Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Great civilian perspective on the battle

If you're looking for an experience beyond which regiment was positioned where on the battlefield... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
955SMJ
Indiana, Pennsylvania
Suprisingly Interesting

I wasn't sure this place would interest me, BUT ..... It was a great stop. The ladies who operated... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
cfields286
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Gettysburg
from US$8.95
More Info
from US$35.00
More Info
All reviews shriver family civilian experience civil war tour guide great tour point of view family life tillie pierce different perspective period costume bullet holes minute tour gift shop step back in time their lives gettysburg experience jennie wade house
Reviewed 11 September 2018 via mobile

The Shriver house tour was great. The tour was amazing, who would have thought that the civilians would have suffered that much. They are a must go to when looking at finding things to do when you are there.

Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

This was such a fun and educating experience. Our guide was wonderful. He really played the part and knew a lot of history about the house as well as the Shriver’s. The artifact case of items from the time period belonging to those in the house or in Gettysburg is fascinating as well. My fiancé and I did this tour with his parents and I would say all of us are equally interested in history but not history buffs by any means, but this was really enjoyable for all!

Date of experience: September 2018
Del G, Owner at Shriver House Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2018

Thank you for your recent visit to The Shriver House Museum. We value feedback from our visitors to help guide our museum experience. We are so glad you had an enjoyable experience! Our staff is very knowledgeable and loves sharing their passion with our guests. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 4 September 2018

I absolutely loved this tour. The tour guide was very informative in explaining the impact the civilians and the Shrivers endured before and after the war. He explained how the soldiers took over the house and used the basement for medical purposes and the attic for the sharp shooters. He really put into perspective the impact the war had after the 3 day fighting. I never thought of the aftermath it left behind with the stench of death and no running water to clean up for months. It was a sad outcome for this family with the husband dying in the war and the two daughters dying in their twenties of the diseases from the nonsterile environment they had to live in. The pub never opened because back in those times, women were not allowed to own or run a business. Take the time to visit.

Date of experience: June 2018

This is really a fantastic review, it hits all the points of the museum that we like to highlight to our potential guests, so thank you so much for writing it! Mr. Chris is very knowledgeable and loves sharing his passion with our guests. Thank you so much for visiting the Shriver House.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

The Shriver house is very interesting. The docent told us about the Shriver family and the town during the battle and afterward. The battle was 3 days but the impact on the town and everyone that lived in Gettysburg lasted much longer. Knowing the details of what this family and the whole endured helps put things into perspective and balance the tendency people have to romanticize the war.

Date of experience: September 2018

Thank you so much for your 5 star review. For over 22 years, our mission at the Shriver House is to offer a different perspective to the Battle of Gettysburg - "The Civilian Experience" and it's aftermath.

Reviewed 1 September 2018

Very interesting and informative tour. Our tour guide was dressed in period clothing. The tour tells the sad tale of the Shriver Family left behind to fend for themselves in Gettysburg. I loved it. I am much more interested in the human experience than the machinations of the actual battle (although I know many people who are interested in both).

I think it added to the experience that we visited in early August. It was extremely hot and humid. The battle took place in July and one got a sense of just how hot and uncomfortable it really was for everyone involved. The upper part of the house is not air conditioned and I was amazed at the heavy attire even the men wore back in the day (as was evidenced by our tour guide dressed in period clothing who did not give any indication that the extreme heat was a bother). I was dying and I was in a tiny tank top and shorts! Ha.

There are also displays of civilian items from the Civil War and a little gift shop that sells a variety of unique items.

Well worth it and I would do it again.

Date of experience: August 2018

Thank you so much for this great review. Our mission has always been to present a completely different perspective of the Battle of Gettysburg. "The Civilian Experience" and it's aftermath. We are happy that you enjoyed your time in the museum and that you learned a thing or two along the way. We are glad you chose to visit the Shriver House. We hope to see you again!