“Holy fresh lobster!!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Located on the waterfront in downtown Boston, James Hook & Co is the go-to place for delicious, high-quality lobster and seafood. We are a third generation family business, and have been selling lobster since 1925. James Hook & Co has earned a reputation for the finest lobster in town, even earning the Best Lobster award from Boston Magazine.
Reviewed 19 March 2015

Loved this place. Facility is very small and "quaint". Not much seating, but the food is worth the stop. Service was quick and efficient. The lobster roll... oh my lord! So delicious. Between myself and the rest of my party we tried the lobster roll, lobster bisque, and shrimp and corn chowder and it was all amazing.
If you are visiting from out of town, the double decker tour of Boston stops right in front of this location. I believe there are 15 stops and this is #14 so you can hop off and actually walk about 3 blocks to the final/first stop.

John M, Owner at James Hook & Company, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2015

Holy moly, what a great review! It's always wonderful to hear that kind of reaction about our food, especially the lobster rolls. I hope that the rest of your trip to Boston was great as well -- the next time that you come back, I'll be sure to have more rolls, bisque, and chowder stocked and ready to supply for you!

Best,
John M., Owner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,548)

Reviewed 18 March 2015

I love James Hook's lobster roll. It has to be one of the best lobster rolls in Boston, yummy! Their chowder are pretty good too. Don't go expecting great service or atmosphere. It is counter service and small tables crowded into a very small space. However, there are picnics tables outside in season and free parking, yes free parking on the Waterfront in Boston. It is so worth looking up when searching for a seafood restaurant with good value and better food.

1  Thank cathyhutch2016
John M, Owner at James Hook & Company, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2015

Ramius, your point about service is concerning! We want to be taking great care of everyone who stops by our spot. If you've received anything but friendly and efficient service, please reach out to me directly so I can follow up with the appropriate people.

I do want to mention that we're currently in the process of rebuilding from a fire. We had to move to a smaller location for the time being but I can assure you we'll be back in a rommier spot pretty soon.

Thank you, thank you for your nod to our lobster rolls, though. I'm happy to hear you've enjoyed them. Come back and see us anytime!

Best,

Reviewed 18 March 2015

We met friends at Hooks for a late afternoon get together. I had heard of the place but had never eaten there. We sat outside, it was the summer time, the weather was great how can you beat that for getting together with friends. The food was--as you would expect from a place so close to the waterfront in down town Boston. Just GREAT!! Depending on how busy it is, the service might be a little slow but--no matter there's plenty to see while you wait. Good, hot, food at reasonable prices and a fun experience to boot.

You're making us miss the sweet, sweet summertime! Thank you for sharing what you thought with us and everyone else, though. Really, knowing that you enjoyed good food in good company at our place is the kind of thing that keeps us going. See you sometime soon? Sure hope so!

Cheers,

Reviewed 17 March 2015

James Hook's lobster role may be the best one I've had anywhere in New England. It is chock full of lobster meat and has only a small amount of mayonnaise. It was a great lunch experience all around.

Gerry, that's a HUGE compliment. Thank you! You bet we're going to go heavy handed on the lobster! Glad you enjoyed. Hope to see you back for lunch sometime down the line!

Take care,

Reviewed 17 March 2015

It's a fish market that serves food. It's not anything fancy, but the food is good and the portions are decent. The staff are very nice. I recommend stopping by for lunch while you are sight seeing.

1  Thank JRiley13

Appreciate the recommendation! While fancy might not be our MO, I hope that it was easy to pick up on the fact that we really love being able to feed people tasty food.

See you next time,