PUBLIC
The Bryant Park Hotel(New York City)
US$295
US$265
  • Restaurant
Hotel 50 Bowery NYC(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$299
US$254
Agoda.com
  • Bar/Lounge
US$246
US$356
US$332
  • Breakfast included
The Broome(New York City)
US$339
Agoda.com
US$820
Expedia
  • Room Service
Crosby Street Hotel(New York City)
US$695
  • Restaurant
All reviewsian schragerrooftop barjean georgeslower east sidenew yorkdesigned roomswhole foodsthe ground floorblackout shadesgrab and gocommon areas arecool vibehotel gueststrendy hotelhotel experiencequeen roomhotel is beautiful
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed four nights in April 2018, and are impressed with how well thoughtabout everything is. Design is not just what meets the eye, but also how stuff just work. Yes, everything looks nice but you also need the wifi to work everywhere all the time, connect your Netflix to the TV without a degree in electronics, welcoming staff that answer all you questions with a smile, nice smelling, clean towels, natural lighting and good food and drinks. They got you covered. They try hard, but you wont notice, it all feels natural.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had a fun stay at Public on a work trip to NYC. The rooms are brilliantly designed, but very, very small, especially for two people with luggage on a work trip. The convenience of the all day cafe, multiple bars, tables with USB and chargers, strong wi-fi and good restaurants. I truly enjoyed doing email/spreadsheet work in the lobby. The energy and light are great. Cristina was just a darling greeter. The only major downside was that our room did not get cleaned on the first day after 3 times calling down and being told there was some one coming up and then the next day it took about six hours to get it cleaned, while we inconveniently stayed out of the room. The room controls were very easy to use. The walls are very thin, but silicon ear plugs did the trick for sleeping. But, beware, you can hear entire conversations through the connecting room doors. it is super conveniently located on the same block as Whole Foods too and the roof tap car was a ton of fun. Over all, I would stay there again as it it has great energy, is clean, and convenient for most of my work.

Room Tip: If you are two people upgrade to a larger room type and be sure to bring your own hangers. They only have three per room.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank HeatherWineCountry
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed at Public for one night this week.

Upon arrival around 7pm the hotel lobby was buzzing with the Lower East Side hipsters. It made for a fun atmosphere.

Room - I waked into a completely dark room. The door shot closed behind me leaving me standing in the dark trying to figure out where the lights are. Very uncomfortable. Completely underwhelmed with the room. I felt like I was sleeping in one of those model rooms at Ikea. Very cold and bleek.
Bathroom didn’t have a sink in it. This annoyed me the most. Instead, the sink was outside the bathroom. Annoying.

I liked the full size bath products however, no bath robes. Like that they have steamers in rooms. This is a major plus.
Bed was very comfortable but overnight I could hear the shower going in the next room.

The most annoying thing - once you order room service, you have to go downstairs to the restaurant to pick it up! Why, oh why would you do that??!!

I had no human interaction with anyone at this hotel . Very strange. The whole thing feels like a little bit nicer hostel with limited service. Definitely not worth the $450/night.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Wanted to host my birthday celebration at a cool hotel in NYC. I contacted Suzi Deangelis the hotels Director of Sales & Marketing. She was amazing and helped me book 8 rooms, set up pre-dinner drinks and after dinner drinks on the roof. The rooms, the service and the staff were all first class. Thank you Suzi for taking care of all the arrangements and a flawless evening.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Dan D, General Manager at PUBLIC, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Paul, happy birthday again and thank you so much for joining us with your friends! We're thrilled you had such a great celebration and thank you for your review and recognition of Suzi. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Dan Daley
Managing Director
DDaley@publichotels.com

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I stayed here for 5 nights.
Check-in - room and entire floor had bad smell - at first, I'm told that the hotel is full and they cannot move me to another room. 5 minutes later, after trying to cancel my stay, a miracle - they had another room.
No city view in the sense that comes to mind when Ur thinking about NYC skyline, u cannot really get a good view of the city here.
Shower/toilet door is a sliding glass door that does not close all the way so if Ur sharing the room -beware.
Stained bed sheets one of the days...
The hotel is dark and has a bad Abercrombie & Fitch feel to it - which I'm not really into. Some staff members were kind and helpful, others seem to have forgotten that they serve the customer and not the other way around. The safe gets warm and will fry your laptop and valuables.
Internet was fast and stable. Curtains block light entirely and that was great for sleep quality. Water pressure can also be improved.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael S
Dan D, General Manager at PUBLIC, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Michael, on behalf of the hotel, I want to extend my sincerest apologies for your less than stellar experience at PUBLIC. We're glad to see that there were some good points throughout your stay, but we regret that we didn't give you a 5-star stay this time around. We do have several room types with varying views of the city skyline; I think you'd be very happy with the view from our Queen Great Views, which do have a beautiful view of One World Trade Center. Please feel free to contact me to discuss your time with us further; I hope to connect with you soon and invite you back as my personal guest and change your mind about the hotel.
Dan Daley