All reviews outdoor kitchen bus stop staff owners decent kitchen no hot water place to stay friendly locals wealth of knowledge the beach is nice fellow travelers laid back wonderful hosts a great stay stayed longer garifuna culture hopkins village spent nights
Reviewed 26 September 2017

A nice friendly experience with two wonderful hosts Roy and Anna. Clean and secure, I know that I'll be coming back here again. Just a all round great place to stay. There's some great restaurants with in walking distances, the beach is nice and close. Mikey

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Roy N, Owner at The Funky Dodo Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Thank you so much for the great review! See you again soon...safe travels!

Reviewed 27 August 2017

I liked the property itself, the kitchen and cooking facilities are good along with the showers and toilets and proximity to the beach.

The staff/owners seemed sometimes a bit fed up and not particularly enthusiastic, I may have just caught them on a bad couple of days. Quite large deposits were asked for, for a towel and a "kitchen pack" consisting of a plastic plate, cup & bowl and a set of cutlery. They asked for 10USD for each which to me seemed a bit much considering the items were plastic (not the cutlery), also gave a sense of having no trust in the guests that are paying to stay in the hostel. The beds were not the most comfortable, consisting of a foam mattress that would sag in the middle so that you were almost touching the wooden slats below. I had read in my book and later seen a sign in the hostel about the roof bar, however when I inquired about it I was just told there wasn't one, feeling slightly embarrassed I went back to the book to double check as I was sure that it had alluded to it.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Roy N, Owner at The Funky Dodo Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

I'm sorry if we were 'grumpy'--you may have caught us on a bad day...We try to be friendly and welcoming to everybody, as the majority of our reviews prove. As to the deposits, we only ask for what it would cost to replace the items if they are not returned. I would like to emphasize that the BZ$20 is only a deposit, and is refunded immediately upon return.
We are in the process of replacing all the mattresses, as new ones become available.
The bar has been closed for a year now, we are converting it into two private rooms and a new deck (pics soon). There are a number of watering holes within easy walking distance, and the grocery store across the street sells beer and other libations which you are welcome to consume on the property. I thought I had taken all the signs down, if you could tell me where there still is one advertising the bar, I will remove it immediately.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

This is one of the most relaxed hostels I have ever stayed at. The owners, Anna and Roy, are two amazing people that put up with me asking 1,000 questions a day. They are building some awesome stuff at the Funky Dodo, so by the time you get there, they should have an awesome patio on the second floor.

I wish I could have stayed longer! Until next time!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Roy N, Owner at The Funky Dodo Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2017

Thank you for your kind words. Questions don't bother us-- if we can help, we will.
We are indeed expanding/renovating. Watch this space for pictures...coming soon!

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

The Funky Dodo Backpackers' Hostel is an awesome place to call home. I really enjoyed the private room, and the outdoor kitchen was beyond fabulous!! The hammock-filled courtyard, with its vibrant flowers, trees, and decorations, will make you feel like you are truly in Paradise!! The hostel is within walking distance to the beach, store, fruit/produce market and restaurants.

The owners, Roy and Anna, are very friendly and kind. They make you feel like you are family. I cannot wait to return to Hopkins Village and to The Funky Dodo Backpackers' Hostel.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank b00tsieb001
Roy N, Owner at The Funky Dodo Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Thank you so much, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

My friend and I stayed for four nights in a room with one bunk bed. We enjoyed lounging in the central hammocks and appreciated the shared kitchen space. In fact, the layout really promotes guests mingling with one another to share tips and experiences. The owners, Roy and Anna, who left their previous jobs in Chicago about two years ago and are now "living the dream," are tremendously helpful in providing advice on nearby attractions and especially on getting around.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you so much! We are indeed living the dream, getting to know people like you....