a bit more challenging than we expected, although with Google Maps we arrived without undue problem.
Reception was very welcoming and helpful in settling us into our upgraded room. The room was beautiful -comfortable, clean, nicely appointed and with original frescoed ceilings-just the type of classic room we enjoy. The bathroom and shower were very nice, with thick towels and robes. Wi fi worked well.
The public spaces in the hotel were impressive with antiques and orginal frescoes. Some areas appeared in need of some revitalization.
We ate dinner at the restaurant. The food was quite good and the service excellent. We particularly enjoyed the maitre d'hotel who provided us with recommendations and great conversation.
There were several things that could have been better.
We were not provided with a tour of the spa facilities that would have been very helpful.
We were given a free hamam as part of our stay. However not knowing where this was, it took us quite a while to find it. No staff were around to help. We had hoped to swim after the hamam, but learned that the pools closed at an early hour and we could not use the facilities.
The following morning, before departing I did use the outdoor pool. It is much smaller than the pictures indicate and was filled with people who were enjoying the thermal waters. It is better suited to soaking in the waters than to swimming.
All in all the hotel met or exceeded our expectations. It is not for all, especially if you prefer more modern facilities. But if one wants to experience a hotel that reflects the luxury of a previous age, and is quintessentially Italian, it is well worth the stop.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
General M, Direttore generale at Bagni di Pisa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2018

Dear guest,

First of all, I want to thank you for deciding to review our Hotel. I am pleased that you appreciated the classic architecture of Bagni di Pisa and its quaint charm. I am happy that your stay was satisfying and rewarding, whilst I’m sorry for the unpleasant inconvenience with our Spa service, that I hope you had enjoyed anyway.

I look forward to have you soon again as our appreciated guest at Bagni di Pisa.

Warmest regards.

Reviewed 18 October 2018

We booked this hotel as a package through Citarlia, it’s Dark, dingy and desperately in need of updating and was a huge disappointment! We were booked in for 10 nights but after the first night decided that we’d be better off cutting our losses and fled home the next day.

It's seriously dated, and decorated with no panache or style, it’s very oppressive. If you’re interested in what a what spa looked like a 100 years OK it is fine for a short stay but not necessarily somewhere you'd want to hang out for any length of time.

The majority of the clientele were elderly, so it may appeal more to this generation. The dining room (where we ate breakfast) was cavernous, with no outside area. The option to eat in ones dressing gown was taken up by many of the guests, but this only increased the feeling that we were staying in a residential care home. We couldn't face the thought of eating there for dinner, so ate out in the local town.

The hotel looks quite different in real life compared to their website photographs, some clever use of creative photography. For example the outdoor swimming pools looks a reasonable size in their photos, in fact it was only 4m by 8m not enough to swim in and with only a dozen sun beds and enforced wearing of yellow bathing caps, in an outdoors swimming pool it was another huge disappointment!

Built as a municipal spa at the beginning of the last century this is more a 1920s a museum piece than a luxury hotel. Even though we had a superior room, it was very dark with a small window in one corner of the room. The main attraction of the hotel seems to be its spa facilities, it’s certainly not a place to go for typical summer holiday, I would estimate that it had less than 50% occupancy and that’s being generous.

Breakfast, you could have a freshly made omelette, I ordered one for my wife and I, 20 minutes pass and I catch the waiters eye, and he gives me that classic expression that he’s realised that he had forgotten to put our order in and rushes into the kitchen, 15 minutes pass and he reappears with an grey omelette (not two as I had ordered), looking like it’s fallen on the floor several times and quite frankly tasting like it too, my wife wasn’t bothered she didn’t get one.

The rooms have no drinking water so you have to use the mini bar at €3.00 a bottle, this is all far short of what we would expect of a 5 star hotel. It should not be part of the LHW group - it's simply not at that level, and raises expectations that are quickly dashed upon arrival.

We’ve tried in vain to get compensation from Citarlia, they’ve given very poor service so won’t be using them again either!

Room tip: Book somewhere else...
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Bagni di Pisa with us.
In regards of your considerations about the decision to stay just 2 days instead of 10, I would like to inform you that the original reservation was actually for 10 days, but, due to your personal reasons, you decided before your arrival to change dates and stay just for 2 nights.
Nevertheless, I’m sorry that our service didn’t meet your expectations, but I just want to highlight that our guests usually appreciate the architecture of our Hotel and its classic charm, while the spa is one of our spearheads, so your comments about them appear quite surprising to me.
I’m unpleased to notice the inconvenience you ran in about the breakfast and I would inform you that I’m personally monitoring the situation and I’ve notified it to the involved department.
In any case, we will take note of your considerations, as every review is very important for us in order to improve continuously our level of service.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

We stayed here 3 nites. Our room was on street side on 3rd floor with traffic noise. The air conditioning does not work in this hotel or maybe controlled by hotel, not sure, but we left windows open in order to keep room cool so dealt with traffic noise. My hubby asked for upgrade but was told hotel fully booked but you would never know it because extremely quiet. We were only one in bar each nite (maybe one or 2 other couples.). NO MUSIC! Like a morgue! Thank God bartender ( Fabio) made good drinks!! We ate in restaurant one nite and service/ food just ok. Again, very quiet and one did not feel like on vacation! We did not use Spa because very busy with site seeing but it seemed very hot! I think this hotel is more for locals who are looking for a quiet place to relax and detox! The historical architecture is interesting but I as a tourist would not recommend. But I definitely would recommend their sister hotel (Fontverdy). We absolutely loved everything about that hotel! Very lively environment! And beautiful setting! We want to go back! We have been in many 5 star hotels and the Fontverdy is at the top of the list!

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank MPattee
General M, Direttore generale at Bagni di Pisa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2018

Dear Guest,

First of all, thanks for your review.
I am happy that you have liked our cuisine and also the good drinks at our bar, whilst it’s a pity that you could not have enjoy our enchanting Spa.
It is unpleasant for me to notice that some aspects of your stay did not meet your satisfaction. I want to share with you that we have different types of accommodations and none of them is that close to the street, in fact as you could have noticed, the quiet of the ambient is one of our peculiarities and our guests usually appreciate it.
In regards of your consideration about the air conditioning, this fact is not usual and I am sorry that you ran in an unfortunate inconvenience.
I will take note of all your considerations, because every single comment helps us to improve our level of service towards our guests.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 18 September 2018 via mobile

What a special place. Gorgeous property, delicious food, and an amazing spa! I would highly recommend using the spa if you’re in the area. I would definitely stay here again if ever I’m back in Pisa! The staff is wonderful, too.
Just a wonderful visit!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
General M, Direttore generale at Bagni di Pisa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2018

Deaer Mrs Carolina,

thank you for your kind review. We hope to welcome you back soon to Bagni di Pisa.

Best Regards,