Labore Stay(Tomea Island)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe reefsfishsea lifemuck divinggreat divingcamera roomevery mealremote locationtake carewakatobi staffjetty barbucket listbali airportbig stuffboat crewlocal staffrestaurant staff
Reviewed 31 May 2018

I LOVE Wakatobi.
They think of everything, starting with your arrival at Denpasar. We were delayed and got in well after midnight but still, they met us at the airport, helped us retrieve our baggage and walked us from customs and security to the curb to our waiting hotel shuttle- which they had called and alerted to our late arrival.
They met us once again the day of our charter flight to Wakatobi. They handled our bags and took us to a private lounge to have breakfast and await our flight.

The diving is spectacular, the divemasters are knowledgeable, (thank you Muji, Maggie, and Uri) the boats are very clean and well run. Each divemaster had only four divers per group and every dive was at least 70 min. After each dive, they offer hot minty towels for your face, water, tea and coffee, also snacks (special snacks for people with food allergies or preferences) after every dive.
My husband was there to freedive and his guide, Marley (sorry I cannot remember the correct spelling of your name) was amazing. I always worry about shallow water blackout and wonder if the guide is going to really keep and eye on him. The answer is yes, he was well cared for AND had an incredible time.
Back at the resort, the food is stellar! Ebram is "The Guy" at the restaurant and keeps things running smoothly. There is plenty of variety even for the pickiest eater (me) and a neverending supply of favorites for the omnivore (my husband) and hearty eater alike. Of note; they make their own ice cream and sorbets- try the coconut with chocolate sauce!
Everywhere we went, the staff remembered our names and made us feel at home. I simply cannot get enough of this place and I am currently trying to figure out how I could get enough money to spend the rest of my life there.
They offer a 'Behind the Scenes' tour. Take it. It's not to difficult to understand that a lot of work goes into making all this magic happen but taking the tour was fascinating. These people truly do it all!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed 24 April 2018 via mobile

We have just spent a week in paradise, from the moment you arrive in Bali (how did Ferry know it was us at the baggage belt?!) to the moment you leave (Ferry miraculously appeared when we were looking for a taxi!) you are escorted o your island home and taken care of.
The flight from Bali is extremely scenic, flying close by the volcano on Lombok then through the archipelago of turquoise water, reef after reef until you land at the island of Tomei where you are greeted by the ever smiling Wakatobi staff.
You are then whisked across the water to the island you will call home.
The Palm bungalow we chose is the the most “basic” we decided we wouldn’t be spending anytime in the room (which is true!) but the bungalow was a perfect little home for the week, air conditioned to make sleeping easy (although after 3 dives a day you’re pretty tired!) the balcony is a nice spot to have a pre dinner drink while looking at your photos of the days dives.
The diving/snorkelling set up is first class, no need to carry your own gear to the boat, hot peppermint flannels, fresh towels and yet more food after each trip into the sea!
My daughter (8) and I snorkelled while my husband did diving. This still works as a family as you are on the same boat, diving the same locations so you won’t feel you’re spending the days apart. Our daughter sat out some of the snorkels and happily sat on the boat reading (and making hot chocolates).
Yono our snorkelling guide was an absolute gem, gently spoken and very cautious towards our daughter. He happily towed her along on an inflatable if she needed a break and would dive down at any opportunity to point out her favourite sea life. Equally Chaira who was my husbands guide couldn’t do enough to make sure we were happy, especially finding a Pygmy seahorse the elusive little thing!
The food at all meals is varied and delicious, Adhi and his team do an amazing job keeping the restaurant a happy place to be. Rosna is a stand out as well, always smiling and joking and saying hello when we found her in the village on a walk in afternoon!
The problem of flies appears to have been solved with all food now under Perspex covers, actually any “problem” I’ve read in reviews has been solved. They obviously take customer feedback very seriously.
To keep an island at this level of service and facilities in such a far flung location is an extreme effort, making your own water & electricity, flying in food, having your own supply boat to ensure supply all comes at a cost. Yes it is expensive but it is worth every penny.
Don’t hesitate in coming here, just don’t tell everyone let’s keep it our secret!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
6  Thank Caroline L
Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

We could not fault this experience. From the time we arrived in Denpasar airport where we were met by Wakatobi staff who escorted us to our overnight stay in Bali, providing breakfast the next day before guiding us to our transfer flight to Wakatobi to the time we left the island. The service was impeccable and hospitality genuine.

And I haven’t even started on the diving and dining experience.

The first Wakatobi host we met on arriving on the island was Andrea who showed us to our bungalow and briefed us on the resort facilities.

Our dive guide for the week was Silvia, who not only made us better divers but her infectious enthusiasm of diving and knowledge of the marine life made us want to learn more. Silvia is a great people person full of life and hope we will meet again soon.

If you are a keen photographer Marco will assist and explore the wonders of underwater photography and improve your skills and help you with your equipment.

So remote and yet the dining experience is amazing! All the staff are genuinely friendly and will know you by name after the first meet. Nothing is ever a problem.

To the founders.... “thank you for your vision and well done in providing a 5 star experience “.

We will be back, but for now, as Silvia would say “ciao”.

Fred & Kerry

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fred D
Reviewed 24 March 2018

Wakatobi is a magnificent, a real gem. It is a quality outfit and a truly 5 star outfit from your front door till the time you return. It is a place where you really should share with a diving partner. It is a Photographers delight.

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed 18 March 2018

This was the perfect end to our 6 week adventure. We are snorkelers, not divers and it’s hard to find resorts or a live aboard that cater to snorkelers. Wakatobi pays equal attention to both. On this trip, we snorkeled in the Maldives, Lakshadweep and Andaman Islands, but nothing prepared us for Wakatobi. Within minutes of entering the water on the house reef I knew I had to come back, and we never do repeat trips as there is so much to see in this world. It was remarkable that many, or maybe most, of the other guests we spoke with were repeat customers.

It is a remote location, but the owners and staff make it so easy for the guests the we had absolutely no worries the entire week. When you land in Bali and clear immigration, there is someone to meet you, help get your luggage, go through customs and settle you in your taxi. That level of service continued for the duration of the trip.

All details were thought of including a stack of reference books in the bungalow on fish and other reef life. We had an ocean bungalow that was roomy, very comfortable with lots of storage. We only wish we had more time to sit on the spacious deck and enjoy the wonderful view. Next time! And the food was wonderful so fresh and great variety (the pineapple!). I asked the chef for some of the Indonesian recipes and am enjoying them so much.

We learned so much from Jaka, our snorkel guide, who was excellent. The underwater whiteboard he used to communicate was very helpful. There is not enough room to comment on the beauty of the corals and abundance of fish. The corals were such a joy to see after the devastated reefs we saw earlier in the trip.

I am already planning a return for next year for at least 10-14 days!

Room Tip: Loved the ocean view bungalow
Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple