“A most memorable dining experience”
Review of Blue Hill

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Greenwich Village
Cross street: 6th Avenue and MacDougal
Transit: A,C,E,B,D,F,V at West 4th Street Stop.
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Blue Hill exceeded our high expectations on our first visit to celebrate our 25th anniversary with our two adult children. From the personalized welcome to the attentive staff, the restaurant creates the right ambience to fully focus on and enjoy it's amazing food. Two of us had the six course farm feast and two had the four course menu. We shared every plate and were so pleased by the fresh flavors, creative combinations, and delicious preparations. We've had outstanding meals in Paris, Florence, Arles, Madrid, Valencia, Barcelona, Lima, Buenos Aires, Washington, San Francisco. Blue Hill exceeds those meals and is fully deserving of all its accolades. Don't miss the opportunity if you get the chance--you will be so happy you made it to this table.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

Maybe it started when the hostess escorted us to the "Garden Room" aka Siberia. But, okay, after we asked to be seated in the main room, we were, although not at our desired corner table. We were told those tables were specially requested, but we could be placed in their computer system for the coveted corner table when we return one day.

Last time we were here we had a choice of entrees and appetizers. Since then they instituted only tasting menus. We ordered the smaller of the two tasting menus which consisted of three courses and a dessert. All okay.

Small amuses came including a miniature vegetable taste, an small taste of artichoke, the sweet potato course, some great bread and butter and Jerusalem artichokes. All very good. (see photos)

Then after a wait - the main course -which was for me, the lamb. Well, actually not LAMB per sey. It consisted of two tiny pieces of what looked like lamb but were actually grisly lamb fat 2x4 squares with a tablespoon of tiny carrot pieces. (see photo) Needless to say, very disappointing.

After that the meal continued with a palette clearer that came just after coffee was served. Not sure why they did not wait on the coffee until after the palette clearer.... then a delicious dab of dessert that was, for me, the best part of the meal.

A "glass" of wine was the lowest pour I have ever seen in all of my years dining out.

Ultimately, our re-visit to Blue Hill, was a disappointment. As we live just two blocks away, I am sad to say that this over-rated restaurant will not be a return for us. To say that I expected more from a restaurant with such a stellar reputation is an understatement, I think some one was asleep or absent from the kitchen that night. There are too many excellent, reliable and consistent restaurants in the city and even just in the Village that we will not miss this place.

Reviewed 29 April 2018

Came here for a birthday celebration. Excellent, inventive menu, fabulous service, great ambience. We both did the "Farmer's Feast" menu, and the bottle of Nerello Mascalese was excellent (recommended by the sommelier). Highly recommended!

Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

At the Blue Hill all the servers know exactly where all the ingredients have been sourced from. The two assigned to our table were like Holmes and Watson picking on tiny clues and work all the way back to tell you about the un-criminal act. So, with the trumpet mushroom ravioli for instance, their darker hue was pointed out as evidence of the fact that these were no ordinary egg and durum wheat pasta. Instead, it was the trumpet mushrooms themselves, desiccated and ground, that were the base from which these ravioli were made. The result is a pretty startling resonance of the taste of the core ingredient which is in the raviolo, its filling, its sauce and its condiment.

The ambience at Blue Hill is serene. The lights are as muted as the sounds and the voices. It is carpeted. It is not hip but it is housed in one of the remaining speakeasies in the city. These were enclaves frequented by drinkers during the Prohibition in the twenties. And, you know what? In a time when it seems so rare and unavailable to eat the pure, the organic, the gmo-free, the pesticide-free and the anti-biotic free, it felt just right to go to a place once frequented by those that sought what was prohibited in their time.

You do not just eat venison at Blue Hill. You eat the flesh of an animal that lived free and ate naturally. It was one of less than a dozen slaughtered annually. It was not treated in any way but brought from the place it fell to the kitchen that prepared it.

For those, like me, that feel the global appetite for meat is destroying the environment and subjecting animals to cruelty on an industrial scale, this is an acceptable manner of occasionally consuming a food we enjoy.

This restaurant has a sister establishment, a farm in Westchester which is around an hour out of town. Many of the vegetables served here came from the farm and it is good for city dwellers to be able to eat an egg or a carrot like their ancestors used to.

1  Thank gsapiano
Reviewed 12 April 2018

My husband and I came to New York from Toronto for a few days to celebrate my 40th birthday.
Blue Hill was my birthday dinner.
And it did not disappoint.
It was one of the best meals that I have had in a very long time.
The service was great, and not to in your face.
Cocktails were unique and tasty.
The wine list was great.
The food was delicious and flavorful.
I would have to say my only issue would be that one of my courses came out on a chipped plate.
I have no words how great the bread was.
I would come back to NYC just to eat here.