“excellent ambiance and service”
Review of blu

blu
Reserve with OpenTable
blu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #495 of 3,273 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$40 - US$60
Cuisines: American, Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, View
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Tremont & Washington
Transit: T: Green line to Boylston Street; Orange line to Chinatown; Red line to Park Street
Reviewed 15 November 2011

a friend invited me to try out Blu Restaurant on Avery Street, Boston, MA it took us a minute to find it as it's upstairs in a hotel. We didn't have a reservation but managed to be sitted in a beautifully "blu" lighted room overlooking Washington Street and the Opera House at night, all lit up. Nightime was truly a good choice as it added to the overall mood of the restaurant with the "blu" lightening. Our server was wonderful, the food was delicious and the portions (for me) was just right. We shared a decadent Belgium chocolate mousse dessert that melted in our mouths. Just a tad bit pricey but overall a wonderful dining experience.

1  Thank Weddings008

Reviewed 26 October 2011

My friend was not feeling well so we ordered through Dining In our meal and had delivered to our hotel. We had steak and a cheeseburger both were delicious. Was pricey.

Reviewed 17 November 2010

This was a great find, I have heard of this location because of it's view of Bostons Theater District. We orginally had a reservation at another restaurant but had to cancel due to typical Boston Traffic. We called up and got a table the parking was great vallet service at the ritz carlton and it's five dollars for the first three hours with a vaildation from BLU...They pushed for our food to come out a bit quicker than usual due to the fact we had a broadway show to catch at 8pm on a friday night. The food was great and the bread is amazing I ordered 3 baskets of it. Filet Migon was typical nice and juicy, the oysters were very good as well. I loved it good place to get a drink after a night out.

1  Thank Keywest24
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Despite some of the negative reviews here my friend wanted to check out this restaurant so we went there for dinner. I was pleasantly surprised. While it's true that you have to walk through a cafeteria to get there it's a very short walk and once you get into the actual restaurant, it is very nice. I liked the blue theme with the lights and chairs. There is a view of some of the downtown buildings including the Hyatt. I ordered the chicken and it was excellent. Portions are normal sized and not large. My friend got the duck and said that it was excellent and very flavorful. The number of people in the restaurant was also quite few so it was not too noisy and created a nice upscale atmosphere. The bar area seemed nice too. The only drawback was that they did not refill the bread after we had eaten it, but otherwise the staff was courteous and attentive and the food came quickly. We did not spend much time waiting for them to take the check either.

1  Thank mar32
Reviewed 27 October 2009

Tonight I decided to give blu one more shot. I work out at the gym so I'm there frequently. I noticed the menu had been updated recently so I was excited to see if they could turn my semi-frown upside down - - but NO the execution of the dishes was beyond terrible. My boyfriend ordered a medium burger, they charred the crap out of the poor angus beef, even the bun was burned. I ordered the seared tuna salad, which came out as 2 cups of mixed greens and 1 ounce of thinly sliced tuna. It was appetizer so fine but they should market that on the menu. Then I was still hungry because i had just burned a million calories at the gym so I ordered the flatbread. BIG mistake! Pear, balsamic, blue cheese and onions sound tasty but they drowned it in balsamic and sent it out, the food runner beaming with pride. Our waiter was clueless too. I pointed out that there was broken glass on the floor. An hour later the broken glass is still surrounding the table and I was still hungry. The biggest insult was the check. $7 for a cup of tea. It's not like they put booze in it; the waiter didn't even know if they served tea.
Meanwhile I noticed the GM chatting it up w/ his buddies, completely unaware that he was in fact suppose to be responsible for this joint. We only eat here because we are members at the gym but we're not going back.

Been to blu? Share your experiences!