All reviews zanzibar house half board swahili buffet low tide breakfast and dinner nice pool stone town relaxing days indian ocean relaxing stay sea urchins hammocks beach village tanzania safari haji
Reviewed 3 September 2018

I went there with my wife, nice facility, good location, right on the beach. The scene is amazing specially in the morning.Food is good, the facility has a nice bar area with nice music.Location is good, walking distance to any other place (better park the car and walk).

Room Tip: Keep the net windows closed to keep flies and bugs out.
Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 27 August 2018

Great location, quiet but walking distance from beach restaurants and bars in Nungwi beach. Amazing sundeck in front of the sea. Staff extremely helpful. Property was clean and tidy. Food was good as well.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 12 August 2018

It was a pleasant relaxing time spent at Mnarani Beach. The staff was super friendly and helpful. The food was excellent (specially when there was no buffet).
The weather however was a little bit disappointing with almost every day some rain, followed by a sunny sky.

Stayed: July 2018
Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

My daughter booked Mnarani beach cottage in April when we were planning our trip to Zanzibar ..we got really worried when we read recent bad reviews of the hotel ..we had booked a non refundable deal..came here on the 10th of Aug very apprehensive....from the time we entered we found absolutely nothing wrong and infact LOVED the place ..rooms were small but that’s what we paid for ..there are bigger rooms if one wants ..the view from here in unbelievable..just tooooooooo beautiful ..I sat all day just staring at the Indian Ocean ☺️.And the massage in the Cinnamon spa is Pure BLISS..Ms Berina the in-house masseur has magical and soothing fingers .The spa is right next to the ocean and the sound of the waves is mesmerising and calming.Its a MUST do.
Breakfast and dinner were both great ..the waiters are always smiling and ready to serve.The house keeping ladies too were great...everyday they made a new arrangement of flowers on our bed.
Only one small issue..if you could put a soap holder inside the shower area as there is no place to keep the soap or shampoo..this is a minor glitch.
Thank you for the wonderful stay ..I m leaving tomorrow but couldn’t wait to say THANK YOU..We will be back .Asante sana

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank simran711
Reviewed 28 July 2018

ME AND MY SISTER TRIED TO GET SOME KIND OF COMPOSITION BECAUSE OF ALL THE PROBLEMS WE HADDURING OUR STAY, AND THE MANAGER WAS AT THE HOTELL. INSTEAD OF LETTING THE EMPLOYEES IN THE RECEPETION HELP US AND MEET US IN THE RECEPTION, HE JUST TOLD THEM BY PHONE THAT "I NEED TO CHECK THIS OUT WITH THE KITCHEN FIRST". THE RECEPTIONIST TOLD US TO SEND A MAIL, AND THIS I WHAT I SENT (I DID NOT GET ANY RESPOND (SO I POST IT HERE, SINCE I CAN OBSERVE THAT YOU RESPOND TO PEOPLES REVIEWS HERE)

Me and my sister checked out from the hotell today. We cold wish you meet us at the reception this morning so this problem could be fixed today (since you where at hotel..). Instead we must use even more time on a problem we already have used 5 days to handle.

This is the problem:

When we checked in at the hotell me and my sister told the receptionist about our food requirement. Im a vegan (cant eat milk because of allergy) and my sister is vegetarian. We told what this is and we where told that "this its not a problem" and he will tell the chef about us.

When we recived our dinner (when we ordered from the menu 4 hours before I told them AGAIN about my diet. I got told: This was not a problem, and for me it was clear that the kitchen was not informed already then). When dinner was served I got bread with egg, soup with milk and Rice with vegetables with butter. AGAIN i had to tell them about my diet. And the kitchen was not informed.

On the second day I went to the reception and told about that the kitchen havent got any information. The guy in the reception then told me "you can go to the chef and tell him" (!!!) . I did (which is not my job).

Nothing changed. I told the same people over and over again about my diet, and no one listened to me. In the end I gave up telling the reception about my problem since they probably would send me to the chef again.

This problem was repeated for 5 days! Every meal was a big stress factor for me. I was so scared to get food that contains milk and other animal product (on the 3th day I had breathing problems in the evening after dinner because of something in the food). Also my sister was very concerned for me and had to me drag into the problem. She is also a chef and is chocked on how my diet concern was threated so unprofesionel.

I think its reasonable to get a composition which reflects 5 days with:

1. Stress
2.Food i did not receive
3. Lost time of holiday because of all the time i had to explain my diet and check my food
4. Frustration over not have one to talk to. Instead there was different people every Day, and No one had a clue about me. And the kitchen did not how many days i was there, so everyday was a New Day to explain the same problem over and over again. And I dont think there was a problem with memory, cause they all remember which room we had regarding bills..

If we dont get any reply on this within monday we will include this text in our review at tripadvisor (and i think that will cost you more than giving us a proper refund). This Is a big problem, and I cant let people with allergies go to your hotel if you dont take this serious.

I SENT THIS MAIL THE 20TH JULY 2018. TODAY IS 28TH JULY, AND NO RESPOND FROM THE MANAGER (I GOT RESPONS FROM THE RECEPTION THAT THE MAIL IS RECEIVED AND SENT TO THE RIGHT PERSON). SO I POST THIS MAIL AS I TOLD YOU.

RIP OFF PRICES:
When we asked to arrange transport from Nungwi to Paje, told a man in the reception that it cost 80 dollar each. Then we sad "what?" (because he told it very silent and insecure), and then he tried to text some one. The next offer was then 60 dollar. We found a local taxi instead and paid 50$ for two person!

The drinks is very exspencive, and there was no water in the room. Not free coffe or anything at the room (which is normal when something is 4 stars). There was no hot water because they had forgotten to turn on the heater.

The gardener was very unproffesional. He was sitting next to us while we was sunning in bikini and looked while he talked and talked. The first time he sat and talked in 30 minutes. And commented how beatiful we where, how poor he was and how hard his job was. He also offered to find boyfriend to us. Just for a night he told and he could fix guys for us very easely (this sounds like prostitusjon) Even when my sister told hum that she has fionce and he still sad "just for one night".

The food was bad. We are on a spice Island and all we got was western food. We want to eat local food! Im a food engineer and my sister a chef. Our opinion about the food is based on quality and objektiv evaluation. This food lack taste, temperature and they did not respect food allergies.

The positive thing was: the view and housekeeping at our room.

We will NOT come back and we will not recommend this to anyone to people we know in NORWAY. We payed to five nights, but wanted to leave after two days. This was the worst part of our vacation in Tanzania.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank Maren A
Nassor M, Owner at Mnarani Beach Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2018

Dear Maren A.

Your booking came through Expedia and it was not mentioned anywhere that you were on a special Diet. During the five days that you stayed with us you enjoyed all your meals that is breakfast and Dinner. To our surprise the day you were checking out you demanded that all extra payment to be waved or else you threatened us that you will write a negative review on Trip advisor, What we have noticed is that your complains were not genuine and you were looking for excuses of not paying the extra bills that you had consumed.

I personally did the follow up your complains about our gardener sadly he can't even speak proper English to an extent of convincing you as you have stated , so I'm not sure which language you were communication with .