All reviewsglass museumwine tastingrose gardenbalsamic vinegarreading roomchef domenicocooking classragoutwinery tourformal restaurantheaven on earthour honeymoonmountain bikesan upgradebucket listevery eveningheated pool
Reviewed 19 June 2018

My husband and I have traveled extensively but we have never stayed in a place that was both as beautiful, relaxing and welcoming as Castello Banfi. I can't say enough about the wonderful staff, from the head chef to the wait staff to the reception desk. The view from our room was breathtaking and the grounds offered bike and walking paths throughout the Tuscan countryside. The accommodations were luxurious and comfortable. Every meal was delicious (including the one I made in my cooking class) and of course the wine was wonderful as well. My only regret is that we stayed for two nights and wish we had stayed for three!

Room Tip: I imagine all the rooms are great but I would ask for a room with a view of the vineyards.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Juan M, Direttore at Castello Banfi - Il Borgo, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2018

Dear Peggyewhite,

thanks a lot for your wonderful feedback about our staff which we all apprecitate very much. We are glad to know we exceeded your expectations and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming back at Castello Banfi during your next trip to Tuscany.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

Many other folks have captured the essence of this establishment in their reviews. Suffice it to say that the place has gracious hospitality and superb rooms. We were very impressed with all the staff. What really sets this place apart, besides being in a modern, renovated castle on beautiful grounds, is what you can do right on the site. One day we toured their fabulous winery, one of the best that we had ever seen; one day we did a wine tasting in their tasting area and visited the facility where they manufacture balsamic vinegar; then there is the glass museum and nice walking paths. The dinners were superb, as they have an exceptional kitchen. We enjoyed the five-course meal with wine pairings. Great dishes plated with artistic panache. Of course, their red wines have exceptional quality. It turns out that Banfi has a broad portfolio of wines, some from outside the area, such as from Piedmonte, where their excellent brut sparkler is produced. They also make a rose sparkler that is excellent. The staff set up a one-day tour with a driver for us to see local, historic towns (Montepulciano, Pienza, Montalcino, and Bagno Vignoni). This tour was perfect, not just because of the places we visited, but because the driver was very knowledgeable as a tour guide.

Room Tip: The junior suite that we had was superb
3  Thank cuisinator007
Juan M, Direttore at Castello Banfi - Il Borgo, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

Dear Cuisinator007,

thank you very much for your great review about Castello Banfi - Il Borgo and about all our services that your perfectly described.

We are glad you enjoyed your time on property and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at Castello Banfi during your next trip to Tuscany.

Best regards,

Reviewed 29 May 2018

The Castello Banfi - Il Borgo is in a class of its own. I stayed here for 4 nights in the Poggio all'Oro Suite, and it was worth every penny. The room was spacious, elegant, yet comfortably rustic in its classic Tuscan design and decor, not to mention quite large (1,184 square feet). The two massive bathrooms both offer large, glass-enclosed rainfall showers, and the bathroom adjacent to the bed contains a huge soaker tub perfect for immersing yourself and removing any leftover jetlag. There are shuttered windows on both sides of the suite that can be fully opened to let in the fresh Tuscan breezes or shuttered to allow you to sleep in if need be.

During my stay here, I was also given numerous "freebies" such as complimentary half bottles of Brunello and Banfi's dessert wine, "Rosa Regale." An additional complimentary bottle of red wine was also delivered to the room on my first evening there. There is also a daily complimentary Aperitivo offered in the Reading Room before dinner consisting of a selection of the Banfi wines combined with savory bites prepared daily from fresh ingredients.

My first night there, I dined at the on-site fine dining restaurant "Sala dei Grappolli". The 5-course tasting menu with wine pairings was also a complimentary perk of my stay. The chef included several additional delicious bites between courses, so I definitely sampled more than 5 compositions and the wine pairings were perfect. Truly impeccable creations from the chef -- several of the items I would never have typically ordered, but I was impressed by each one. Undoubtedly, one of the most memorably delicious dining experiences of my 15 days in Italy.

Impeccable service, a stunningly beautiful setting, and the attention to detail make a stay here worth repeating. Without a doubt, 5 stars.

1  Thank theroadtaken2
Juan M, Direttore at Castello Banfi - Il Borgo, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2018

Dear Theroadtaken2,

thanks so much for your wounderful feedback about Castello Banfi, our fine dining restaurant Sala dei Grappoli and most importante for our service.

We are glad that you appreciated what we do everyday in order to achieve our guests expectations and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

If you want to feel pampered in Tuscany, stay at the Castello Banfi. The service is impeccable, and every detail is attended to. Visit the glass museum on site, and sample wine at their wine bar. Dinners are an event not to be missed, and the vistas are magnificent. This hotel sits amid the vineyards of Banfi, which are beautiful. We toured the winery also, which gave us a sense of just how huge the winery is. The best word to describe our experience is "elegant."

2  Thank Daniel T
Juan M, Direttore at Castello Banfi - Il Borgo, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2018

Dear Daniel T,

thank you very much for your review and for your kind words. We appreciate very it very much and we are glad you had a great time at Castello Banfi.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming back again during your next trip to Tuscany.

Best regards,

Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

My wife & I were on our honeymoon and wherever we went I made sure that it truly was amazing. It is without a shadow of doubt that I say Castello Banfi is in a class of it's own.

No photo does this property justice, it's more beautiful and magical then any of the pictures. We spent a lot of our time simply walking around the tracks around the property to take it all in.

Beyond falling in love with the place, we fell in love with the staff. I thank my lucky stars that I had the foresight to book in the chefs table and cooking class (packages are great value for money too - book direct through the website as not available on booking websites). We had the pleasure of meeting executive chef Domenico Franco and sous-chef Samuele whom we shared such memorable time with. Their passion and love of their food and country is something special.

Finally, the rooms and amnesties were generous. Rooms were large and all items in the minibar were included.

My only criticism is that the breakfast offering was slightly lackluster from an otherwise exceptional experience.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Johnathan K
Juan M, Direttore at Castello Banfi - Il Borgo, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Dear Johnathan K,

thank you very much for your great feedback about Castello Banfi - Il Borgo and glad to know you enjoyed so much our property and the Chef's Table experience.

We will discuss with Domenico and his team in how we can make some improvements to the breakfast service.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon at Castello Banfi - Il Borgo.