Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Expedia
US$1,875
View deal
Agoda.com
Trip.com
Snaptravel
3,579 results
All reviews outdoor shower king's pond palm grove eagle ray beach tree pool swim up bar ulu restaurant golf course adult pool the big island beach house quiet pool steam room family pool pool service every staff member sea turtles
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 June 2021

rubens881

This was our 3rd Four Seasons property visit. The first time (2017), we visited Four seasons Oahu, we (I and my wife) were super impressed. So we returned to Four Seasons Oahu in 2019.

And we had a bad experience

This year, we thought let's give another try to Four Season property, so we (I, my wife and our 3 years old son) visited Four Seasons Kona from May 15th to 26th.

Let's see, where we start:
- The room was a partial golf course view and ocean view on one side. During our full stay, every day from morning to evening lots of massive noises from big construction equipments. Our golf course and Ocean view was sprinkled with lots of big construction vehicles. Other side of the room was parking lot.
Several parts of the property, lots of construction noises, equipments moving around all of the time.

- Upon arrival, I reported that our bathroom pocket door doesn't close property, very hard to drag and close. Supposedly they sent a mechanic to fix it, and nothing changed. So for the entire stay we had to deal with a very hard to close bathroom door. By the way bathroom door has no lock, and when you have 3 years old kid, you can imagine the plight of my wife, who simply couldn't use the bathroom peacefully.

- First night, our 3 years old slept in the baby crib provided by the hotel. Morning when we woke up, his entire body has 50+ large bite marks of something. Upon reporting to the front desk, they said maybe mosquitos (even though our balcony door, front door were closed). We were given a mosquito repellent candle.

Second night, exactly the same thing happened. Another 30+ big new bite marks. This time again I reported to the front desk, and I have questioned that they might have bed bugs or something along that time.
Only after that, housekeeping came and cleaned the entire room, changed all the mattresses of the bed and crib. Only after that for the reminder of the say our son was not bitten by bed bugs or someother bugs that were in the mattresses.

- On the third day, our son suddenly screamed in the bathroom. We discovered a cockroach in the bathroom. Reported to the front desk but no reaction. We took a photo of it. You can see it by yourself.

- Entire property really has 3 restaurants. "Residents Beach House", "Ulu" and "Beach Tree". This property is far away from any other business. So as a guest, you can expect that you can walk-in at least in one of the restaurant and grab dinner.

First evening, we walked-in to restaurant at 5.30 pm, and we were told that they are fully booked, we have to do take out or order in-room service. Even though we saw several tables were empty.

"Residents beach house" you can never get a reservation. No prior reservation is allowed. On the day of dining, only at 3 PM, reservation queue gets opened. We can't call and reserve, only concierge has to do that. For the entire during concierge didn't get a single day reservation for us.

After 3 - 4 calls to concierge, on the second day we got reservations to alternate restaurant, however for two days there were no dinner reservation.
It is very odd to see that a high end five star hotel doesn't have enough seats for its own guests.

- Food in Beach tree and Ulu restaurants, that is another story. First we should give credit where it is due. Pastry chef is Ulu restaurant, is excellent. We even enquired about the chef. We live in the city in US with very expansive restaurant choices. So we have had our fair share of understanding what is means "tasty food", and on top of that my wife is very much into gourmet cooking.

Food in general in Ulu and Beach tree is very mediocre to bad. We were very surprised that, food quality so mediocre in a reputated five star hotel.
During our 11 days stay, given that we had to alternate between two restaurants for lunch and dinner, by 7th day, we were repeating the same mediocre food over and over again.

For breakfast you have to go to Ulu restaurant. First few days we took breakfast buffet. In the fruit section, they have cut papaya, however they are not peeled. Try eating unpeeled papaya with fork, spoon and knife, that is an exercise. On the second day I asked at the fruit counter, why they don't peel papaya, and I was told that if I wanted to eat peeled papaya, we have to order from a la carte menu. That is an interesting answer, and very surprising.
Breakfast buffet option for the entire duration pretty much remained unchanged, may be 2 - 3 options changed.

Two times in the restaurant, we were given stale chips with stale smell (when we ordered chips and salsa), and server acknowledged it later.

When we checked in, we were told that hotel policy that, kids younger than 4 eats for free. Everytime we would go to the restaurant, they would charge for our 4 years old son and then we have check the bill, and ask the server to change the bill.

During our entire duration, we hired a nanny (via hotel referenced nanny service). After we settled our bill and came home, and we checked that, everytime our nanny went to the restaurant with our son, hotel charged for his meal, and our nanny simply charged to the room.
This is a sneaky tactics by hotel, try to nickel and dime you in every possible ways. In most of the well known high end hotel, simply don't charge for kids below certain age. We as a hotel guests, we don't have to be vigilant that hotel is not charging us money incorrectly.

- In the kids pool area, there are absolutely no toys, nothing.
- In the adult pool area, when we will go there, sometime we will wait for 5 - 10 mins, before someone would come with towels etc to setup the beach chairs, when we see that folks responsible for the pools were chatting and hanging out amongst themselves

On final note, when we arrived in the Kona Four seasons, we were chatting with the staff members. They asked us that if we visited any four seasons in the past, in response we told them that we were in Four seasons Ohau. At that time we were informed that, hotel manager of Oahu Four Seasons is managing the Kona Four seasons. Hearing that I and my wife sighed, given our bad experience at Oahu Four seasons (during our second visit), but we were still optimistic.

Well, "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me", so it was our foolishness that we decided to make a follow up trip to Four seasons.

PS: My wife and I took few massage sessions. The masseuse we had were excellent.

After we returned home, I called up Four Seasons to report the problems. I was first told that, send an email to their office of president. Upon insistence, the person on the other end took down the notes. I spent 45 mins explaining all the issue. So much for customer service.

5  Thank rubens881
Sebastian Hinsch, Owner at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2021

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time out to share your experience with us. I am extremely sorry that you had a disappointing stay with the many shortcomings and am grateful you had the opportunity to connect with our General Manager, Charlie Parker, in attempt to reconcile these missteps personally.

Please do not hesitate to reach out should you feel the need to provide further feedback or information.

With Aloha,

Reviewed 30 May 2021

Best resort on Kona side. Great staff, great rooms, great view, great food and no fighting for shade around the pools as they have plenty of choices. Pricy but worth it!
Ulu has the best ambiance and the Beach Tree is not far off. Menus are a little short but I think that will change as we get out of Covid. Servers are incredible at both restaurants.

Date of stay: May 2021
Sebastian Hinsch, Owner at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2021

Aloha David,

Wow, what a touching review! Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience. We are grateful you chose to stay with us and we hope to see you again soon in paradise!

Reviewed 27 May 2021

over the past 30 years my wife and I visited the best resorts islands in Hawaii. The Four Seasons on the big island is if the finest of all the 4-5 star resort we have stayed at. the quality, the setting and the service are outstanding. We will be back next year.

Review collected in partnership with Four Seasons

Aloha!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a wonderful review. We're ecstatic to hear that you hold Hualalai at the high level of service that we are consistently striving for! We'll see you back soon. Mahalo!

Reviewed 27 May 2021

We first visited Four Seasons Hualalai in 2018, and enjoyed it so much we picked it as our first post-vaccination trip destination. I was not disappointed, the property is as lovely as ever and the service is still outstanding. It’s not always perfect, but whenever there was a lapse, the response more than made up for it.

Particular kudos to the executive chef, Richard, and the rest of the kitchen management and staff, for going above & beyond to accommodate my dietary restrictions. He communicated with me prior to arrival, offering his phone number if I ever wanted to contact him for assistance. They even made a delicious cake for me, and were happy to share recipes. It really put my mind at ease and made me feel welcome.

They are making every effort to provide a safe, clean experience for everyone, with masks required in all public areas except when seated at your table or the beach/pool. I did note that enforcement seemed to lessen a bit after the CDC’s most recent announcement, but you are outdoors for almost everything, including meals, and tables and loungers are well-spaced out, so it feels very safe and relaxing. They take your temperature and make a rather perfunctory effort to review screening questions before putting on your daily wristband when you go to breakfast.

The King’s Pond area has been significantly modified; it’s still lovely to look at but a bit less “natural” than before, with a new infinity pool, deck area with loungers, and some additional structures. We really enjoyed that pool, so I think it’s a good improvement. At the other end of the resort, a couple of new oceanfront buildings are under construction near the adult pool and Residents’ Beach Club, which unfortunately meant listening to the sound of construction while at the adult pool. For that reason, I would currently recommend avoiding rooms in that location.

The rooms have been updated since our first stay, and I was especially pleased that one of the few improvements I wished for last time has been implemented – handhelds were added to the rain showers. (My other wish, that they get a true shave ice machine for the surf shack, remains unfulfilled; it’s still just an overpriced snow cone.) The rooms are gorgeous, well-appointed and comfortable. Plenty of drawer and closet space, multiple bedside outlets for charging electronics, reading lights, a refrigerator, and an iPad for browsing menus, ordering food or other services, etc.

I particularly love that the rooms here are scattered in low-rise buildings with individual entrances, it does not feel like a huge, crowded resort. No hallways, no elevators, just a relaxed island vibe. We were offered an upgrade to a suite for the latter part of our stay, at a reduced rate, which we took advantage of. We didn’t use the living room much, but having the larger lanai with two loungers was really delightful.

2  Thank Seattle98101

Aloha!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a wonderful review. We're ecstatic to hear that you decided to return to Hualalai since your last visit in 2018 & seemed to have an all around amazing time! Chef Richard is a key member of our team and we are so glad that you were able to accommodate your dietary restrictions with the high level of service that we strive for. We'll be sure to share your feedback with the team, who strive to facilitate special experiences for our guests time and again. We hope to see you again soon in paradise!

Reviewed 24 May 2021 via mobile

This is my 6th time staying at Hualalai and it was by FAR the best! The room updates are gorgeous, the new pool by the kings pond is amazing, and the menu at Ulu has been updated and is great!

Even though there were COVID precautions happening (most notably with the buffet which was difficult to navigate and hard to hear the servers behind the glass), the precautions were hardly even noticeable. Also, the hotel was either at or very close to capacity when we stayed but with the addition of the new pool it was much easier than in past years to get a chair! Only the adult pool chairs were a little tricky to get, but every other pool had really good turnover.

Shout out to Michael our bellman who was a delight during the tour and bag drop off, Shannon at the swim up bar who invented multiple custom cocktails for me, Arturo at the kings pond who gave us above and beyond service and Floyd at Ulu who made our dinner amazing with his knowledge of wines and sorted us out when our table was way too windy!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Sebastian Hinsch, Owner at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2021

Aloha Kate,

Mahalo for giving us such an amazing review! We're so glad that you continue to return to our little slice of paradise. 6th visit - were so honored! We will be sure to share this feedback with Michael, Shannon, Arturo & Floyd, the fantastic team that makes this magic happen time and again for our guests. We very much appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, and we hope to see you again soon relaxing next to King's Pond!

sebastian.hinsch@fourseasons.com