“Had to go ”

Malcolm Shabazz Harlem Market
Ranked #616 of 1,137 things to do in New York City
Reviewed 3 October 2016 via mobile

I'm so glad I went. I love Malcolm X and what he represented, so I am ecstatic to see they preserved this place beautifully. To look at the spot where this beautiful buffalo soldier fell, it's heartbreaking. But we should remember. We can never forget, because they won't teach it. It's free, but please donate!

Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

This is a nice little African marketplace up in Harlem. I have taken visiting tour groups here for years. Most of the them find it very exotic and interesting. The products they sell look hand crafted and seems to be of West African origin. If you like African jewlery, clothes and art products this is the place for you.

Reviewed 10 May 2016

My wife and I went shopping at the Malcolm Shabazz Harlem Market in NYC. There a several rows of African art, clothes and miscellaneous items. The prices are very affordable and you can bargain with the various merchants.

Reviewed 28 December 2015

The Harlem Market was such a delight and welcoming venture especially because my husband is from West Africa. It was like a little bit of Africa in New York. I'm an earring fanatic and I purchased 6 pairs from the market. The vendors carry a variety of items such as jewelry, attire, bags, etc with most items made by hand. Most vendors are willing to negotiate. The market is pretty clean and orderly. There are located in Harlem near the 2 & 3 train. They are located in the vicinity of many restaurants and shopping.

1  Thank Sky G
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 December 2015

I have visited this market a number of times and it is always an interesting experience. The items are authentic African pieces and while you have to often negotiate your price, you will walk away with some pretty nice pieces. During a recent visit to Harlem, I purchased a skirt, jewelry, and of course some black soap. One cannot hit up an African market without not purchasing black soap.

This time, what impressed me the most and what I did not remember from previous visits, is that they have tailors on the premises who make several different items. Skirts, pocketbooks, wallets, and dresses, are just a few items. There were individuals making jewelry, hair and skin products, as well as number of other items for sale.

If you want to shop and want to do and get something different, this place is the place for you!