1,039 results
All reviews double tree lobby bar parking situation self parking breakfast buffet view of the bay merrie monarch housekeeping staff the big island nicest hotel ocean front the open air lobby national park banyan drive rental car japanese garden ken's pancake house
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

Beautiful hotel with a great view of Hilo bay. You can jump in the water right there and paddle board. Turtles in water right there at the shallow and Bay Area. Chairs set up on the grass to enjoy the view. Great lobby with bar and drink and take in the view. Good restaurant onsite to eat.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Ed G, General Manager at Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2018

Hi Jackie,

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and I agree the Grand Naniloa is a beautiful hotel. I'm happy to see that you met several of our sea worthy friends, did you see any of the rays swimming around the inlets in front of Hula Hula's? I hope you'll have an opportunity to join us again soon, our lawn chairs with views of Mauna Kea, Hilo Bay and the Pacific Ocean will be waiting:)

Mahalo,

Reviewed 28 June 2018

The lobby of this hotel looks good. It has a ocean view from my room. Room size is not too big but okay. The service is good. One day I left my key card in the room. Then I just call the front desk, and after few minutes someone deliver a new key card for me. That was awesome experience.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Aloha,

Thank you for leaving your thoughts regarding the Grand Naniloa Hotel. We completed a full hotel renovation in 2017 which included the lobby which has panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean as soon as you leave your car with our valet attendants. Service is not a destination but more of a journey as we continue to look for improvements, your appreciation of our service delivery has been shared with my team in the spirit of Aloha.

Hilo awaits your return, Mahalo,

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

This looks to have two parts. One newer (not sure) with balconies and an older section without balconies. All rooms appear to have wonderful views!

Below is for an “older” room, no balcony.

Pluses: Views, decent sized rooms, good waitress service at breakfast, very fast bakers (even when busy - just call on your way down and it is always waiting). Walking distance to several places to eat. Two parks nearby, one has ponds and bridges and lots of green.

Negatives. Loud A/C unit that turns in and off (cannot leave fan on- if you leave fan in low or high mode it turns off when temperature reaches the desired setting). Hence you wake up when it turns off and on. Older so you can hear neighbors (but not horrible). The walkways to the rooms are down a somewhat narrow corridor with smallish windows outside. If you are sensitive to heights, stand on the right. The pool and ocean entry areas are very small. Not for kids.

Big negative. As a diamond member, I am eligible for free continental breakfast. The main item for that is the oatmeal. No oatmeal for at least 15 minutes so I left and complained. Lobby supervisor said that they would provide feedback to the kitchen. Not even a sorry. I went hungry. For this I would not stay here again.

Without the big negative, I would consider this a just above middle of the road and would stay again. You decide on their customer service. I was disappointed and hungry.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim W
Ed G, General Manager at Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Aloha Jim,

Let me start with an apology as we would never want anyone to go hungry and understanding that oatmeal may have been the mainstay of your breakfast this is not acceptable. I do hope you at least found something in the assortment of whole or sliced fresh fruits, yogurts & cottage cheese and pastries/breads or cereals available.

As for our guestrooms all were renovated in 2017 and majority of our rooms have ocean views with a number of upgraded rooms available with balconies. Disappointed that we didn't address the HVAC during your visit and I know I would be equally annoyed with the issues you described as well.

I appreciate your recognition of our views as I believe they are some of the best on the Big Island and of course service is the main stay of any hotel or restaurant. We missed the mark in several areas and I would like the opportunity to speak with you, please feel free to reach out to me directly at ed.gunderson@Hilton.com

Mahalo again for your comments.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

This is a very nice hotel, we were staying in Kona and wanted to see Hilo for 2 nights and this was the nicest hotel we could find. We reserved a Bay Front corner room, it was small but very nicely appointed with a spectacular view right off the lani to the bay. The first night was a disaster, there were drunk raising all kinds of noise in the halls for about a half an hour after we called the desk. In the Morning we decided to go back to Kona.
I checked out and when they asked why I told the it was just to noisy for us. I asked about an adjustment for the 2nd night and they blew me off. I called Hilton and we received all kinds of apology from the customer service department with the promise of some kind of adjustment. It has never happened. "Not a happy customer"

Stayed: October 2017
John-HiltonHelp, on behalf of management at Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2018

Dear rbymail,

We’re very sorry for the noise issue you encountered during your stay at our hotel. Your comfort and safety is our number one concern, and we appreciate that you brought this to our attention. Your review will help us correct similar issues in the future. We hope that the next time you visit Hawaii, you’ll consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night at the beginning of June. We used this as our stepping off point to visit Volcano. We took a helicopter from Hilo to see the current volcano activity and it was a once in a lifetime experience. The Grand Naniloa staff was terrific. We had a luggage issue and they helped us once the luggage got delivered at 1 in the morning. Everyone was very friendly. Would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Aloha,

Thanks so much for staying with us and using the Grand Naniloa as your spot to visit the Big Island! I've been there, I know it really does stink to have your luggage lost or delayed and I'm very happy we could help at 1:00am. We continue work diligently on exceeding service expectations and your experience is our goal so thank you for sharing:)

Yes, the Big Island is one of the few places in the world that you can be a part of history watching land being created by way of Kilauea volcano's fissure 8. Viewing the lava flow by helicopter is an amazing opportunity if you have the chance next time you can view it from sea level booking a lava tour boat excursion which can be booked via our on property concierge Kapohokine Adventures.

Mahalo until next time.