“SHAR-LOT-TAY May have the best cooking in Seattle”

Charlotte Restaurant & Lounge
Reserve a table
Mon, 06/12
20:00
Ranked #413 of 4,213 Restaurants in Seattle
Price range: US$5 - US$48
Description: Charlotte Restaurant & Lounge is located on the 16th floor of Lotte Hotel Seattle and offers a panoramic view of Elliott Bay and downtown Seattle. A culinary experience featuring contemporary Pacific Northwest cuisine.
Reviewed 22 October 2021

Charlotte (Pronounced Shar Lot Tay - At first pretentious - After brain kicked in - It's in the Lot Tay Hotel - Marketing Decision) produced the best food we have eaten in Seattle. The dishes arriving from the kitchen were superb, unparalleled in the Emerald City. The setting was elegant, soothing, with a beautiful view, although a bit odd. Unfortunately, the service and timing were disorganized. There appeared to be little supervision and direction for the inexperienced servers. It's almost impossible to get seasoned restaurant employees during this transitional period. The wrong dishes and drinks were served to the wrong people, everywhere I looked, in the expansive room. That's one of the issues, this may be the largest dining room I ever been served elegant food in. The room size alone makes the job more difficult for the servers, who are told to do things like show the bottle when a diner orders a glass of wine.

That's one of their issues, pretension without the substance. There is also a lack of sincerity from the staff. They are very into proving the "Seattle Freeze" is a reality. I asked the maitre d' if I could meet the chef because he went to the University of Wisconsin-Madison, my graduate school alma mater, and I also spent 40 years living in the Badger state. After my request, the maitre d' disappeared and never came back. Maybe I should have sent him a text or email. That's more Seattle. We tried the Hamachi Crudo, the Stone Oven Crudo, Corn Cavatelli, Halibut and Duck. They were all fantastic. The Chef has a light touch, but his cooking packs a subtle punch of flavor, reminding me of the Japanese chefs cooking French food in Paris.

Because of the snafus, we were comped dessert, something we didn't expect. The pastry chef is a culinary chemist. It was wonderful. We shall return to Shar-Lot-Tay often. The prices are reasonable, especially in Seattle, for such marvelous food.

Date of visit: October 2021
Write a reviewReviews (26)

Reviewed 1 October 2021

Fine dining can be intimidating and sometimes you're reluctant to try something new. Charlotte has created their tasting menu for the fall of 2021. I highly recommend it. Tasting menus are a great way to get a feel of what the restaurant encompasses as a whole and also allows you to try local ingredients and things that are in season. If that's not your thing, their regular dinner menu is great! I always love hanging out in the lounge. It's an easy-going atmosphere. Their cocktail is awesome and there's something for everyone! However, if you're in the lounge and are feeling adventurous, don't hesitate to grab Toshi or John (awesome bartenders) to whip you up something delicious. The service is wonderful. Everyone is great and always does their best. I know there has been a shortage of staff at a lot of restaurants and all we can do as diners is be kind and understanding. I give them all the kudos for doing what they can with what they have, especially during the pandemic!

Reviewed 5 September 2021

As self-described “foodies,” we have had the privilege of dining in many of the finest restaurants across the globe. Charlotte deserves its place among them. Here was our experience:
We were greeted by the hostess, Raisa, who offered a huge smile and deep bow. When we realized we made a mistake and made a reservation for 3 instead of 4 (we had a late addition to our party), she swiftly went into action to set up a new place setting and escorted us to a table with a beautiful view of the Seattle waterfront. Our server, Hibo, immediately appeared with menus and asked for our drink orders. Since the bar is known for its handcrafted cocktails, I asked for a recommendation for something interesting but not sweet (I’m usually a purest when it comes to my spirits). She expertly guided me toward the Gold Fashioned, a sophisticated concoction of Japanese Whiskey, saffron, angostura and black lemon bitters. It was excellent. She also kindly brought a non-alcoholic beverage of watermelon juice, cucumber and lime for my 14 year old son.
As we drank our cocktails, we perused the menu which was full of really interesting combinations. I’m a bit embarrassed at how much our table ate but, after a long day of travel, we were famished. And, it does give me the full experience to share with you.
We tried 3 of the 4 starters. The chilled melon soup is not something that we would normally order but it was a really lovely, light palate cleanser to begin our meal. My son practically inhaled the Hamachi crudo, and the roasted octopus was the best I have ever had (and I have spent ample time in Greece, where this dish originated. Well, Charlotte has perfected it). Octopus is very easy to overcook; not this one. It practically melted in my mouth and the accompanying chermoula brought just the right amount of acidity.
Next, we dove into the tomato and pickled peach salad (an unexpected, but delicious flavor combination), the spaghetti and clams (homemade noodles) and lamb tartare, which we all devoured. Hibo suggested we also add an appetizer portion of the corn cavatelli, which we did and were glad for the recommendation.
At this point, we were approaching our limit, but, not ones to give up, we persevered with the salmon, halibut and wagyu. Each dish was a masterpiece – both in preparation and in presentation. When we were unable to complete our dishes, Hibo happily offered to box up the delicious leftovers.
Finally dessert. Deconstructed lemon tart and trio of homemade sorbet (watermelon, passion fruit and strawberry) finished this incredible meal. The tart arrived in a tiny glass cloche and was so light on the palate, it was like eating a cloud. The fruit flavor in the sorbets were so pure and strong, it was more like eating the actual fruit rather than a version of it. Watermelon was the stand out.
From the time Raisa greeted us to the moment Hibo bid us good night, this was a memorable dining experience, one we will never forget. Thank you to the entire staff – the chef, bartender, pastry chef, servers (even Brenda who didn’t have our table but stopped by to welcome us and exchange a few nice pleasantries). We can’t wait to return!

1  Thank Stef M
Reviewed 5 September 2021 via mobile

Best fine dining experience in Seattle!
Beautiful interior design and food is amazing. I specifically‘Thank you’ to Hibo, Kevin and Raisa for the great service.
If you’re looking for something to indulge yourself, this is the one.

Reviewed 27 August 2021

I'm puzzled by all of the positive reviews. I would never recommend this restaurant. It took 30 min to place a drink order. The A5 Wagyu was a chewy piece of gristle that was difficult to cut with a steak knife. The Hamachi Crudo was hamachi tossed in sour plum juice. The salmon was fishy tasting with a limp skin.
The decor is more like a coffee shop and don't strive for a window seat. Yes, there is the Bay in the distance but mostly you are looking down on squalid roof tops with rusted air conditioning units and garbage.

Date of visit: August 2021