“Ah-mazing Italian food at the Harbor”

Strega Italiano Seaport
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Seaport District / South Boston Waterfront
Cross street: Northern Ave
Description: Located at Fan Pier in Boston’s beautiful Seaport District, Strega Italiano Seaport is certainly Boston’s foremost dining destination with breathtaking oceanfront views, dazzling interiors and a new twist on its famous Italian cuisine.
Reviewed 20 March 2022

I came across Strega Italiano by accident. Before my trip to Boston, I hit up YouTube to find a new, happening spot. I found a video with Sal Valentinetti, The singer from Long Island. He's in Boston making a video with the owner from Strega. The owner Nick Varano seems legit, I check how far I have to walk from my hotel to the North End and I see Strega Italiano Seaport is just a few blocks away! I made a reservation for my first night in Boston.

Walking in, this is not a typical North End restaurant. The restaurant is on the waterfront and tastefully decorated. The front desk asked if I wanted to sit by the bar, which looked very nice but I'm going to need some room so I asked for a two top.

I knew to bring a raincoat, it was starting to rain when I was walking to the restaurant. Now, my entire menu plan pivoted. I need something warm to start, I would have asked for a bowl of pastina but I'm not at nonna's house. I started with a nice hot bowl of Italian Wedding Soup. As a kid, this was my favorite soup. I would grate so much cheese, you couldn't see the soup! The Strega Italian Wedding Soup is nothing like I ever had, it was clearly prepared by a chef. The vegetables are cut by a chef, the rich broth is cheff'd up, just a perfect starter for this cold Italian guy.

My cocktail is totally on point. I started with a cocktail, the Barrel Aged Negroni. Made with French Citadelle gin and campari cinzano, Cin Cin!

Now, the gloves are off. I want to taste the best Strega has to offer. I ordered my favorite pasta, Rigatoni Bolognese. Made with a low braised beef and pork ragù, It was served to me in a hot dish. I also liked the dab of ricotta on top, this was a proper Italian serving. No one is eating a mound of pasta, this was the perfect amount. I loved the rustic taste of the ragù, just a great entree.

My waiter? Totally cool guy. He said he grew up in the area. I threw him a curve ball and asked him about the two Tuscan wines offerings. Not only did he give me the correct response, he explained one wine was barrel aged and the other was made in stainless steel so the wine complexities are going to be different. As a matter of fact, all of the wait staff was all over me. How are you sir? Anything I can get for you?

Everything is Perfecto.

The waiter asked me, would I like dessert? It's raining outside and I'm sure they have a great dessert selection. I'm in Boston for a short time, I gotta get a cannoli and coffee at the north end.

I put on my hood, pay the bill and walk to the North End. Sal Valentinetti would approve.

Date of visit: March 2022
1  Thank BillySalts

Reviewed 20 May 2021

Our party of 4 dined last night with a meal that totally underwhelmed, given the outrageous prices we paid for the food. The server was inattentive and had to be repeatedly asked for things like pepper, spoons, napkins, knives and forks. Better food and service can be had in just about any neighborhood Italian restaurant. Save you money and frustration for better experiences.

Date of visit: May 2021
2  Thank RobertCBoston
Reviewed 26 December 2020

Why bother?

Italian, my grandfather's Irish hind! There is nothing remotely Italian about this restaurant, formerly owned by Nick Varano, now absorbed by an Irish investment firm Danu Partners, which owns the Smith & Wollensky steakhouse - among other things. Another corporate take down- no surprise here in the soulless cavern of the treeless Seaport District. There is literally one Italian Chianti- listed by wines by the glass- no eggplant parm, or eggplant app, and the restaurant is packed with 20 somethings- six to a table when we went there (my gal pal and I). We were so uncomfortable, we left without finishing our wine. $14 a glass and a four inch pour. I miss the Italians. It used to be old school and fun, now it is just pathetic.

Date of visit: December 2020
3  Thank Gloria M
Reviewed 18 September 2020 via mobile

Nice location, but not right on the water like some other Seaport places. Food was very good, and an entree was enough to be full. Service was exceptionally slow. We finally flagged someone down after sitting for about 15 minutes. He apologized profusely and said no one told him we were his table. Had to wait for another glass of wine and then the check. For a place that is about $100 a person to eat, the service should be better. Not sure I would go back.

Date of visit: September 2020
2  Thank island139
Reviewed 30 August 2020 via mobile

Dinner was unremarkable and very disappointing. For the price expected a lot more. Ordered a nice bottle of wine and 15 minutes later was told they didn’t have it. So they substituted a higher priced bottle. Should have honored price of the bottle we ordered. Calamari way to bready and Luke warm. Veal chop was horrible way too thin and fried to death. Ordered Bernaise sauce for steak and they brought Hollidiase sauce. Asked again for bernaise sauce and they come back saying chef doesn’t have ingredients for it. Martini not made well. Not sure if AC was working because it was really hot inside. Will not be going back. Worst $500 meal ever.

Date of visit: August 2020