“Awful Gefilte Fish”
Review of Russ & Daughters

Russ & Daughters
Ranked #158 of 13,394 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Neighbourhood: Downtown Manhattan (Downtown)
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Ordered some appetizers for Passover. Some were good, such as the horseradish. But the gefilte fish was a group thumb's down with comments such as "worst ever" and disgusting. It has a weird consistency -- like gelatin versus flakey. As bad as the stuff in the jar is, you would be much better off with that than this stuff. Or get it from Meal Mart.

1  Thank dkunis12
Write a reviewReviews (1,150)

Reviewed 25 March 2021

I received $300 of food yesterday Through Goldbelly. The creme fraiche had expired 3/17/2021. The lakes are watery and tasteless. The bully's are average at best. I can't report how the rest of the order is because I haven't got to it yet. I will never order from them again.

1  Thank suznmf
Reviewed 12 March 2021

This review if for the store.

We have been going to this wonderful establishment for at least 30 years, the quality never varies. This was our first time since the virus hit and the only thing that has changed is that there is a three person limit in the store at one time.

My personal favorite is the Western Nova it is light, delicate, pure flavor, not a hint of grease. This is not cheap at 50 bucks a pound but it is worth every penny. This time I tried the New Zealand King Salmon and it is as good as the Western Nova but in a different way, its texture is finer and the smoky overtones are a bit stronger. So from now on I will be ordering at least half-a-pound of each they are equally good. Don't forget the cream cheese with scallions!

After you have some of their Western Nova (or any of their others they are all superb) you will realize that what you have been eating as 'lox' was a pale imitation of this, the essence of lox. As their sign says "In Lox Veritas".

They have an extensive selction of other items, to be sure, but the lox is why I go here. If you are living some distance away may I suggest that you take a cooler, buy what you want, and take it home with you. Enjoy!

1  Thank BaysideConnecticut
Reviewed 30 January 2021

I ordered through Goldbelly for my husband’s birthday and everything arrived perfectly packaged on time and fresh.
Everything has been delicious and it has been like a trip to NYC during COVID.
Thanks Russ and Daughters.

Date of visit: January 2021
1  Thank Experience469899
Reviewed 20 January 2021

DO NOT ORDER RUSS AND DAUGHTERS THRU GOLDBELLY!!!!!
We received stale bagels and challah bread.
Smoked Salmon was oily and smelled like rancid fish.
We threw everything bout.
Customer service at Goldbelly told me that there was nothing that they were willing to do about it.
I WILL NEVER USE GOLDBELLY AGAIN!!!!

Date of visit: January 2021