Lowest prices for your stay
Special rate available
HK$928
Fully refundable before Thu, 25 Apr
No prepayment needed
Hotels.com
HK$920
Fully refundable before Fri, 26 Apr
No prepayment needed
Earn rewards on eligible stays
Agoda.com
HK$843
Fully refundable before Thu, 25 Apr
Multiple ways to pay
1,162 results
All reviews nice hotel buffet breakfast new zealand the ground floor comfortable beds small town good size the main road bars and restaurants reception staff in town a lovely stay guest laundry south island double bed two nights free wifi
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 June 2021

Feel so sad the whole west coast is struggling and recommend to everyone to come to west coast to enjoy what it has to offer. The staff at the hotel were fantastic considering only two rooms booked on our night. Breakfast was great.

Date of stay: June 2021
Sunil Siraboina, Guest Services / Front Office at Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2023

Kia ora

Thankyou for your feedback, we value your business and hope to see you in near future.

Ngā mihi nui.

Reviewed 4 June 2021

The service and staff were exceptional. Special callout and thanks to the General Manager Alexander, who simply couldn't do enough to make sure our time in Franz Josef was memorable. The purpose of our 2 night stay was to experience the glacier where we had a Heli-Hike booked. Unfortunately due to poor weather conditions this was cancelled. Upon returning back to the hotel for breakfast, Alexander immediately put his local knowledge into practice providing us with Plan B options - even to the point of making calls himself.

From a hotel comfort perspective, it met our expectations. It's a little dated (namely the bathrooms), but the rooms were clean, the beds super comfy. Don't book if you're looking for uber luxury. Book this hotel, knowing they've got the important things right.

Without doubt the staff made our time in FJ memorable and we look forward to returning ....when the weather warms up.!

Reviewed 27 May 2021

The hotel is superb. Very well run, with super-friendly and efficient staff. The rooms are very comfortable with excellent views. We enjoyed one breakfast and two dinners and the cooking was sublime. Five stars from me!

Room tip: mountain view
Reviewed 17 May 2021

For this t lime of the year very quiet in town. The hotel itself is large and we were log as red at an an ex on the ground floor.
Room was comfortable although maybe a little dated and could be upgraded.
Did not use lounge or bar so can not comment on service. Location to other services excellent.

Reviewed 5 May 2021

To start our Franz Josef experience, we had to wait around ten minutes at check in, before the only couple in front of us were processed.
Then we were told we would have to pay a further 2.5% surcharge on top of the $204.00 we had already paid.
Then we were told the Restaurant was CLOSED, but there was a restaurant in the hotel in the next block we could use BUT!unfortunately it was fully booked for the night.
BUT we could walk down the street( in the rain) and try to find a cafe or restaurant
Then our room was so cold, we had to retrieve a heater from our motor home to warm it up enough to be comfortable
Then the beds! the most uncomfortable we have ever experienced
So DON'T waste your money by booking here, go find somewhere that provides value for money.

Date of stay: May 2021
Alexander Tschampel, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2021

Kia Ora petelafeet,

I am very sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your stay with us. Despite all our effort to make you and your wife feel comfortable. Has a hotel we have failed to exceed your expectations on us and I am truly sorry and most apologetic.
in regards to your concerns, please allow me to provide the following feedback.
Your check-in to the hotel was delayed due to another guest (who did not have a booking) arriving just a little bit earlier than you and a full booking had to be created. This normally takes around 5 to 10 minutes and I remember that I acknowledged your arrival and made you aware that I will be with you as soon as I possibly can. You correctly pointed out that our sister property was fully booked the day, what explains that I did not have a seconded front office staff on as it was all hands on deck for us that day. That the restaurant was fully booked that evening was due to other guest bookings and there is simply no other explanation. You can believe us that we would have loved to have you and your wife dining with us but this was simply not an option. I remember that I provided you with alternative dining options that were in close proximity tor your guest room and as a hotel standard we are providing hurricane umbrellas in all our guest rooms for your guests to use. I further remember, that I provided you with three different payment options at the time you checked in with us. Cash, EFTPOS or credit card - the latest payment option costs the hotel 4.5% on commission so our preferred options are Cash or EFTPOS payments. For guest that decide to pay by credit card we charge a 1.5% surcharge which we declare to guests in advance. Prior to your arrival, I personally 'comforted' your room and switched on the heater to provide a nice and most importantly warm welcome to you. I remember that you called me to your room after your check in as you had forgotten your cell phone charger and I presented you with charger cable options that we could provide to you. During my visit, I could not ignore that your room was very warm (for my personal taste a bit to warm but this is preference). Anyway, for guests that require additional heating in their room we have portable heaters that can be requested from reception. Next time you stay with us please simply call us from your in-room phone and let us take care of you.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Nga mihi,