All reviewsglass museumwine tastingrose gardenbalsamic vinegarreading roomchef domenicocooking classragoutwinery tourformal restaurantheaven on earthour honeymoonmountain bikesan upgradebucket listevery eveningheated pool
Reviewed 24 June 2015

It is honestly surprising to me how much effort it took to find out about Castello Banfi. This should be at the top of every European hotels list and was easily the best hotel I have ever stayed at.

Staff - Couldn't find a more friendly, supportive staff offering to help with absolutely anything you need. The best staff in all of Europe hands down.
Rooms - The rooms were absolutely perfect. Cleaned once, sometimes twice, per day, we often came home to find different little treats laid out for us on the bed.
Excursions - The excursions were perfect. HIGHLY recommend the cooking class. It is led by the head chef of the restaurant, Domenico, who has been professionally trained and has extensive experience in Michellin-starred restaurants. SO much fun, and the location is superb in a Tuscan villa on the property. The VIP tour and wine-tasting is also an absolute must.
Restaurant - The restaurant was absolutely delicious.
Amenities - BEAUTIFUL pool with a view from the top of the hill over all of Tuscany. Vineyards as far as the eye can see. Because the hotel is so small (only ~14 rooms), you more or less have the whole property to yourself at any given time.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joseph A
Reviewed 13 June 2015

We recently stayed at Castello Banfi for 6 nights. I cannot say enough about how great of any experience we had. I travel a lot for work and have high expectations for high end hotels. Banfi exceeded those, and then some. A few highlights:

The staff throughout the property is great. Very friendly and concerned about helping the guest. Front desk staff in particular was exceptional, as was the wait staff at La Sala dei Grappoli and the staff at the tasting room.

The quality of the room was superb, very spacious, immaculate attention to detail and great décor (and I am picky in this department!). The linens were excellent, the best of any of the four hotels we stayed at in Italy.

The views are hard to beat. Also with only 14 rooms I feel it offers the best of the "villa" life plus the conveniences of a hotel. Since I was traveling solely with my husband renting a multiple room villa in Tuscany didn't make sense, but we got some of the feel of staying in a villa by choosing Banfi.

Great location particularly for day trips to Montalcino and Montepulciano as well as Siena.

We did the cooking class with the chef Domenico. If you have a chance to eat at the restaurant, you will quickly understand what an incredible chef he is. I was delighted we did the class. He was very approachable, and taught us a lot about technique (as well as teaching us some incredible individual dishes). It is well worth the time and money and is one of my fondest memories.

Finally, I felt like they offered a lot of extras that really led to an exceptional opinion of our experience. They didn't nickel and dime anything. For example, there was ample complimentary water throughout the property and as others have noted there was a mini bar stocked with complementary sodas and wines when we arrived. The breakfast buffet as well as the made to order items were exceptional. There is also wine available in the library if you'd like a glass. To me, if you are staying at a luxury hotel, these little benefits are what set you apart.

We had the pleasure of meeting Pam Mariani, one of the founders. She was extremely welcoming and added so much to our trip.

We loved it so much we adjusted our plans to stay an extra day (rather than leaving for Rome). It was the best decision we made on our trip.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AimeeWH
Reviewed 30 May 2015 via mobile

This was our first time visiting southern Tuscany, and what a way to do it. The service at this hotel was exceptional. The concierge was incredibly helpful and the staff at large was just over the top friendly.

As I'm sure you've read in many of the other reviews, Banfi has a tremendously beautiful property, and the views afforded to you each day are just stunning. You never need to be reminded where you are, that's for sure.

One of the highlights of our stay at Banfi was the cooking class we signed up for. We lucked out and were fortunate enough to have our class taught by their head chef of Sala dei Grappoli, Domenico Francone. He was simply awesome to learn from. When you operate a high end restaurant I'm sure it can be difficult to dumb things down enough so that a group of six people can keep up... But he was just at such ease with all of us. Incredibly friendly, helpful and patient, we all felt like he really cared about teaching us the food we were preparing. We took a nice little 30min break to view the grounds around the barn house we were cooking in (it's a short drive from the hotel, in a different area on their property), and he gave us a nice overview of the grounds and the surrounding area. Highly highly recommended to take this class while you're there. And the resulting food was delicious!

The rooms are incredibly spacious, the service is outstanding, the concierge is top notch, the food is delicious, and the wine? Well it's Banfi, what more needs to be said?

Highly recommended!

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mhelman
Reviewed 18 May 2015 via mobile

One of the best places we have ever been
Our room was amazing with a breath taking view! The service was lovely, the restaurant was delicious, the wines were amazing, everything was perfect!
I really hope to go back to this magical place one day!
Super recommend Banfi as your destiny in Tuscan!

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Patricia M
Reviewed 6 May 2015

This property is so amazing you can't adequately express it in words. It is one of those places so good you don't want to tell too many people about, lest it be booked up when you want to be there. We are already thinking about how soon we can return.

Note, as someone commented, the location is remote. That is why we loved it; peaceful and quiet, offering serenity, great views and fantastic wines.

Room Tip: Splurge and book the Poggio All'Oro Suite
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Love2Travel_NE
Juan M, Direttore at Castello Banfi - Il Borgo, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2015

Thank you very much for this wonderful review, the location is indeed great for our guests that want to visit the heart of Tuscany and all what the region offers or just relax by the pool and enjoy all the services we offer on property.

I hope you can visit us in the next trip to Tuscany and till then I send you my best regards,

Juan Miquel