17 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia
Agoda.comUS$2,075
TripadvisorUS$2,075
Snaptravel
3,591 results
All reviews outdoor shower king's pond palm grove eagle ray cultural center swim up bar ulu restaurant golf course adult pool the big island beach house quiet pool ice water family pool pool service every staff member sea turtles
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 August 2021 via mobile

This hotel has a massive reputation. Here is what I’ve observed so far. The food is not better than an airport food court. Seriously. It costs 5 to 10 times as much, but will be the same in quality as your garden variety LAX meal. The hotel is completely understaffed. It takes an hour to get a drink by the pool and some of the staff you ask will openly say that you need to wait because if they put an order in it won’t matter. It’s a nice property for sure, but you will want to eat and drink while you are here, and the quality level based on what we’ve seen will make you want to cry when you realize what you’ve paid. It’s a gorgeous property and the natural surroundings are world class, but it feels like it’s running at half speed

Date of stay: August 2021
2  Thank Mrstarwood
Mark Ley, Marketing at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2021

Aloha!

Thank you for providing such valuable feedback and I apologize that your stay with us has been less than ideal.

We would love the opportunity to turn your vacation around if you would like to reach out to me directly at any time.

Mahalo piha!
(whole-hearted gratitude)

Reviewed 6 August 2021 via mobile

We stayed at this resort in 2 rooms as a family for 6 nights.

Property: Absolutely gorgeous! Loved our walks along the ocean & lava rock pools, past the villas. Green & beautifully maintained with abundance of flowers.

Rooms: The prime ocean view rooms were okay - nothing gorgeous about them & we felt were below par - compared to other properties we have stayed in.

Lava rock bath: looks pretty ordinary at first but taking a bath here is an experience. The baths are partially covered & it’s awesome taking a shower in filtered sunlight amidst chirping of birds in the morning. Evening showers feel like you are in a rain forest.

View of rooms: one of our rooms was on second floor with a balcony & the view was pretty. The view from the first/ ground floor was okay - nothing great.

Housekeeping: Not good at all. The rooms were well cleaned only one day during our stay, a day before we left. The other days it was pretty bad. Used cups & glasses were not taken away or replaced & we had to repeatedly call. The shower gel bottle in the bath was broken & we had to call too. These minor things may be common at other hotels but when we stay in Four Seasons we expect the value for the money spent. The towels look a little worn out too.

Breakfast: Standard, no wow factor. Service at breakfast is pretty bad, the servers are all over the place & there are delays in bringing in orders. The fruit & pastry section needs additional servers as there may be waits.

Restaurants: We enjoyed the food at BeachTree, both lunch & dinner menu/ food is pretty good although limited. The waiting staff is excellent, very professional & Frank is a gem, full of empathy & very professional.
We were not crazy about the food at Ulu although the waiting staff is excellent. It’s pricier but we have had higher quality of food at that price.

Once during our afternoon walk we asked for a bottle of water from Beach Tree & was provided one for $9! We don’t mind paying but this seemed a bit much!

Beach: loved the beach specially the huge lava rock pool. The water is warm & you can swim. In the pool areas & beach, there is room for everyone - it’s so expansive. Our kids thoroughly enjoyed snorkeling in the lava rock pool, teeming with fish. Almost every day we saw sea turtles swimming there. The beach cabanas, twin loungers are awesome & the beach staff is just super.

Pls use water shoes if you decide to step into the tiny rock pools as there are hidden sea urchins.

Concierge: We had a medical emergency during our stay. Security with medical equipment arrived within 15 mins, EMT soon after & nurse Julie (a sweet caring professional) made a room visit. However a family member had to be taken to the hospital for chk up & IV. The concierge called a cab for me(due to covid regulations I was not able to accompany in the ambulance), they were unable to provide any resort car. The drive is 45mins. I sat in the parking lot of the hospital for 8 hrs, the cab driver was kind enough to sit with me. The concierge just told me the cab driver would have all details of the hospital & return info. That was all. Imagine being in a strange place with no support - I have never felt so alone. Returned around 12:30/ 1 am & even next day no one from the front desk or concierge chkd. Sone resorts have a heart some are completely indifferent/ money oriented.

Luau: The resort organizes lovely luaus & dinner in a gorgeous amphitheater. We loved the interactive performance. Chk out the menu when you book & ask for replacements if you do not eat something. The performers are great & the setting perfect.

Plan a trip to the caldera - the surreal landscape there is worth seeing. If possible use Kalani tours & ask for PJ. He makes this long day tour interesting.

Date of stay: August 2021
3  Thank 12NP
Mark Ley, Marketing at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2021

Aloha!

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback as we're always looking for ways to improve. I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations.

We are ecstatic to hear about your children enjoying their time in the ocean pool - what a precious memory! We also think that the outdoor showers are just amazing. We are so glad that you thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

We are addressing the issues that you encountered within the team and appreciate you taking the time to show us room for improvement.

If you would like to provide additional information please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed 5 August 2021

We were excited to vacation again after a year of COVID quarantine. We chose Four Seasons Hualalai as our first vacation spot after COVID. We’ve been here before (read my previous review) and had an amazing experience the last time around. However, after spending $25,000+ for our 6 night stay here, we left feeling really disappointed and unhappy with our experience.

Our experience this time was much different from our last and it has to do with inconsistency and lack of service, which is not what you would expect from a five star hotel. As soon as we were being checked in, things already felt different. The front desk staff was professional but wasn’t friendly and didn’t make us feel welcomed.

Room:
The hotel has 2 versions of their oceanfront suite. A lower level option and an upper level option. The lower level option has a large outside terrace, which makes the outdoor area a lot more spacious than the upper level option. However, the downside is that the view of the ocean is more obscured and not truly oceanfront. The upper level oceanfront suite has a true oceanfront view and the view is unobstructed but the outdoor balcony is small and narrow.

We booked the oceanfront suite and for the first few nights we stayed in the lower level suite and it was spacious and the view was decent, but I would not say the lower level room is a true oceanfront suite as there is a walkway right in front of the outside terrace and the room is actually quite far back from the ocean. In addition, every night you see couples having romantic candlelight dinners in front of your supposedly paid unobstructed oceanfront view. We’ve inquired about eating there ourselves since there were limited dining options, but they were unable to accommodate.

Another issue with the lower level suite is that we found 3 dead and 1 live cockroach during our stay there. We had to call the front desk on multiple occasions to clean up or kill the cockroaches. Yes, I understand that we are on a tropical island, but no I still don’t appreciate finding multiple cockroaches around our room. It makes me wonder if the rooms were thoroughly cleaned and this is especially important during COVID times. I believe that since our room is on the lower level and next to the ‘Ulu restaurant, the room was more susceptible to having cockroaches. We requested to move to a higher room floor away from the restaurant and we stayed there for 3 nights and did not find a single cockroach so it makes me believe the room we initially had was a magnet for cockroaches.

Another morning, at 7 am, we hear loud pounding from a room next to ours. It woke us up and we called the front desk to complain about the noise. They said construction wasn’t supposed to start until 9 am, but someone did not get the message. By the time they fully investigated and the noise stopped we were already wide awake.

Restaurants:
Let me start off by saying there are only 2 restaurants at the hotel as the grill was not open yet during our stay. There is also a 3rd option at the residents beach house. What they forget to tell their guests is that you should book reservations to these restaurants way in advance of your stay. We tried to book reservations for dinner every night when we got there and each night our reservation wasn’t until 8 or 8:30 pm. Part of the frustration of eating late was that menu items would be sold out by the time we ordered. The experience was also frustrating because the concierge made it seem like they were doing us a favor by getting us a reservation if at all, even though we were staying at the resort - where else are we supposed to eat?

Again, service was inconsistent. Sometimes you get a really great waiter and other times you don’t. Some of the waiters seemed to be new and not knowledgeable about the menu and the prices. When we ordered the seafood tower we were told it was $150, but it turned out to be $250. It was not about the money, but you would expect the server to know how much things cost especially since the menu is limited.

Pool/Beach:
The main pool is always packed and a lot of times you have to put your name on the waitlist if you don’t arrive early enough. Service at the main pool was good as servers tend to be available and attentive. Beachside service, however, is again, inconsistent. Sometimes we were met with really good service and other times you wouldn't see a server come around for hours. The beaches were not crowded so it was nice and relaxing, however there was construction going on so depending on where you decide to relax you can hear loud banging throughout the day.

Conclusion:
I think we should have waited until they worked out all of their kinks after their COVID shutdown before we dropped $25,000+ to stay here. We’ve been to 5 star properties all around the world and this is not it. One crucial thing that defines a 5 star hotel is consistently good and attentive service throughout your stay as well as going above and beyond to make their guests happy and satisfied. We didn’t feel like our complaints were well addressed and issues kept coming up throughout our stay. After multiple complaints about multiple issues during our stay, not once did a manager come to our room to apologize even after we spoke to a front desk manager about our issues nor was anything sent to our room as a gesture of good faith. Anything they would have given us would have been immaterial to the $25,000+ we spent there but even just the gesture of sending a bottle of wine or some fruits would have made us feel like they at least cared and acknowledged our negative experiences.

I hope they work out their issues and return to the Four Seasons Hualalai we’ve come to know and love.

Date of stay: May 2021
6  Thank Diana K

Aloha Diana!

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback as we're always looking for better ways to improve.

We are disheartened that your recent stay with us was less than ideal and offer our sincerest apologies. Rest assured that we take all of your concerns seriously and will continue to work within our team to find remedies to these issues.

If you would like to provide any additional comments please feel free to contact me directly at any time.

Mahalo!

Reviewed 30 July 2021 via mobile

Let me start off saying my favorite four seasons to date is punta mita. I don’t know if it’s fair to compare this one to one in another country, but it’s inevitable. Also I know it’s Covid and the resorts are just coming back to life so they got a pass for that

Kids for all seasons didn’t greet us at the lobby like punta mita and the guy didn’t even tell us what was going on for today. Just gave us a paper print out.
Golf cart to room but he didn’t show us how everything worked or tell us where everything was. Didn’t show me where the laundry was or take us by kids for all seasons.
No chair reservations at pool.
You know it’s bad when you’re at one resort and you’re already regretting not having gone to the other one that is your gold standard. First day was kind of a let down. We had never stayed here before. I remember when I was younger, a lot of friends on Oahu had had their honeymoon here.

Rooms: newly remodeled and bathrooms have fans which are nice but toilet door is slotted so no privacy there although there are pocket doors to the bathroom itself. Ours wouldn’t close all the way. Kids did not get the usual welcome package. It wasn’t until they were playing with a little boy their age at the pool who said the water toy he had came in a bag with a stuffed animal and some other stuff that we realized. Service was spotty. Sometimes we wouldn’t get turn down service and sometimes they would try to come after we were sleeping.

Day 1:
Beach tree
Poke bowl $37- good but a lot of rice and the rice was really plain - I think it would have been better on a salad or with furikake rice. Kids burgers $12 had buns thantlooked smashed and flat like they just came out of a bag.

Pool service : sat for about 2 hours on the first day and no one in a blue shirt came to see it I wanted water or anything to drink. Really the reason we stay at the FS instead of the Waikoloa is for the service and so i can lounge in my lounge chair and someone can wait on me and bring me a ridiculously expensive drink, am I right? After about 15 min a guy in a white shirt came and asked if i wanted towel covers for the chair. Had to go up to the little shack and request a water at around the 1,5 hr mark even though three waiters walked passed me about 50 times. No sunblock advertised but they have it if you ask. Pool service improved on subsequent days. Popsicles at around 1:30 but where’s the sunglasses doctor?

Shaved ice : they should be embarrassed. Considering Hawaii and shaved ice are as synonymous as big island and Mauna Kea , this is the WORST shaved ice in Hawaii EVER. It’s a snow cone pretending to be a shaved ice. Ice is crunchy and tiny pieces of ice and should be shaved, fluffy and soft. Syrup is too sweet. It was like being at a resort in Montana that’s trying to make like it’s Hawaiian. And for two for almost $20? Ridiculous. Big island shaved ice company at Waikoloa shopping center has real shaved ice. But really, if you’re the four seasons and supposed to be so amazing no one wants to leave your property, you should invest in a better shaved ice machine.

Hualalai grill: octopus appetizer. For $23 it’s only ok. You get one tentacle and I’m sorry to say it was chewy. They need to send the chef to osteria mozza in LA or the four seasons punta mita to learn how to make octopus.

Residence beach house - highly recommend for a relaxed atmosphere and restaurant on the beach but harder to get reservations as priority is given to the residences. But they can tell you by 3:30. We went at 5:30 and it wasn’t busy at all. Food was great! My favorite restaurant of them all for the atmosphere and simple cuisine.

Trading post is a great deal ( comparatively) for breakfast and grab and go stuff.

Lagoon in the ocean was better than their lagoon - it had lots of turtles but be careful wading in as they have urchins. Also go earlier when tide is lower. Free snorkel rental

Overall service was good. Everyone willing to do things that were asked but I can’t say that anyone went the extra mile except for the vallet guy who threw four umbrullas into our trunk and saved us from getting soaked when we told him we were going to Hilo for the day. Cheers to him!

Date of stay: July 2021
3  Thank Rx-art
Mark Ley, Marketing at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2021

Aloha,

I want to thank you for sharing your experience with us, I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. We appreciate you taking the time to show us room for improvement. I want to thank you for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback as we're always looking for ways to improve.

Reviewed 25 July 2021

The hotel is amazing - it really has been described so well by others. It was truly relaxing.

I especially wanted to call out Executive Chef Richard Polhemus - as our son has a whole host of allergies which makes traveling difficult.

Richard made it all so easy for us. He arranged a menu before we got there. He made sure that every other chef knew about our son's allergies, and any time we went for dining - it was a seamless, smooth experience, including a special breakfast for him (they even arranged ordering a special pancake mix for him).

Thank you Chef Richard for making this such a mentally relaxing vacation for us.

Date of stay: June 2021
1  Thank mza455
Mark Ley, Marketing at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2021

Aloha!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a wonderful review. We are ecstatic to hear that we could provide the ease and relief of travel with your sons dietary restrictions. We'll be sure to share your feedback with Chef Richard and our amazing team, who strive to facilitate special experiences for our guests time and again. We hope to see you and your family enjoying special pancakes again soon in paradise!