1,652 results
All reviews samaki restaurant coco bar spices restaurant captain marco huge bath main restaurant stone town pool bar buffet style masai guards hakuna matata our honeymoon water aerobics all inclusive package evening entertainment prison island indian ocean
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Service was amazing the beach is clean swimming pools are wide and nice generally the food was not wow and I feel there a need of a lot of improvement was excited about the Swahili night but was disappointed too but a good place to relax massage was amazing

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Juzer,

Thank you for your brief but very nice review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful pools and that you were able to relax, one of the things we work hardest to make happen for every guest. The Spa Team was particularly happy to hear that your massage was "amazing"!

I am sorry you weren't wowed by the food. With such a diverse clientele, we work hard to offer a wide range of options in both items and preparation and I'm very sorry that it didn't hit the mark for you. We will continue to work on our offering.

Thank you for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 October 2018

We spent last night at this fabulous hotel after a long journey from England.we are currently in Arusha about to go on 5 day safari and whilst looking forward to that, I am a!so looking forward to returning to the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort hotel.
We were lucky to be staying in an ocean view suite. Oh my goodness, how utterly luxurious it was! The bathroom is spacious and facilities separated, shower room, toilet and bidet round another corner and a lovely bath on it's own. Lovely comfy sofas and seats and a day bed on the balcony. Because we were only there for 16 hours in total we were not fortunate enough to make use of all facilities but the bed was soo comfy,the mattress is up there as being one of the best I have slept on.
The ocean view was divine, the numerous pools look inviting and the sand and beach looks like the ones you see in glamorous magazines.
The food last night was African and I can be quite fussy, but I am truly looking forward to experiencing it again when we re-arrive next Saturday.
Literally ALL the staff are extremely pleasant, friendly, welcoming and helpfull.
Basically, I think I am just repeating aforementioned reviews, but that just proves how good it really is. I am also lucky to have the booking because,after reading these reviews I was demoralised when trying to book, noone (Trivago, booking.com,hotels.com and Expedia) had availability including when I rang the hotel directly, but my man Jatin at Southall Travel who we booked flights with happened to obtain this booking for us(we booked 3 1\2 weeks ago. Will update again in 2 weeks time when it'll sadly be over!

Room Tip: 5 star quality
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tatty644

Thank you so much, what a beautiful review after such a short stay!

We appreciate your generous remarks regarding our wonderful ocean suites, gorgeous beach, terrific staff and of course those amazing mattresses, aren't they incredible?!

I truly hope that your return was just as fantastic and thank you again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi.

Reviewed 30 September 2018

My husband and I recently had the most wonderful holiday at The Royal Zanzibar Beach Hotel.
We had booked this holiday in celebration of our 40 th Wedding Anniversary and we had not been to Zanzibar before.
The journey to Zanzibar is a long and tiring one but my goodness , on arrival at this hotel the feelings of tiredness quickly disappear.
From entering the hotel reception area you are met by the most wonderful smiling staff, with greetings of “Jambo.
The view from the Makuti roofed reception down through the grounds is simply stunning! Beautifully tendered gardens with colours and flowers , trees , shrubs and water pools. This hotel accommodates approximately 200 people , but the spacious surrounds mean that you are never made to feel closed in .
There are 4 beautiful swimming pools with infinity views, or swim up bars , lots of space to sun oneself , a stunning beach with more than enough loungers for everyone with the most wonderful views of the white sand and the turquoise sea in front of you.
A beach bar that serves you all day with delicious cocktails and drinks.
A short walk brings you to the Coco bar and Samaki restaurant with seating right over the sea, it is simply the most fabulous place for breakfast or lunch serving lighter meals.
The main restaurant at the top end of the complex serves buffet style meals , salads , hot meals , desserts etc , is always of good standard . Smiley waiting staff greet you and attend to your needs.
During the week the restaurant is brought down onto the beach with a full barbecue dinner and live music , this is a truly special experience.
Also once a week the restaurant is focused around the swimming pools , so much food and staff attention to detail are given.
I must pay homage to ALL the staff at the hotel , from gardeners to cleaners , beach bar staff , restaurant staff and special mention to the Masai, who are on duty around the hotel and who add that real African feel to your holiday , they are super guys who really make you feel both welcome and safe.
We were very lucky to be in a ocean suite with the most perfect view of the beach , the sea and the fabulous sunsets , our anniversary stay was like a second honeymoon to us!
Our suite was spectacular , with a turn down service and it was kept spotlessly clean by the wonderful team of housekeepers.
In fact the bed was the most comfiest bed I have ever slept in on a holiday.
The hotel has a fabulous Spa , offering massages , facials etc , very good and attentive staff. Lots of choice for various packages .
Good entertainment in the evening supplied by local artists that was both interesting and fun.
Also a big mention to all the animation staff and Mr Juma, who offered activities like Botcha and water aerobics etc and also twice a week there is an accompanied walk into Nungwi village to see local schools , the village and the turtle sanctuaries, a great few hours discovering local life.
We walked every day for a few hours on the most stunning of beaches , the best I ever saw in my life , the sea was warm and inviting, so blue and you see right to the bottom.
There are numerous Masai along the beach who offer to accompany you or sell you some local wares , but a polite no and you are left alone.
They are great guys and there is a local Masai market should you wish to purchase things to take home.
We did a boat tour from the beach to swim with the wild dolphins , it was an amazing experience ( Capt Marco Polo) a first class service , so good in fact that we booked with them to visit Stonetown on a full day’s tour of the town , the spice farm and the prison island, fantastic !
This holiday was for us a time of relaxation, peace and discovery.
The staff made it all the more enjoyable for us.
Special mention must go to Mr Muru and Mr Seif, “Thank you “.
We cannot wait to come back to Zanzibar again , and enjoy this very special resort once more .

2  Thank jilly1958

Dear Jilly,

Thank you so much for your excellent and very detailed review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

What an absolute pleasure it was to read about your stay and enjoy our property through your eyes for a minute or two. We're very proud of the beauty of the facility as well as our wonderful staff! I love knowing that everyone from Gardeners to Security does everything they can to make our guests vacations better. Mr. Muru and Mr. Seif were also delighted to know that they had helped.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your 40th Anniversary. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon, although you really don't have to wait for another anniversary!

Reviewed 27 September 2018

This hotel is amazing. We were in need of complete rest and relaxation and that is exactly what we got here for the two weeks we stayed.

We were upgraded to a sea view suite and it was beautiful. It had a balcony with a double sunbed overlooking the beach and sea where, every night, we could lie down and watch the amazing sunsets before getting ready for dinner. The room was enormous and very well furnished - the bed was really comfortable. The bathroom was also enormous with modern fittings. In fact, I would say that this is one of the best rooms we have stayed in during our years of travelling. The room was also kept exceptionally clean and well stocked and fresh flowers were left every day.

We found the food to be very good with plenty of choice in the main buffet. However, the Samaki Restaurant at lunch time had quite a limited choice of food which was a bit too heavy. It would have been nice if they had the option of soup and fresh bread for a light lunch. However, the food we had there was cooked well and tasted good - we just couldn't eat it all.

We had an A La Carte meal one evening and we were the only ones dining. It was a lovely setting, outside the restaurant under the stars. However, the food is definitely not A La Carte quality. For A La Carte it needs to be more refined and my Chateaubriand was extremely tough.

Once a week, the hotel serve the evening buffet by the pool and another night on the beach which is lovely.

The swimming pools are fantastic and, most of the time, we were the only ones in them. The beach is white sand with aqua sea and was never overcrowded. We never had a problem finding sunbeds in a good position with sunshades, even if we went to the beach mid-morning. That's great and very different from the overcrowded hotels were everybody charges down to the beach at the crack of dawn to claim their spot. It just wasn't necessary here.

The grounds are well kept and beautiful and the resort, although full, never felt crowded.

Finally, I would like to say thank you to all the staff (restaurants, bars, cleaning staff and reception) for making our stay absolutely wonderful. And a separate big thank you to the gardening staff who came to the rescue of my husband when he accidentally trod on a sea urchin which left spines in his foot. They knew exactly what to do and removed the spines and ensured that there was no infection. Word of warning to everybody - keep away from the sea urchins on the rocks in the sea when the tide goes out!! My husband just got a bit carried away looking at the fish!!

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed to have a nice view, either of the sea or the gardens. Sea view suite was amazing though. We had A21.
3  Thank Bronwen123

Dear Bronwen,

Thank you very much for your terrific and detailed review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

It's such a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, although I am sorry to hear about the sea urchin. We're delighted that you enjoyed one of our beautiful Ocean Suites and we love hearing that our guests were able to relax! We do everything we can to ensure we don't have lines and chaos and are proud that it usually works well.

We have taken note of your comments regarding the food and will continue working on it to improve our offering and make it more diverse.

Thank you once again for selecting Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your vacation, we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 20 September 2018

Entry looked nice with the huge wooden roof, the hotel rooms looked royal from outside. The road to the hotel should be cleaned, plastic is a big problem on this island. I hope the hotels set the right example. While waiting for check in the woman of the hotel shop already tried to get us in her shop. little weird while we're sitting there with our baggage. Staff was very friendly and then they brought us to the room, which was huge but old. I thought it was ok, not glamorous but we only staying here for 2 nights. When we checked the bathroom after the staff member who escorted us left, we felt pretty disappointed. The shower head and bath faucet were totally rusted, The walls had dirty and broken kits. We're in Africa yes but for the money you pay you may expect a decent clean bathroom when its a 5 star beach resort. We came from the close-by Zuri hotel, so the levels were set high. So I felt like I had to let my thoughts know and not just write here afterwards. Here I went to the reception, for the first time in my life, to complain about my hotel room. Not nice to do, especially in Zanzibar. There was no general manager at that time in the evening, but a woman came speak with me and she handled it very fast and showed me a different room, old, but in a better state, especially the bathroom. We could change room after the dinner. At the dinner the woman came to my gf and me and told us that she would upgrade us to an updated room, turned out to be seafront. That was a very nice touch of her. This room was a big difference with a new bathroom and new furniture. The bed was fantastic. Later I heard the normal rooms get this update too. It's needed for the price the hotel charge for this rooms at the moment.. Not talking about the room we got as a free upgrade, which we really appreciate.
The pools look amazing from a distance. From close there's a lot of broken tiles in the pool and just not well maintained. It's clean but broken. Here and there broken sunbeds. The gardens are beautiful, with the ocean on the background! We think the all-inclusive buffets were good and also liked the fact that they serve real coca cola and good wine etc within the all-inclusive formula. For lunch you can eat at the ocean restaurant a la carte, which is nice. All the staff members where very sweet and helpful to us, thank you so much! So we had a fun 2 nights here but the hotel could improve to be a real 5 star paradis as they market themself.

8  Thank Piet G
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2018

Dear Piet,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

We're so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, the bed (yes, we have those same great mattresses in every room of the resort), the food and our friendly staff.

I am sorry that you were disappointed by your initial room and sorry that I wasn't able to speak with you about it. We are working on a plan for next year to update the bathrooms in the Superior Rooms, I trust that it will bring them to a better standard. I was surprised to hear your comments about the pools. We know we have mismatched tiles but not broken ones.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. Should you be returning, please let me know as I'd like to ensure that you experience the stay you expected.