All reviews shared kitchen outdoor kitchen bus stop free coffee in the morning hammock area perfect hostel private rooms are cook your own food staff owners facilities are great great kitchen no hot water place to stay bunk beds great hosts laundry service friendly locals
Reviewed 4 February 2018

A well run hostel my the American owners, Roy is full of useful information about the local area and provided lots of good tips. The hostel is kept very clean, there's a decent kitchen and a laundry sink. Everything the backpacker needs and just a few steps from the beach.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Roy N, Owner at The Funky Dodo Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2018

Thank you so much for your review from all of us at the Funky Dodo!
Safe travels!

Reviewed 28 January 2018

Overall great place. Good location stayed for a week with a buddy. Nice that they have the option of private rooms for guest that are staying longer like we did. Price is perfect. Very clean & friendly staff.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank alis0nd0ug
Roy N, Owner at The Funky Dodo Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2018

Thank you so much from all of us at the Funky Dodo!
Safe travels, hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 January 2018 via mobile

We had a great stay at the Funky Dodo Backpackers Hostel, there's dormitory rooms available and private rooms, some ensuite like ours. The ambience of the place is what makes this place work so well. In addition the owners Roy and Anna have a wealth of knowledge to tap into if required. The town of Hopkins is very chilled and the locals are very welcoming, so relax and enjoy your stay

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Roy N, Owner at The Funky Dodo Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words from all of us here at the Funky Dodo.
Safe travels, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 16 January 2018

I was a little sick when I got there, but the management and all the people connected took a good care to make sure that I had a plenty of water to drink and a good place to sleep which I needed, and when I got a little chilly, they found a blanket for me to stay warm. I could not find a better place to stay. It was just like home. I thank them all very much, and hope to see them again soon!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Roy N, Owner at The Funky Dodo Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words from all of us here!
We're glad to help whenever and wherever we can...and to make you one of the family.
Safe travels, and can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed 13 January 2018

I can't wait to return to what I can now call my second home thanks to Anna, Roy and there furry family.
Located in beautiful place it was hard to imagine leaving.
The beds are so comfortable which I'd never really expect.
I love the Funky DoDo.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank JessieTanguay
Roy N, Owner at The Funky Dodo Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2018

Thank for your kind words from all of us --including Jax, Maya and Fritz! We miss you already, and can't wait for you to come back!

--and we're really glad you liked our brand new mattresses--