“Wonderful”

Leatherneck Steakhouse & Chesty's Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Leatherneck Steakhouse & Chesty's Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #241 of 6,001 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Union Square
Description: A hidden gem, Leatherneck Steakhouse is located on the 12th floor of the Marines' Memorial Club & Hotel. The restaurant serves dinner Tuesday through Saturday nights with live piano music in a very romantic ambiance with candlelight and a stunning view of downtown San Francisco and Union Square. The food is gourmet contemporary American cuisine with a good offering of steaks and seafood and at least one vegetarian alternative. Sides and desserts are amazing. There is an extensive wine list and a full bar.
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

My wife and I really enjoyed the steakhouse. Great cuts, great service, and a terrific view. I found it a great break from the vegan fare pushed elsewhere around the city. The hotel was really nice, take time to look around the lobby and museum. We will return next time we are in town.

Reviewed 23 March 2018

Brought a guest here by accident, we were getting wet and went in to get out of the rain. Luckily wasn’t busy and we were shown quickly to a table. Service was professional and freindly. We had a window seat but it was night and cloudy so didn’t see much. We started with crab cakes which were fantastic, really well seasoned and tasty.

I had bison steak for main which was succulent, tender and extreme;y well cooked, best steak I’ve had in some time. Mash was also creamy and a little too nice, I suspect we were eating a lot of butter with it but it was definitely a guilty pleasure. Spinach in a cheese sauce was also fine.

Overall a great place to eat if you accept the price, we were at 100USD a head but given its SanFramcisco I would say price was appropriate.

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

My go to steakhouse in San Francisco. Always a great meal, a wonderful view, roomy and comfortable. Unbelievably reasonable for San Francisco.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

We were looking for a great restaurant with a fantastic view. The Leatherneck Steakhouse did not disappoint. I had the 6 oz. filet with the blue cheese butter and it was delicious and tender. My husband had the prime rib and thought it was a little tough, but the flavor was good. We loved the garlic mashed potatoes and really enjoyed the bread pudding for desert. In fact I would say it was the best bread pudding we've ever had. I highly recommend it.

1  Thank MaxMidnight
Reviewed 14 February 2018

The Leatherneck Steakhouse is located in Union Square at 609 Sutter on the 12th floor of the Marine Memorial Club & Hotel. Anyone can dine at the Leatherneck Steakhouse, however to stay at the hotel one has to be active duty, veteran or have reciprocal club privileges from a private club in your hometown.

This was our first time at the Leatherneck Steakhouse. We got a window table and the view was incredible. The crab cakes (two - plural) were large, about the size of your fist versus some that we’ve had that were only the size of silver dollar.

I had the Leatherneck burger with grilled onions and gruyere cheese and fries. My wife had the seared sea scallops which came with a small wedge salad. We also ordered a side of fried Brussel sprouts. Wine corkage fee is $20.

It was a pleasant dining experience in San Francisco. The piano player helped make the night special. Too often we go to the latest trendy restaurant where you have 6” of space between tables and you have to shout to be heard. Walking distance from the Clift Hotel was another plus.