“Buying Lobster tails for Christmas dinner”

James Hook & Company
Ranked #12 of 3,272 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Located on the waterfront in downtown Boston, James Hook & Co is the go-to place for delicious, high-quality lobster and seafood. We are a third generation family business, and have been selling lobster since 1925. James Hook & Co has earned a reputation for the finest lobster in town, even earning the Best Lobster award from Boston Magazine.
Reviewed 21 March 2015

My youngest son and several family members love lobster tails. There was quite a line of folks buying food. Not being a lobster eater I told them I had $100 to spend on lobster tails. The gentleman very nicely packaged $100 worth of tails in several containers. Very painless. :-)

John M, Owner at James Hook & Company, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2015

I hope that your son told you that you were the best mom after that! Seriously though, it was the least we could do to package those lobster tails up as painlessly as possible. I hope that you and your family enjoyed them!

Hope to see you back soon,

Reviewed 20 March 2015

Great place for a summer lunch! Wonderful lobster roll! Casual to the max. Enjoy the salt air and the location. Nothing fancy--just good food.

1  Thank Beantown981
John M, Owner at James Hook & Company, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2015

You just painted the perfect picture with your descriptions of the salt air and the lobster roll -- I hope that your experience here was just as great! Can't wait to see you back here for more good times and good food.

Reviewed 19 March 2015

James Hook has an amazing variety of fresh seafood. I love to go there when I'm making a diablo or casserole that requires an assortment of seafood. They also have frozen options, take-out and eat in. If you're in the downtown area, it's worth the walk (and the price) to try one of their seafood platters or lobster rolls.

John M, Owner at James Hook & Company, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2015

It's always awesome to hear about the recipes that the seafood goes into -- I'm glad to hear that those diablos and casseroles are turning out great! Our doors are always open for you whenever you want to walk down.

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 19 March 2015

Loved this place. Facility is very small and "quaint". Not much seating, but the food is worth the stop. Service was quick and efficient. The lobster roll... oh my lord! So delicious. Between myself and the rest of my party we tried the lobster roll, lobster bisque, and shrimp and corn chowder and it was all amazing.
If you are visiting from out of town, the double decker tour of Boston stops right in front of this location. I believe there are 15 stops and this is #14 so you can hop off and actually walk about 3 blocks to the final/first stop.

Holy moly, what a great review! It's always wonderful to hear that kind of reaction about our food, especially the lobster rolls. I hope that the rest of your trip to Boston was great as well -- the next time that you come back, I'll be sure to have more rolls, bisque, and chowder stocked and ready to supply for you!

Reviewed 18 March 2015

I love James Hook's lobster roll. It has to be one of the best lobster rolls in Boston, yummy! Their chowder are pretty good too. Don't go expecting great service or atmosphere. It is counter service and small tables crowded into a very small space. However, there are picnics tables outside in season and free parking, yes free parking on the Waterfront in Boston. It is so worth looking up when searching for a seafood restaurant with good value and better food.

1  Thank cathyhutch2016
John M, Owner at James Hook & Company, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2015

Ramius, your point about service is concerning! We want to be taking great care of everyone who stops by our spot. If you've received anything but friendly and efficient service, please reach out to me directly so I can follow up with the appropriate people.

I do want to mention that we're currently in the process of rebuilding from a fire. We had to move to a smaller location for the time being but I can assure you we'll be back in a rommier spot pretty soon.

Thank you, thank you for your nod to our lobster rolls, though. I'm happy to hear you've enjoyed them. Come back and see us anytime!

John M., Owner

Been to James Hook & Company? Share your experiences!