“First time and won’t be the last”
Review of L'Esquisse

L'Esquisse
Ranked #5 of 83 Restaurants in Douarnenez
Price range: US$17 - US$44
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

Found this diamond on tripadvisor I had a steak, my wife had chicken and our daughter had a burger, all were perfectly cooked. The staff were attentive and despite us all attempting France were very polite.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Dinner with family, shared entrée with selection of brochettes, salmon, boudin noir, shrimp, chicken. good selection and flavouring. main courses the burgers & fish in papillote: meat and fish and home made frites. Both excellent, although personally a little too much cheese for the size of the fish. Good wine (Côte du Rhone) selection, great friendly service. Resonable pricing.

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

The town has a wide range of choices all around the harbour and marina which extends for quite a way around a rocky headland. This was the closest to the campsite so we called by and asked if a table was available and one was found inside which was a good choice as the evenings in September are starting to get a bit chilly.

Friendly service and a good set of fixed price menus between 20 and 40 euros. If anything the food was a little over-presented with too much coloured sauces in dramatic stripes but nevertheless tasty. Slight mix up with the wrong dessert but quickly rectified.

Good but not the best meal of our week away.

1  Thank andyt1993
Reviewed 27 March 2017

France and vegetarian food don't usually go hand-in-hand so I was quite prepared to be eating pizza or pasta again when we were in Douarnenez last week. How wrong I was!
Firstly, L'Esquisse, in the Port de Plaisance, offers a vegetarian dish on their main menu so I didn't have to go in asking tentatively if they could prepare something meat and fish free for me. Secondly, the dish on offer had been given as much thought and care as any of the other options, so I didn't feel like an afterthought. Thirdly, the food was both beautifully presented and tasted delicious. Fourthly, when it came to the desserts, the waiter took time to point out to me any which contained gelatine, something which rarely happens in UK restaurants.
Apparently the vegetarian option is changed several times a year so, if we go back there, I wouldn't be facing the same meal, though that really wouldn't be a problem.
One very slight issue was that the vegetarian starter options were both a part of the bigger dish which was offered as a main course. My partner and I were only having a two course meal so it wasn't a problem but maybe some thought could be given to this in the future. It is the only reason I didn't go for the full five stars!
My partner's main course was excellent, the wine choices were good, the atmosphere friendly and relaxed.
And the Café Gourmand dessert choice was out of this world!!

Reviewed 7 January 2017

Nice atmosphere, lovely paintings, great food and friendly staff. Will go again and would recommend it.