“Disappointing”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$159.00*
and up
New York City Shop, Hop and Top Experience...
Ranked #731 of 1,208 things to do in New York City
Reviewed 20 January 2017 via mobile

We were disappointed by this market, it is quite small and has a very limited range of things for sale. There were some authentic-looking west African masks for sale, some fake 'designer' handbags and the rest was basically African jewellery and dresses.

There was no food available, most of the store owners were not out (they were behind a plastic cubicle which was behind their sale items) and the whole place had a grotty feel to it.

If I had my time over I would not bother travelling all the way to Harlem to see this.

1  Thank LeahSydney01

Reviewed 3 October 2016 via mobile

I'm so glad I went. I love Malcolm X and what he represented, so I am ecstatic to see they preserved this place beautifully. To look at the spot where this beautiful buffalo soldier fell, it's heartbreaking. But we should remember. We can never forget, because they won't teach it. It's free, but please donate!

Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

This is a nice little African marketplace up in Harlem. I have taken visiting tour groups here for years. Most of the them find it very exotic and interesting. The products they sell look hand crafted and seems to be of West African origin. If you like African jewlery, clothes and art products this is the place for you.

Reviewed 10 May 2016

My wife and I went shopping at the Malcolm Shabazz Harlem Market in NYC. There a several rows of African art, clothes and miscellaneous items. The prices are very affordable and you can bargain with the various merchants.

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 December 2015

The Harlem Market was such a delight and welcoming venture especially because my husband is from West Africa. It was like a little bit of Africa in New York. I'm an earring fanatic and I purchased 6 pairs from the market. The vendors carry a variety of items such as jewelry, attire, bags, etc with most items made by hand. Most vendors are willing to negotiate. The market is pretty clean and orderly. There are located in Harlem near the 2 & 3 train. They are located in the vicinity of many restaurants and shopping.

1  Thank Sky G