All reviews rooftop bar avocado toast platform bed design aesthetic coffee spot trendy style lobby coffee shop desk table hotel vibe dream team the empire state building soft towels cool decor every morning coffee and pastries exploring manhattan small space
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Very nice hotel in New York with a really cool decoration.
People were really nice to us especially Michelle during the breakfast every morning!
I recommend it even if the room was a little bit too small without any closet...

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

Just back home after 5 incredible nights at Made. We got married in NYC, Stephen and the team made us feel like old friends and absolutely looked after us!

First impression was perfect. We checked in, Stephen introduced himself and his team, congratulated us and had arranged a bottle of Champagne to await us in our room. Every time we went by the desk someone went out of their way to ask about the wedding, or the bachelor/bachelorette party, or something else - really nice touches.

Then, we got upgraded for our final two nights to the penthouse. The flippin' Penthouse! Bear in mind we were in the smallest room (which is lovely and excellently designed by the way) - point in making is that it's not like we were big spenders here! Just out of the blue Stephen arranged this, and it was the biggest room we've ever stayed in - with incredible views of the skyline. And a massive TV.

These guys went so far above and beyond throughout our trip - the treatment made our wedding experience even more memorable (bear in mind we actually didn't even stay there for our wedding night, we'd booked elsewhere closer to our parents and the wedding venue).

Putting aside the service, the hotel facilities are excellent - the rooms are excellently designed, comfy beds, great rooftop bar and lobby coffee bar area. Great location, midtown close to subway, short walk to flatiron and loads of other things.

Will definitely return next time in NYC, and shout from the rooftop for everyone else to do so as well.

Thanks for everything!

Rach and Scott

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank rachelb0802
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Would I stay here again? Probably not. I’ve stayed in NYC 3 times now and this is the most I’ve paid and least I’ve enjoyed.

The room and facilities -
I expected minimalist rooms but also functional. Three coat hangers and what’s left of a couple of small bed draws on the floor after the safe and hotel hair dryer have been stored is all you get. We asked for more hangers and were given three more. A drop down desk/ table is what I ended up utilising for my folded items and stacked them. I hung multiples per hanger but unfortunately we’ve mainly had to live out of our suitcases on the floor which isn’t what you’d expect in a 4 star hotel and definitely not ideal in a place like NYC where space is at a premium so none of the rooms are understandably overly generous on floor space.

There are no drinks making facilities in your room which you’d expect In even a 3 or 5 star hotel. We assumed they’d prefer all guests to shower, dress and go down to the lobby each morning to buy coffee at the paper coffee shop however we did request verbally with house keeping, by voicemail with housekeeping and verbally through the front desk a kettle and cups to allow us to make a drink of tea in a morning. The kettle came promptly the same day but we never received any cups so pretty useless to us really. We’ve found a nice gourmet deli, Sun Sweet Deli around the corner on 5th to get a good brew in a morning and also breakfasted there. Great food choice but quite miserable staff as described on other reviews.

We came away to celebrate my partners 40th birthday for a break without our 19 month old son but unfortunately 2 of our 5 mornings at the hotel have been broken around 6-7am by alarms going off on our floor or throughout the hotel rooms. The first unexplained and prolonged as the source took some time to locate and shut off but was apologised for. The second was dealt with swiftly as apparently a drunken guest had pulled the fire alarm, but as it had been broadcast through speakers in all the rooms. At least one of these disturbances was not controllable by staff but gives you an idea of the type of clientele it obviously must attracts. 40% of my stay I haven’t been able to sleep in while not having my son to look after which has been a great disappointment to me and when Ive actually decided to write this review during our last morning before a long flight this evening.

The climate control in the rooms has been strong enough to cope with the heat during our stay, which was good when you were able to control it. However in the middle of the night it seemed to automatically switch to a preset default hotter mode and then return to quite a cool setting in the morning which again didn’t aid the best nights sleep.

The room luckily have a number of powerpoints which has been very useful as they don’t cater well for international visitors in that respect as the spacing between each double sockets does not allow for the use of adapters so only one socket of every two has been useable for us.

The Staff and the positives -
On the positive front the hotel was clean and mattress comfortable. (When you didn’t trip over or hit your shins on the designer wooden edging / stepping surrounding it.) The front of house staff could not of been more friendly and helpful even sending us up a bottle of Prosecco with a card on our first evening. A very nice thought but unfortunately me being obviously pregnant prevented us from fully enjoying it and most has been wasted. Our check in was friendly, swift, concise and informative and they’ve also assisted in calling to confirm our Pre booked car to take us to the airport which I’d been unable to contact. We visited the rooftop bar on our arrival which offers a great view of the Empire State but unfortunately staff there were not very attentive so we haven’t returned. It also appears to be used for private parties so I’m unsure how much access residential guests have during these times.

House keeping have serviced our room well daily which has been nice but expected, the bathroom facilities adequate although the basin and shower all leaked or sprayed when used onto the floor or walls so use of a floor mat is essential. The elevators always worked which was helpful when on the 7th floor, the TV worked, WIFI has been very good and reliable and the location of the hotel can not be faulted as quite central for general purposes.

Summary -
On the hole we’ve managed but at an average of nearly $250 a night room only with a 4 star rating the room wasn’t functional and it felt a lot more like Glamping than what we expected. Perhaps OK for a night here or there but not to stay in for more than that. We have enjoyed our stay in New York but better and functional facilities and more sleep would have made it much more enjoyable which are basics I don’t think are too much to expect from a hotel.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank DMTBLD
Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Made hotel is unpretentious, casual and incredibly warm, inviting, comfortable and overall scrumptious. It’s minimal and clean as well as super high quality of furnishings and finishes. If aesthetics and the feeling of a space are important to you- this is the place to stay. (Only negative is the higher level rooms have residual noise from the roof bar)

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2018

I recently stayed at the MADE Hotel from May 31st to June 3rd to celebrate my friend's bachelorette party weekend. The hotel is in a centralized prime location, only a short walking distance or Uber ride away from many popular areas in NYC like Eataly, the Flat Iron Building and near Jay-Z's 40/40 Club. The hotel has an amazing rooftop bar with a beautiful view of the Empire State Building (great for photos). I also really liked the general vibe of the hotel, it is trendy and fun but without being pretentious. The rooms are a little small so if you book a room with a double bed I suggest that no more than 2-3 people stay in the room. The very best part of the hotel was the staff. Everyone was extremely welcoming! I would like to give a special thanks to Steven Gard, the assistant front office manager. Steven was wonderful and very professional. He took care of all of our needs and was very attentive and hospitable. Thank you Steven! We had a trip of a lifetime and made so many great memories that we will NEVER forget, thank you for making our stay amazing from beginning to end!

Room tip: Rooms are small. Even though double bed rooms fit 4 people, I recommend no more than 2-3 people stay in a room with a double bed.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends