“A dream of a vacation in Tucson”

Lodge on the Desert
Ranked #15 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 18 January 2018

I booked 3 nights at Lodge on the Desert. I requested a Casita King with an adobe fireplace on the ground floor. Everyone from the front desk reception staff, to the housekeepers, to the waitresses and the chef in the restaurant and the spanish guitarist in Cielos was genuine and welcoming and did everything they could to make us feel at ease and at home.The lodge is historic, thick adobe walls, mature plantings of desert cactus interspersed with javelina and snake rusted iron sculptures, and blooming shrubs, tall palms. Separated from the urban neighborhood by a tall adobe wall circling the extensive property, it was wonderful. Free on site parking. The room we stayed in was very roomy and the King bed was firm and comfortable. Old mexican style tilework in the casita gave the rounded walls authentic SW ambience.The night security guard was accompanied by the lodge's on site tabby cat "Tigger" who patrolled the grounds with the security guard :) The onsite restaurant, Cielo, was expensive but unbelievable delicious and romantic. We ate dinner there twice, it was one of the dining highlights of the trip over Christmas. The location of the Inn was just a few moments from the Tucson Botanical Garden, where we arranged to meet an old friend for a few hours and lunch at the onsite Cafe Botanica. I would love to stay at this Lodge again.

Room Tip: I got a promotional rate for my casita and felt I got a great price.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Jim K, General Manager at Lodge on the Desert, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Marina 625013

The staff and I very much appreciate your taking your time to let us know of your experience at the Lodge on the Desert. We always hope to know how we can improve our hotel and comments such as yours provide us with the information we look for.

Jim Kerrigan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed 2 January 2018

Good service is attentive and efficient for lunch. Perfect delicate seasoning for the salmon. Nice grounds. Walk round a little bit. This is a long time Tucson standby. This is what you would expect for a five star restaurant. .

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Jim K, General Manager at Lodge on the Desert, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

Dear Az1912,

Reviewed 29 December 2017

I decided to stay at the Lodge in the Desert as it was the last night I would be on the road and wanted a comfortable place to stay.
The hotel staff I interacted with were very friendly and informative. They knew what kind of questions I would typically ask before hand.
The room was very clean and the switches were labeled making it very easy to adjust to the room. The room had a nice sized TV, a King Size Bed, a bathtub and walk-in shower, some great in-room coffee, a comfortable chair, a private patio, high ceilings, and a large toilet seat.
The bed was very comfortable. It was not a memory foam mattress with cooling gel technology, but it was close enough. It was very easy to get to sleep with very little noise and the room is pitch black when the lights are off except for the TV and Receiver status lights.
The breakfast was phenomenal compared to what I have had on my trip. I had some pancakes, fruit, and coffee. The pancakes and coffee in particular were simply a cut above the rest.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank P2243EIkevins
Jim K, General Manager at Lodge on the Desert, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

Dear P2243Elkevins,

Reviewed 25 December 2017 via mobile

I stayed one night at Lodge on the Desert booking last minute via Trip Advisor and it was the most perfect restful stay. I loved the historic vibe of the property and all fireplaces. I stayed in one of the newer rooms but I don’t believe there is much of a difference except for the width of the rooms. The breakfast included the next day was filling and had delicious coffee. I hope I can stay here again and use the pool next time.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Galina D

Dear Galina D

Reviewed 24 December 2017

We got a good deal as we were visiting in December but boy, were we amazed by this hotel! Everything was just so...perfect. The lobby, the room, the cactus gardens, the breakfast. We really felt like we entered an ancient oasis in the middle of Tucson. In fact I think the place should really be called Oasis on the Desert, because it would live up to it's name!
We would definitely stay here again with my gf if chance ever takes us this way again.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple