“Lovely pub but sort the chips! Good for vegetarians.”

The Sir Walter Raleigh
Price range: US$5 - US$21
Dining options: Reservations
Description: 16th Century Village Pub. 4 Good Cask Beers With Traditional Pub Food. We Are Open From 11.00 To 14.30 Then 18.00 To 23.00.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Lovely village pub. Good service and a nice warm welcome when we stepped through the door.
Busy, which is always a good sign.
There was a good range of vegetarian meals for me, which was great.
Real ales available.
The only downside were the chips which were dry (oven cooked?). Otherwise, all good!

Reviewed 7 May 2018

This is a typical old time inn. Small garden at the back. We were there on the Bank Holiday and we had the Roast Pork which was very good with all the trimmings. As this was the Sunday there was a limited menu of other dishes, just normal pub dishes. I don't know what the normal menu was like. For desert we had the Cointreau and Orange ice cream that was excellent. This pub is a bit of old England. Very good Barman and waitress

Reviewed 24 April 2018

We enjoyed a good dinner in a real village pub full of locals as well as tourists. A varied menu with plenty of choice for vegetarians and people with allergies. Good home cooked food with local produce.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

The Sir Walter Raleigh is in East Budleigh. Situated in the High Street it has a welcoming exterior. We received a nice welcome and explanation of the interesting local beers - we tried 2 different ones and they were both well kept and delicious. There was a good selection of locals and visitors in happy mood. We did not eat but the menu looked good. This 16th century pub is well presented and definitely recommended by us..

1  Thank Whitey30
Reviewed 3 April 2018

We visited the pub on 29th March as it is our local. As advised we provided id for my son who is 19 and received appalling treatment at the hands of the barman/landlady. They decided to inspect my son's proof of age validate id despite the fact his id was checked by the girl behind the bar, which shows his picture and told us that they needed to Google to see if they could accept it. They did so and we were told that they could not accept it and only accept passport or driving licence as we could have bought the id anywhere. They then proceeded to take away my son's drink from him saying you cannot drink anymore of that. I was advised that the landlady could lose her licence even though if any checks had been made he had the appropriate id. We were all so upset especially my son who has a learning disability at our treatment which was so nasty in tone and the way it was handled, that we left the pub without finishing our drinks. The whole incident left a horrible taste in my mouth and I feel sure that whatever id he did have would not have been the right one. The landlady has forgotten that as he is over 16 he is able to drink alcohol with a meal which is what we were intending to do. I would not visit this pub again on principle in view of our treatment totally unjustified.

2  Thank Rebecca L