“Surprisingly Good Find In Flagstaff”
Review of Tinderbox Kitchen

Tinderbox Kitchen
Ranked #12 of 370 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Price range: US$16 - US$28
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Chef Schmitz serves up well-executed spins on reimagined American fare like Pan Seared Chicken Breast. Braised Pork Shoulder, Pan Seared Butterfish, 14oz Grilled Ribeye, Mushroom and Gruyere Burger, and many other entrees, starters, soups, and salads. The wine selection mirrors the Tinderbox menu; ever-changing. The bottle list is global with full renditions of varietals selected to match that evening's menu. The by-the-glass list is a special selection of wines made along with their Companion Sutcliffe Vineyard in McElmo Canyon, Colo. The wines are selected and even specifically blended to add and compliment each dish. "Tinderbox Kitchen is at the epicenter of the Flagstaff culinary awakening." --New York Magazine. "Best Restaurants in Flagstaff," Arizona Republic.
Reviewed 31 May 2018

Read the reviews and stopped in the Tinderbox Kitchen for dinner. We did make a reservation on line and were glad we did. This little restaurant is big on flavor. Started with the special, stuffed avocado with smoked salmon. For our main courses, we had the butterfish and the lamb. Both were perfection.
Not often can such a small town compete with big citie's culinary sophistication, serving dinners with creativity and chef's skills highlighting flavor combos and imagination. Tinderbox does it. Well done!

Kevin H, Owner at Tinderbox Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2018

Idglm, It is our absolute goal every day to make sure we provide the best experience possible for our guests. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I will pass along your comments to our Chef.

Safe travels,

Reviewed 10 May 2018

All started out well, nice service, drinks and apps. My Butter fish was excellent. Unfortunately my wife's chicken was way over salted (and we like salt). Server offered to redo but as the chicken is brined overnight, we thought the others would taste about the same. Unfortunately from then on the server was barely visible. And when she did come by, no additional apology or comment, just silence. Maybe she thought we weren't going to leave a big tip so she stayed away. Good way to insure NO big tip.

Kevin H, Manager at Tinderbox Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

psbun, thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is a good teaching tool. Please let me know the next time you make a reservation I would like to make the situation right.

Regards,

Reviewed 9 May 2018

Had a wonderful dinner here with great service. Decor is lively and servers are attentive. Everything on my plate was well prepared, enjoyed my filet and my partner had butterfish.

Kevin H, Owner at Tinderbox Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2018

jfd, Thank you for taking time to write a review. We certainly appreciate your feedback! I will pass on your comments to our staff and kitchen.

Cheers,

Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

The grits and ribs are awesome and I don’t even like grits. Very friendly staff along with a neat atmosphere. Also, my wife loved the ratatouille.

Kevin H, Manager at Tinderbox Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2018

Hello fellow mid-westerners, (I'm a former Cheesehead).. Thank you for taking time to write a review for Tinderbox Kitchen. We appreciate your feedback. I will share your comments with our Chef. Safe travels.

Cheers,
Tinderbox Kitchen

Reviewed 18 April 2018

Tried to get into Lumberyard Brewing, but they had an hour wait, so we went down the street to Timderbox Kitchen, which was busy, but no wait. ( The kitchen was backed up, but we weren't in any rush.) Everything was fresh and the waitress was very nice. The food was good, not great: thinnish steak and both overcooked, soup and pork belly were very plentiful and very good. I can't remember what the fish and pasta was that two others had, but they liked their dishes. Someone didn't like the wine she ordered and the bar was very nice about exchanging the glass for another choice. They're busy and it was a week night, so make a reservation if you want to get a table. If I lived here, I'd tried it again.

Maura M, Manager at Tinderbox Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2018

Judy, thank you for taking time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback. Hopefully you told your server about the steak, we want our customers to get what they want for their meal.

Hopefully you will get to visit Flagstaff again. Safe travels.

Cheers!
Maura

Been to Tinderbox Kitchen? Share your experiences!