“great cheaper eats in Kihei”

Coconut's Fish Cafe
Ranked #14 of 195 Restaurants in Kihei
Price range: US$9 - US$12
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Welcome to Coconut's Fish Cafe, located in the center of Kihei. Coconut's Fish Cafe serves up Maui's finest food with exciting dishes and unique ambiance. At Coconut's Fish Cafe, every dish is created using only the freshest, finest ingredients. We never use microwaves and everything is cooked to order. We serve only the choicest cuts of seafood. Whether you choose to dine at our one-of-a-kind surfboard tables or take-out, our authentic menu and atmosphere make us a must-stop dining experience.
Reviewed 31 May 2018

We went here twice during a recent Maui trip. I loved the fish tacos - they were so fresh. They got my husband's order wrong - but were great about making it right - and we appreciated that. He loved their coconut shrimp. The overall service was above average and we liked the ambiance.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,659)

Reviewed 29 May 2018

I stay in Kihei. I was so happy when this Kamaole sight of Coconuts opened. I was a regular at their other S.Maui location. When this Kamaole location first opened, the food was super. The portions were great ,service was wonderful and it was clean and airy. The owner checked on the customers and all in all the whole experience was pleasurable.
Now the restaurant has been there for a couple of years and the changes have been slow, but definitely there have been changes. They now offer some alcoholic choices - a plus for those who wanted to enjoy that with their meals.Unfortunately, not all changes have been positive. The food has changed. There used to be more fish in the tacos and it was always tender. Now there seems to be more cole slaw that anything on the tacos. The portion of fish has decreased and some of the staff are less likely to offer you the Aloha experience you may have come to expect.
I have been witness to staff telling people to leave asap once they are done to accommodate seating for those waiting. I haven't even seen this in a fast food restaurant. Rushing your patrons out doesn't make for a relaxing meal. I thought it was a one of until it happened to me. I had the tacos and a beer and during my last sip of ale was asked if I could please move along if I wasn't ordering anything else. They needed the space. I get it, but I just spent $40.00 and was on island time and relaxed. I have since enjoyed many other restaurants that serve amazing fish tacos. Tacos that have a lot more fish and a friendly staff that are ok if I or my guests enjoy and relax while we enjoy our meals.
I will miss it, how it used to be, but I won't miss not being an appreciated customer.

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

We loved this place four years ago and it was the first stop on our Fish Taco Tour, ER, I mean visit to Maui this year. ;) The verdict? Still amazing.

Their fish tacos are wonderful and you can have them gluten and dairy free. Restaurant is *very* clean, service is friendly and fast... we will 'taste test' here many more times.

1  Thank Alberthana
Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

Great fish tacos that have 17 ingredients, but a great combination. The wife and I ate here before she got a tattoo next door.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

Absolutely one of the best fish tacos anywhere. They've got a big menu with a lot of options, but the fish tacos at the Kihei location are all you need to know. They are absolutely fantastic!

Been to Coconut's Fish Cafe? Share your experiences!