“Must see record store with great selection of unique and classic LP's”
Review of Amoeba Music

Amoeba Music
Ranked #2 of 319 Shopping in San Francisco
Reviewed 31 May 2018

Amoeba is a unique record store that is popular among many local and touring musicians as well as tourists passing through the Bay Area, and for good reason. Amoeba offers an expansive range of LP's, CD's DVD's, books, T-shirts and posters. They have all the classics, as well as some hidden gems and records you may not find anywhere else. If you are a music fan, definitely check it out!

All reviews
"berkeley"
in 3 reviews
"media"

Reviewed 14 May 2018

I've spent literally DECADES prowling record stores all over the United States and in various cities in Europe, Canada and Australia. Amoeba is THE GREATEST! (I like this one better than their Berkeley branch; haven't been to the one in Hollywood) I used to work at St. Mary's Medical Center near here in the mid-2000s and would feel the magnetic pull of Amoeba every time I'd ride my pushbike to and from the hospital. I live on the other side of the planet these days but often think about Amoeba. I kid you not; this joint was one of the reasons I decided to return to San Francisco for a visit when I was in North America. It's THAT good if you're a music tragic like me who wants sounds that you can hold in your hands instead of ephemeral bits and bytes from Spotify or iTunes.

Amoeba is huge, as you'd expect from a joint that used to be a bowling alley, and full of treasures. For me, the best part is pawing through their discount used CD bins in the back. It's totally random what you'll find (aside from the bands being arranged in alphabetical order) but there's always something amazing. On my last visit, I scored a CD by a Swedish garage-punk band (The Caesars) that I saw live at a North Beach club in 2003. The CD cost $1.99! Where else are you going to find something by an obscure group from the other side of the world for next to nothing? Their new CD sections are good, as is the vinyl selection.

Another bonus is Amoeba's emphasis on San Francisco bands. S.F. is a world-class rock 'n roll city, and I've found LPs/CDs by obscurities including the Catheads, FM Knives, you-name-it. To say nothing of their sprawling Grateful Dead section,.(But a true Deadhead will tell you that records by the band are nothing, man, you've gotta have the live shows, like when Jerry played that awesome 27-minute jam on "Dark Star" in yadda-yadda-yadda...) Anyway, if you're a record geek straight outta "High Fidelity" like I am, plan to spend hours here. I mean literally HOURS. It'll be a better high than anything you can get from a legal dispensary or some shady character hanging around the edge of Golden Gate Park.

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

This place reminds me of my youth when we spent hours hunting for new music at record stores. I could spend the whole day there.. definitely recommended!

Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

Amoeba SF is smaller than Amoeba Hollywood down in Los Angeles. Nevertheless, prepare to spend a lot of time and money digging through the shelves and finding great music.