1,461 results
All reviews pool bar steak restaurant sri lanka tuk tuk kids pool entertainment team all inclusive package main restaurant sea view every other day specialist restaurants tui rep junior suite a la carte restaurants evening entertainment plenty of sunbeds aqua aerobics
Reviewed 1 May 2018

We stayed her from March 6th for 2 weeks, so this review is rather late! However, I must write to praise the staff for their helpfulness, friendliness and pleasant manner at all times, which really helped us to thoroughly enjoy our stay. I am not a great fan of very large hotels, and was a little put off by the photos of the exterior before we arrived, but we were pleasantly surprised by the facilities when we arrived - yes, it does look like a block of flats, and is very stark when you walk along the corridors to your room, but, to be honest, how long do you actually stay in a corridor?! Our room was lovely - we booked a sea view, which made it even more special, and we were pleased that there were bar areas and eating areas which weren't totally enclosed, and where we enjoy a late afternoon tipple/ an enjoyable evening. Loved the restaurants too - we only managed to get to one speciality restaurant, but there was plenty to choose from in the buffet restaurant (we particularly liked the dips, samosas, spring rolls, curries...) and when we did visit the Steak restaurant, it was fabulous. We always found a good place by the pool and loved walking along the beach - beware of some of the locals, juts one or two, who can pester you, though. I was very surprised to read that one or two guests weren't happy with cleanliness - we thought it was very superior to some of the other Riu hotels we have been in, and it was made very clear what was expected of the guests; in fact, I would say that the hotel was immaculate when we were there. We did go on 2 trips with TUI - even if you book with others, it is really well worth getting out and about, and visiting an elephant sanctuary and/or a temple is a must. We must thank both our trip guides, who were fantastic, with a special mention of "Obama" who usually goes on the 2 day trip to Kandy, Dambulla and Sigiriya, who not only looked after us really well and gave us all the information he could on the places we visited, but also made the trip even more interesting by some grate anecdotes about day-to-day life in Sri Lanka. Also the 2 reps, who were really helpful. One or two things we felt could be better: there is a screen in reception with information for guests - we didn't know this for a long time - perhaps a note explaining this could be added to the map etc we received on arrival. We also thought the bookings for the specialist restaurants could be looked at - we almost didn't get a booking at all, but reception were fantastic and squeezed us in. However, when we got there, several tables had not be used all evening.. maybe there could be a system to let guests know if someone has cancelled a table or a table isn't taken. I think our main gripe would be the breakfast box, which really let the hotel down. The system is good in theory - providing basic requirements, then letting guests choose what they want - but the choice was dire. Tuna sandwiches and a vegetarian option, which seemed to be bread with some form of "chutney", nothing else. It would be nice if there were a greater selection set aside, maybe including some pastries, for those who have ordered a breakfast box... Despite this, I would thoroughly recommend the hotel; we would definitely consider returning, but are hoping to explore a few more parts of the world now that I am free from the constraints of school holidays!! One last word - I know this is late, but should anyone who stayed in the hotel from March 6th 2018 be reading this review, thank you for being such a nice group of people - we met some very friendly fellow guests and hope they enjoyed their stay as much as we did.

Room Tip: The sea view room was well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cynthia h
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

I used the word OVERALL Because I was annoyed reaching the reception from the room phone as they never answer which is Rude in a way.
But to be honest Rangana(trainee) & Iresha was so helpful which changed my entire impression on this hotel because they were so Nice to me and even arranged me a late check out and apologized for the inconvenience caused. Food was great I was at the Senior Suite which was really awesome with a in-room Jacuzzi and the rooms & Toilets were supper clean. Great View from the room.
And will definitely Return Back !!!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Randil P
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

A lovely calm place. It is a heaven of food and beverages. It's an all inclusive package which you can have it anytime in anywhere. Delicious and more varieties of food. Very beautiful beach and 3 swimming pools with lots of activities. A nice big clean rooms. Clean and new bathrooms. Very big area for visitors. Really love it.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Piumalie L
Reviewed 1 May 2018

I stayed one night in the hotel with my family. Their all inclusive package was ok. But 'off time' restaurants did not offer much service, except some sandwiches and standard drinks. Kids pool is the best !!! 5 points. Quality of pool bar is not satisfied, they tend to loose quality of 5 star while offering unlimited drinks.

Room Tip: Rooms with side view for sea also have nice sea view.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank SL_Wanderer
Reviewed 30 April 2018

We stayed ar the Riu Sri Lanka.frpm the 10th to the 20th April and our stay was faultless. From the moment we checked in to be told we had an upgraded room with a sea view (2029 great views and a quiet room) to when we checked out our stay was perfect.
This hotel is immaculate but the real stars of the hotel are the staff. From reception to the restaurant staff and to the night security staff who greeted us ar 3, 4 or 5 am with a smile as we headed on our day trips, the staff were so friendly and courteous. They could not do enough to ensure our stay was as perfect as possible.
Riu Management your staff are a credit to you and you obviously have a happy team watching them celebrate at their New Year festivities.
I am a gluten free vegetarian and I was catered for so well by the restaurant staff. Mr Philippe and his team of chefs could not have been more helpful and I ate so well for the duration of our stay. I was concerned about this before leaving home but if you need a gluten free diet you can stay and dine here with confidence.
I do urge you though to use the Riu as a great base but to get out and see Sri Lanka which is beautiful. You can book with confidence with Sam from Big Brother tours who are available to talk to down on the beach. We had 3 trips with them and we were so well looked after on each. If you want a more detailed report please check my trip adviser report for them. Sam saved the day when we were let down by a supplier who we had booked with before leaving the UK. He got us booked so we were able to do the trip we had wanted 24 hours after we had been originally booked to go. Before we started our holiday my wish was to live it as much as possible and Sam and his team helped us get booked to see and do all we had wanted.
Also please go and speak to the beach traders who are ordinary people trying to make a living. I think it's important that us tourists get out there spending with the locals.
Riu management.. I have one request to make. We were told repeatedly by your staff how good you are to work for. You have street dogs who live on the beach below the hotel. I know from speaking to other tourists that other hotels have charity boxes to feed them. Your guests leave concerned about these animals with no home and no one to love them. Is a charity box something you would consider or would you consider helping them with food scraps at the end of the day. As an wild life tourist as many who visit you are I would welcome your response?

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple