Free cancellation until 26/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$101
DD Ubud Jungle Villa(Tegalalang)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$54
Hotels.com
Ubud Sawah Homestay(Tegalalang)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 21/07
Free cancellation until 22/07
US$42
US$33
Hotels.com
The Kampung Resort Ubud(Tegalalang)(Great Value!)
US$86
US$71
永安旅遊
Alam Ubud Culture Villas & Residences(Tegalalang)(Great Value!)
US$305
US$227
Agoda.com
Puri Sebatu Resort(Tegalalang)(Great Value!)
Villa Amrita(Tegalalang)
Hotels.com
All reviewsvillage tourorganic gardencooking classlocal villagerice paddiesbalinese cultureyoga retreatmeditation roomartist housecome homefamily roomdelicious foodfamily compoundmt agungsmall hotelroad noiseart school
Reviewed 31 July 2017

Stayed there for a night on my special day and my main expectation was the room view and surrounding - peaceful wet foggy tropical forests , however it turned out to " didn't meet expectation" at all

PROS :
Friendly staff
A cake set up in the room was a nice gesture
Fresh water in the pool and bathroom
Beautiful green jungle view and organic garden if you go up.
The one hard pillow and one soft pillow is a nice combo!

CONS :
You would sense a moldy / humid smell in the room, on the sheets and fabrics but (I personally thought) it's tolerable due to its location in the middle of the forests. However they put this automatic room air freshener on the top of the wardrobe facing to the bed and it sprays chemical fragrance every 20 minutes! Definitely a no no during the night time.I would suggest to use more nature products that you can easily find anywhere in Bali like coffee ground or lemon grass. I believe it costs less as well.

WIFI was very weak, and did not work at all during our stay. Shared my feedbacks to reception and she said that iPhone often had problem with it. I did not comment more after that.
Local cellular signal was also weak due to its remote location, so for those who needs good internet connection needs to be very patient as both connections are unstable.

No hand spray near the toilet bowl (it's important bathroom feature for Indonesian/ Southeast Asian)

Very limited basic breakfast options : started with a tiny cup of coffee / tea and a piece of bread ( 4 pieces for 4 of us!) and you can only choose 1 menu from the list (western or local delight). We chose fried rice which stated that it came up with chicken and I have confirmed with the waiter but we got fried rice which had been cooked in advance (the rice was not even warm when it served in our table) and it has no chicken at all - not even the shredded ones mixed with the rice.
We did not report about the chicken to the waiter, and we also needed to ask for shrimp crackers (which was a major condiment for nasi goreng Indonesia and they should put it together already). Sambal sauce was not served unless you ask for it.
Slices of tropical fruits included as part of breakfast would be really nice considering they have their own organic garden but nothing was given as it's one of the breakfast menu (served with yoghurt) and you could not choose others if you choose the fruits one.
Bali is a tropical fruit paradise, meaning it's not cost a lot (or maybe you can grow them on your own garden) and they should have it as breakfast pass around.
Drinking water was also will not be served unless you ask the waiter for it.

Traffic noise was also an issue, we could hear it from the pool, the restaurant, the lobby as the main road was just down the cliff.Laying down on a sun chairs in the pool : pleasure to the eyes, no pleasure to the ears.

Our main issue was the room, we booked a Deluxe Family Room which stated on their website to have a look out view over the swimming pool and coconut groves, with a really nice pictures with the green view, swimming pool, and a long chair on the balcony/ terrace however we are quite shocked to find out that the room we're given was facing to the walls and the restaurant / lobby rooftop with no view at all. no long chair on our terrace and we could hear people chattering behind the wall. I shared my feedbacks directly with the reception, told her that this was not as seen as in the pictures on the website, she kept saying that what explained on the website was a Deluxe room and not a family room, and she apologized that she could not move us to any other room because they were fully booked. (later I checked the room availability online (Agoda App) and saw they still have one Suite available on the same night, maybe it was an error from the online website or maybe The Suite indeed available but it was way more expensive than what we paid for so there was no chance to move us to that room). I did not tell the Reception about that as simply I did not want to be pushy on my special day.

The lady who checked us in offered to compensate our inconvenience with a massage treatment for 1 person ( which I thanked her) but I had to reject it because that would be unfair for my other 3 friends.

TIPS :
If you're looking for a room with a nice view , stay away from Bouganville 1 & 2 !

Pictures showed online could be really different with reality.

This hotel is not suitable for elderly as you need to pass lots of steep stairs (could be slippery on rainy days) before you can reach lobby and some rooms.

Be prepared to see some insects in the bathroom as it is semi open air with plantation inside and due its location in the mid of forests (pretty common in Ubud hotels )

We had a chance to go up and see some other rooms and organic garden, indeed they have some nice rooms with jungle view. If you want to stay here, you better call them in advance and ensure you won't get the wall view.

If you are sensitive with noises, this hotel might not for you unless you have room on the upper hill (not sure about the room type), but you will definitely hear it if you are in the pool chairs and restaurants during breakfast.

Live Rindik instrument played was wonderful but breakfast experience could've been better if they are willing to pay some attention to the little things which matters like condiments, drinking water, some pass around like fruits or introduced some local "japan pasar" to their guests.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2017

Aside from the mystical lush jungle location, one of the first things I took note of at Alam Sari was the warm greeting from virtually every member of their staff. Such a genuine and authentic welcoming party is hard not to appreciate. Beautiful authentic smiles right away made me feel right at home from the second I arrived.

Set on the side of a sloping jungle hill, the venue boasts beautiful picturesque views and has a genuine feel of traditional Bali, absent any fancy overdone features, or shiny bells and whistles. The simplicity of the space, combined with the luxury you would expect from many other Bali venues makes for the perfect combination of features, clearly an environment designed to inspire a state of relaxation and tranquility.

The master suite was straight out of a fairy tale! Large room with plenty of space, a beautiful over sized bathroom and a huge lounge, with multiple areas for cozy relaxation, private meals, and lots of room for single or group yoga with the ultimate jungle landscape as a backdrop to set for an enchanting getaway. Even equipped with a full kitchen and movie lounge space!

Even considering all of the above, what I appreciated most about this stay was having a chance to sit down with Aprile, the visionary behind this majestic jungle oasis. Behind this beautiful creation lies a very inspired vision to support the cultural sustainability of Bali. Tourists first began coming here with a primary purpose of experiencing the deep cultural energetic side of the island and its people. Over time and with the advent of over populated areas with huge hotels and little care or concern for the long term effects tourism has on the island, that vision has become a bit blurry.

It seems Alam Sari represents so much more than just a nice holiday getaway destination. It stands as a beacon for cultural preservation and active community enrichment and participation. Bali Tourism has much to learn from this values driven approach to business designed to support people over profit. Hats off to Alam Sari and their team for helping to pioneer such a noble vision and initiative. Definitely something to see and experience while on the island!

P.S. they make the best home made croissants I have EVER eaten in my life! :)

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights. The surrounding natural beauty is breathtaking and the resort is rustic. I would recommend staying for the home made breakfast, using locally sourced ingredients...absolutely delicious. The resort is small and offers a shuttle service to Ubud three times a day. They can arrange a taxi for you and the staff are extremely helpful.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

This stay was a wonderful 10 day experience with a group of friends here for yoga, relaxation, sightseeing and a taste of Bali. The Alam Sari did not disappoint on all accounts! The staff were impeccable and so friendly, the meals amazing from their own organic garden, the coconut ice cream a definite highlight. Lovely rooms and facilities including a pool, plunge pool, meditation room and yoga space and on site spa. A definite must is a local village tour with the village cooking class, such an amazing experience! The Alam Sari is very central to all the places you'd like to explore in Bali and very close to the hustle and excitement that is Ubud! The staff here could not do enough to ensure our stay was all that we wanted. I highly recommend the Alam Sari!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karen R
Paul C, Owner at Alam Sari, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Thank you for recommending Alam Sari as a beautiful yoga retreat, and we're delighted you had such a positive experience, Karen. We know how much investment of time, thought and financial resources people make when deciding to join a retreat, so our goal is to provide that possibly "once in a lifetime experience" that will make the stay at Alam Sari very memorable. Our Balinese staff love to provide guests with a unique insight into their lives and local customs, especially as our resort is so closely connected to the local villages. We offer a window into Bali and its people, as you have experienced.

Aprile Denise

Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

I stayed around Alam Sari for 10 days on a yoga retreat and I am have many good things to say!

The staff were all so lovely and happy to help us! I always left my room in a big mess and would come home to all my things arranged neatly and organised very nicely

The food is yummy! They have tempura veggies, nasi goreng, spinach pasta and lots more! The coconut ice cream they use for dessert is addictive! And the coconut porridge is delicious. Everything tastes very fresh and they have many healthy options using things from the garden.

The cooking class offered is an amazing experience, it was one of the highlights of my trip. You get to see the local village and learn about the culture and spiritual practices and also learn to make delicious food and eat it too! The village tour is also a nice way to explore and learn more, Putu allowed us to go where we want and also waited a very long time for us to stop for shopping, and was still smiling : ) the art school is beautiful

The facilities are nice, there is a pool, as well as a smaller plunge type pool near the ganesha villa that used to be the spa/jacuzzi but no longer works. There is also a meditation room which has yoga mats and props! The spa is small but also nice :)

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joelene R
Paul C, Owner at Alam Sari, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Thank you for sharing your highlights at Alam Sari, Joelene. We've given a lot of attention to our menus recently, so its wonderful to hear that the food was so enjoyed. We wanted to make the food healthy and yummy, and to use our local produce fresh from the garden, as much as possible. Guests often share recipes with us too, like the chai tea that we're adding to our menu as a result of the yoga retreat. Its also uplifting to know that you have been "touched" by the lives of the Balinese during your short stay, through the village walk, art school, cooking course, as well as meeting our Balinese staff daily during your stay.We hope you will return to this second home in Bali!

Aprile Denise