Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Alicia R

The Perfect Vacation!

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 16 Jul 2021
I spent nine days at the Outrigger Reef with my family and it was absolutely incredible. We decided to spend a little more on the ocean front room and club access, which ended up being completely worth it. We loved our room, it was spacious and comfortable. Lily from housekeeping was the BEST. She was so kind and kept our room looking amazing. Everyone at the resort was friendly and very accommodating. I was blown away by the service!

I spoke with a resort representative about the construction before booking. We still decided to book because we’re usually out and about adventuring most days. I only cared about the pool being open, which it was. The construction didn’t impact us because everything was within walking distance of the resort. There’s tons of coffee shops, restaurants, surf shops, retail shopping, and the beach. The location is perfection! For us, we only noticed the construction on the way in and out of the resort. However, I can’t wait to return to see it once it’s all finished. Thank you Outrigger Reef for making our trip so special!
Trip type: Travelled with family
Responded 18 Jul 2021
Aloha aliciavro2021,
Thank you for the glowing review of your experience at the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort. We are thrilled to hear that you had the perfect vacation. We will share your positive feedback with Lily she will be happy to know that she made your stay more memorable. Our Club Ocean Front Room with access Voyager 47 Club Lounge was the best choice for your long stay. We hope that we can welcome you back soon for another vacation in paradise. Mahalo Nui Loa!
  • Booking.com
    HK$955
0.7 km from Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort
View more hotels in Honolulu
7,777 results
All reviews shorebird restaurant ocean front ocean house restaurant the kani ka pila grille ocean tower waikiki beach the activities desk diamond head our honeymoon oceanfront room hawaiian music pool side mai tais bell desk shops and restaurants pearl harbor travel agent
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 July 2021

Let me start off with saying the staff, the individual who took care of our room, and the staff who valet'd our car every day...AMAZING. Everyone I encountered super friendly and welcoming. Room was large enough. Ocean view was amazing. Now...the butttsss....
I spent a long time trying to find a hotel to pick in Waikiki. spent hours looking. spent days and hours researching. Outrigger seemed like a great choice. Laundry service. Fitness center. rooms were at a great price. Breakfast not included. NO ONE mentioned the construction. No laundry service. No self laundry. No fitness center. I probably would have picked a different hotel knowing what I know now. Valet $40 per day. No options to park. Resort fee of $40 per day per room. Pool small. Does have beach access.

2  Thank Angie I
Ronnie Barit, Guest Services / Front Office at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2021

Aloha Angie I! Thank you for your recent stay at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort. We appreciated you taking the time to leave you invaluable feedback. We are thrilled to hear that our hosts are welcoming and amazing for the services that are provided to you during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the area so that we may offer you a flawless experience. Mahalo Nui Loa!

Reviewed 10 July 2021 via mobile

Wasn’t told there would be construction when we booked the hotel. We had stayed here before and knew it was a good location but I was disappointed. The starbucks is not open and only the restaurant near the pool are open. Tjere is no lobby and you cant see the beach from the pool. The construction noise is ridiculously loud and the walk way to the beach is like a creepy alley.

On a positive note, our room was large and recently remodeled. Tons of shops and restaurants within walking distance and you can also get delivery from some of them.

Even with the negatives it is paradise here!

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank maureenk885
Ronnie Barit, Guest Services / Front Office at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2021

Aloha maureenk885! Thank you for your recent stay at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort. We appreciated you taking the time to leave invaluable feedback. On behalf of the hotel management sincerely apologized for the inconvenience during your stay. Please know that your concern is utmost importance to us. Though, we are thrilled to hear that there is a positive note during your stay. We hope to welcome you back next time you are in the area so that we may offer you a flawless experience. Mahalo Nui Loa!

Reviewed 9 July 2021

This was going to be my second time coming to Oahu so I wanted to pick a hotel different from the experience I had at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I conducted research on most hotels in Waikiki and found the Outrigger Reef to have the best reviews and perfect price range. I was able to book one of the preview rate promotions back in April which made this stay wayyyy cheaper then anything else I would find in Waikiki. I booked through the official Outrigger Website which did state that this hotel was going through major renovations. Breakdown of everything below:

Check-in (10 out of 10): Upon arrival the bellboys came right up and took all of our luggage. Checking in took literally less than ten minutes because there was no line.

Room (10 out of 10): Our original room was a City View room which was the lowest priced one. Upon arrival we found out we got upgraded to the Club Oceanfront room which includes access to the Voyager 47 lounge! Our room was on the highest floor (10th) and had the most breath taking views of Diamond Head, the ocean, and the sunrise/sunset. The room had one king bed and one sofa bed that layed out into a bed. This room was modern, newly renovated, and comfortable enough to fit four people and all of our luggages/clothes.

Voyager 47 Lounge (10 out of 10): The main reason we chose to upgrade to the Club Oceanfront room on the estandby upgrade program was the included breakfast and dinner appetizers at this lounge. I 100% recommend getting a room with access to this lounge especially if you are coming with a family because it will save tons of money. The breakfast is always two main options that rotate throughout the week. The main options included waffles, potatoes, scrambled eggs, omelettes, bacon, breakfast sausage. They also had pastries like croissants, and oatmeal, cereals, milk fruit plates that were there everyday. For drinks there was hot/iced coffee, hot/iced tea, a variety of fruit juices a variety of the hawaiian sun company guava juices, and all the normal sodas. For dinner appetizers they also had two choices that rotated, including beef skewers, coconut shrimp, veggie potstickers, mini corndogs. For dinner they also had the same fruit juices, cans of guava juice and cans of soda. In addition they had alcoholic drinks which included beer, wine, other things and a special cocktail of the day. So everything from this lounge is unlimited meaning you can get unlimited amounts. My family and I grabbed all these canned drinks at breakfast and used them throughout the day to save money while eating lunch/dinner. In addition the Voyager 47 lounge staff were AMAZINGGGG they always remembered our names and were always extremely kind and were a key highlight of what made our trip so memorable.

Pool/Beach (7 out of 10): The area around the pool is all boarded up so its not really all that pretty and relaxing. Me and my family didn't use the pool a single time because the beach is always better in Hawaii. You can't hear the construction from the beach or the rooms. The beach in front of Outrigger is washed away so everyone just uses the beach right next to it thats literally 3 steps further to the right. Beach is rocky so bring water shoes or buy them at the ABC store when you get there.

Construction: Only place with construction is the lobby. You can't hear construction from the rooms or beach. Theres no construction on the Weekend. Personally the construction was a really small price to pay for the discounted rate on this hotel. Especially if you are out doing excursions during the week you won't even be at the hotel so the construction really won't bother you unless you are super picky.

Hotel "Amenities" ( 7 out of 10): The one thing that annoyed me was the unreliable internet. If you wanted premium/faster internet you had to pay more money so the standard wifi was only ok. Went to the hotels only open restaurant once and it was overpriced and the food just wasn't that good. The hotel is surrounded by tons of other food options so def go on yelp and look around. Whenever we needed something or had a problem we called guest services which had extremely fast service!

Thank you Outrigger Reef for such an amazing vacation!

3  Thank ilonaf585

Aloha Ilonaf585! Thank you for your recent stay at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort. We are delighted to hear your wonderful feedback regarding your hotel experience as it is a true testament of what we want our guest experience to be. We continue to strive to offer the best service and make Outrigger Reef your home away from home while in Honolulu. We look forward to welcome you back next time you are in the area so that we may offer you another flawless experience. Mahalo Nui Loa!

Reviewed 2 July 2021

Very disappointed, but we did have some very good highlights. I stayed at the Outrigger Reef several times (3) in the past, but the last time was back in 1995.

As a single father, I wanted to create a very special trip for my children (12, 12, and 5) by creating positive defining moments for them and trying to create an incentive for them to do well in school by seeing what hard work can accomplish. This is the type of trip we don't get to do very often - at least not going all out like we did on this trip (upgraded flight, Oceanfront Suite, etc). So, I wanted everything to be perfect from start to finish. Below, I broke out my review in categories (starting with the disappointments upfront), so that I can effectively evaluate the experience.

Reservations/Renovations (1 out of 10):
We made reservations almost a year in advance with the Outrigger Reef. We did know that the hotel was going under renovations throughout, but were consistently told that the hotel was closed and when the $80M renovation was complete, that it would reopen in April and that everything would be done and fully functional, except for the fitness center and the new restaurant - the Monkey Pod. Once the Outrigger reopened, we were told the same message. I even convinced my brother and his family to change their reservations and come over to the Outrigger Reef, reassuring him that most everything would be done (except for the 2 mentioned above) and that he didn't have to worry about it being under construction. Well, one week before our trip, I talked with the Manager, and she informed me that they were under 70% construction (in the Lobby). It was too late to make any changes, because we were deep into our planning and had a great room we were looking forward to. When we arrived, I was very embarrassed - the main attraction I wanted the kids to see and experience was the way outrigger reef lobby was fully open air and had fountains, numerous stores etc. Everything was boarded up from the front entrance to the unfinished elevators. We had a very prominent friend join usl, and other friends come visit and I just cringed, wondering what they would think. All stores were closed, everything was boarded (even boards along poolside). The only thing open was the Kani Ka Pila Grille. Also, the path to the temporary Voyager 47 club was through a back side of hotel, where pipes were present and it didn't always smell well. To top things off, I let the staff know I was disappointed that it wasn't finished like I was led to believe it would be, and the response was "well, when its finished (September) is it going to look really nice". I just couldn't help but think, this is a once in a 15 year trip and we paid for the penthouse suite and we are not going to get the full experience nor see the end result while we are here" It felt like salt being rubbed in the wounds!

Amenities (1 out of 10):
Nothing, outside of the Kani Ka Pila Grille was open, Starbucks, ABC store, and all the shops I remembered from years ago, didn't exist. The car rental center is not there. no fitness center, etc.

Pool (5 out of 10):
I was hopeful that the pool would be totally renovated and more modern, as shown in some early renovation plans, but the pool was the exact same pool I swam in, in 1995. It is located between high rise buildings, so it has a smaller window of sun during the day. It is nice and still enjoyable for the family. The bad part was that the construction walls are right next to the pool, so its not the pleasant experience that I once had. Also, the pool did require reservations each day for a 1 hour time slot. Through a review I read prior to going on our trip, it seemed that it was impossible to get a reservation. While, you had to make a reservation each day, we were able to get a time each day we tried and they monitor it loosely (honor system), so they were ok if you stayed longer than the intended slot and didn't bother you. They just don't like inner tubes and floats in pool. While people had them in there at times, eventually they would be asked to remove them.

Voyager 47 Club (7 out of 10):
Since we stayed in the Ocean Front Suites, we automatically had the Voyager 47 Access. This was a nice benefit for the family to have 'included' breakfast every morning and 'included' appetizers every afternoon. Breakfast had a variety each day, and had a repeatable pattern throughout the week. Scrambled Eggs, Omelettes, Link Sausage, Cut Sausage, Waffles, French Toast, Potatoes, Pastries Bread, Cereal, Muffins.

The afternoon included appetizers, drinks (including beer and mai tai's). Food included wings, coconut shrimp, kalua pork sandwiches, etc.

The food was good and the staff was very friendly, attentive and they remembered our family name every morning we came for breakfast.

Beach (5 out of 10 - Outrigger Reef only, 8 including Fort Derussy):
I couldn't believe the amount of erosion that has taken place since 1995. There was almost NO beach left. The water came up close to the building, particularly at high tide. Not really any room to enjoy the beach there. Fortunately, we had Fort Derussy beach right next door. While public, it wasn't overcrowded and provided a great place to swim for us without much of a walk.

Cultural Activities (10 out of 10):
Cultural activities we participated in were Lei making, Ukulele lessons, Hula lessons, and bracelet making. These were all great activities to do with the family. They would last approximately an hour, but it was a fun activity for the family (after breakfast). The lady that hosted most of the events was wonderful. She was a gem! She was very down to earth, provided us with a lot of information, was open questions, took time for pictures and even stopped when she would see us during the day and have a friendly chat with us.

Location (10 out of 10):
I wanted to stay at the Outrigger Reef, because I wanted to stay in a place where it was mostly quiet and allowed me to truly experience some R&R with the family - away from the craziness of crowds and ongoing noise. The Outrigger on the Beach (separate hotel) is located across from the International Marketplace, which is a complete zoo of people and noise constantly. So while Waikiki in general is not a deserted island type experience, Outrigger Reef is tucked away in an area with much less traffic and its quiet and peaceful at night, where you can just open the balcony doors and listen to the wonderful sounds of rolling ocean waves.

The Room (10 out of 10):
The room was the best part of our stay. We stayed in the Ocean Front Suite - this included a main room at the entrance with a dining area, a living room (w/Sofa bed), a bathroom and an ocean front balcony. The second part of the suite had a king bed room, with an awesome Diamond Head view balcony and a separate Ocean Front balcony. 3 balconies total in the Suite. The Bathroom was amazing! Two separate sink areas, a shower, and a tub. The bathroom had 2 windows that opened up and had great Diamond Head views.

This room would normally be well out of our price range, but I was blessed to able to catch a special rate at the right time to allow us the opportunity. And the hotel offered us (before our trip) a special rate to add 2 days, but we were only able to stay one of those before we had to head back.

Overall (5 out of 10):
All in All, I just wish I could just get a do-over stay (without the incurred expenses) at the Outrigger Reef where my kids and brothers family can experience the finished product that we were expecting to and being told that we would see (even like I experienced as a kid). Since I was reassured multiple times from the time I first made reservations that everything would be completed in April '21, I felt like I was in a bait and switch situation. For a trip we could likely only do once in 15 years, and me wanting to knock it out of the park with my kids, I felt like the air was let out of our balloons.

Outside of that, I love the Outrigger Reef, and would rate them a 10 out of 10 personally. It is the perfect location for me, in a low traffic/quiet area, the staff was very nice, the activities are great for the family and the perfect place that I can get the R&R that I was looking for. The Ocean Front Suite was awesome and I really wish I could stay in that exact room again with my family. It was on the 10th floor - penthouse, which was part of the previous owners residence from what I understood.
I added some pictures from our trip! Enjoy!

Room tip: Oceanfront rooms and suites are a great view and come with Voyager 47 Club access
Date of stay: June 2021
3  Thank kmassa33
Outrigger Reef Front Office, Guest Services / Front Office at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2021

Aloha kmassa33,
Thank you for posting a thorough review of your experience. We appreciate your loyalty as a return guests and we are sorry to hear that your are not satisfied with the stay. Please connect with our Manager on Duty or email us at orf@outrigger.com so we can discuss your feedback. Mahalo in advance for giving us the opportunity to make your stay better.

Reviewed 2 July 2021

It was the family's first time trip to Hawaii and this resort came up highly rated for the location chosen and web ratings. Because the hotel is close to the beach, this was the best choice and room prices were reasonable enough. So here's why it was nothing but disappintment.
1. No hotel shuttle pick up from airport (I wouldn't mind paying per request) had to use Lyft to take us there and cost close to 90$ for an XL ride.
2. Staff at drop off were just chatting, none of them ever offered to help us unload our luggage
3. Construction going on, the place didn't look inviting in any way
4. Room was great and clean but missing some important things. No chair for the desk, not any flyers, phone book, pen, note pad or anything on the desk. These are by far things I've always seen in hotel rooms I've stayed in my existence.
5. You'll have to get your own water at the dispenser. They'll give you water bottle at check in, very inconvenient.
6. Pool is by reservation due to covid
7. Beach is close but no service beyond the gate. No water to clean off your sandy feet so everyone drags sand to their rooms.
8. Chairs, umbrellas and any other water equipment are available for rent by a third party. 30$ all day before 10am for umbrella and chairs (2 chairs) but 20$ per hour if you rent it pass 10am ---- ridiculous ... only 1 shack selling food nearby
9. Kani papilla grill has a very few choices of food and the only available dining at that time. Food was sub-par so as their cocktails. Entertainment was good though.
10. LAUNDRYYYY yes! their website says it has one! when I called the lady said "oh we don't have one" woooowwwwww or maybe it was only available to those 1000++ rooms per night for their club members.. Not cool!
11. Internet aint complimentary! 41$ for 5 days, about 10$ per day if you buy it that way.
12. Ocean tower room ended up around 450$ a night after check out... not worth it

Sooo yeah there you go, if your expecting some wow factor don't bother. Unfortunately I've stayed in Southeast Asia and this doesn't even comes close as to what a real full service hotel has to offer! Think twice.. You're better off staying at airbnb or if you have the $$$ go spend 5 times more for their expensive rooms then maybe you'll get a better perks.

Date of stay: June 2021
1  Thank Filipinainalaska

Aloha Filipinainalaska,
Mahalo Nui Loa for sharing your experience at the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort. We sincerely apologize for failing to deliver the Hawaiian hospitality that your family deserve. The areas for improvement that you have mentioned have been shared with the rest of our team. If you would like to share additional information, please contact us directly at orf@outrigger.com. We hope we can welcome you back with a much better experience in the future.