“Good and bad”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I’ve visited here a few weeks ago with my 3 year old boy, the play area is great for younger children my boy had a good time there but what spoilt the experience for me was the way the miserable manager was talking to the young girls working there , it was absolutely discusting, I felt so sorry for them they all looked petrified of her, in this day and age this shouldn’t be happening, it’s bulling and extremely un professional to be doing this in front of myself and my son and for that reason we won’t be returning. It’s a shame because the play area is great but I really don’t want to witness young girls who I found to be very pleasant getting spoke to in an awful mannor again. We will be sticking to geronimos from now on.

3  Thank Claireedav1404

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Horrible towards young staff members, miserable face on women behind till and is always on her phone. Staff look frightened of her I should never be returning as I expect to eat my meal in a happy place!

6  Thank fgg429
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

30 of us (aged 9 to adults) had tea here today as part of an away trip with Girlguiding.
The staff were very accommodating and helpful, and the cafe was clean and spacious.
Good portions and very reasonable prices. The veggie burger was lovely. They had a nice looking dessert menu so I may have to call back in!!

1  Thank Pepgep
harkerscornercafe, Manager at Harkers Corner Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you so much for choosing us to host your group. It was a pleasure to serve you all.

We are so glad all the girls enjoyed their meals and hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Rhyl.

Thank you again for choosing Harkers x

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

So we came into this Café when nipping into Rhyl for some breakfast after seeing the great deal of a free tea or coffee with every full English breakfast ordered before 10;30am. So first of all, I have to comment on the lack of vegetarian options available in this Cafe, which was in fact very poor. In 2018, a modern cafe should have at least one vegetarian option on the menu, however this was not the case, so I had to resort in a breakfast but with no meat. So, that aside, we had a simple request which was to exchange the fried bread on one of the breakfasts for a slice of white toast, however, this was more of a hassle than expected, as we were told that we would have to get rid of two fried bread (so get rid of another one from someone else’s breakfast - there was 6 of us) in exchange for a round of white toast. No offer to just swap and charge 10p or however much extra. Anyway - the breakfasts arrived and they were lovely. The only thing I could fault about the breakfasts was the egg being rather thin and flakey, but really for the price it was a good breakfast and we ate all of our meals as we were so satisfied with them :) THIS is why it’s such a shame about the staff, which is what I’m about to note, and what really put this whole experience down for us. Not one member of staff (they all looked very young) gave us a second look. They were miserable, dull, moody and very ignorant. On several occasions we acknowledged the staff, coming in and coming out, however not once were we noticed, we were ignored. Not even a smile. Now this does put us off because as sociable people and paying customers the least we expect is a friendly smile, a friendly hello or goodbye. But mothing. They were just standing there doing nothing with horrible faces like they wish we weren’t there. Even my grandparents were actually quite upset at the lack of acknowledgment. It’s such a shame because although I mentioned they’re young, that’s not what really matters - what matters is good customer service which is what we didn’t receive. What I would say is try the Piaza Place in town who sell an all dah breakfast for £2.95 along with GOOD, friendly customer service just two mins down the road. Such a shame as the food was a good standard. Won’t be returning :(

3  Thank xoxKeely
harkerscornercafe, Manager at Harkers Corner Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Good afternoon
Firstly we are so glad you found our food to be of good quality and you were very satisfied with your meals
That is our aim

We are sorry our staff did not pay you enough attention and that you found them miserable

We think our staff are quite friendly and get complemented on them frequently.

However We do offer several vegetarian, Vegan and gluten free options on our menu and specials boards

We also have Quorn sausages which can be substituted on to any of the breakfasts or meals

Perhaps if you fully read our menu and specials boards you would have seen these items

We try and source as many of these items as we can so we can offer a few choices other than “jacket potato with beans “
We have vegan curry’s , gluten free pizza and cakes ,mushroom stroganoff , veggie burger and quorn sausage
All listed in the menu and on our specials boards

We do offer a single piece of toast for 50p which I believe you purchased to go with your meal and are happy to substitute any item on our menu, like for like ,should you request it.

It is very difficult to hold everything in stock but we do our upmost to provide or supply any customer who requires special dietary requirements and will alter any menu item if requested

Sorry you did realise this on your visit but you could have said (as most people do ) hi I’m a vegetarian do you have any options and you would have been shown the page in the menu (that you didn’t see ) and also asked what else can we do for you

Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

Ordered the fish and chips - expecting something you would get at the seaside... awful! Frozen fish that was greasy and clearly not fresh... and I wouldn’t say 100% fully cooked.

My partner had the soup of the day - something out of the tin!

Far from even meeting the standards of a greasy spoon cafe, this place is over priced for what it served!

1  Thank sdwardle
harkerscornercafe, Manager at Harkers Corner Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2018

We are sorry you did not enjoy your meal
Our menu clearly states our fish is “ pre battered
Our chips are bought in frozen and in line with most establishments and what they serve today

Should you have wanted a traditional fish and chip meal there are several good chippys serving take outs in the area perhaps you might have been better going there

We believe our prices are more than reasonable for a sea front cafe we advertise ourselves to be

Again we are sorry we did not meet your requirements this time