Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews mississippi river full kitchen red tail romantic getaway sized bed first floor bluff driveway coopers futon bedroom cabin handicap wisconsin
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 March 2021

After a year of very limited travel due to the pandemic, was looking forward to this cute bluff-side escape. The views at Red Tail cabin were excellent and the cabin concept was cute. However, we were greeted with an overwhelming, overpowering smell upon entry--a mixture of stale cigarette smoke, bleach, and scented trash bags. It was truly awful. We opened all the windows for hours (and froze because the downstairs heater wasn't working), but the smell had penetrated every crevice of the place. Besides the smell, the overall cleanliness was lacking. Every time I touched a drawer handle, doorknob, or light switch, I had to wash my hands because they felt grimy. I can handle dated furniture and some quirks, but I can't do low indoor air quality and grime in a place that is priced at a grime-free level. Because the smell was still overpowering the next morning, we had to leave early. A disappointing end to what was supposed to be a cozy pandemic getaway. Two stars are for the uniqueness of the cabin and what could be a cozy retreat if the smell and griminess can be addressed.

Date of stay: March 2021
Reviewed 16 March 2021

We were really excited for a weekend getaway as we have not traveled much due to the pandemic. After visiting their website and reading the reviews we booked the Cooper's Hawk cottage for Friday and Saturday night.

The driveway was crazy. Steep hair pin turns. If your car can't handle mountain driving, it will not be able to navigate this driveway. The parking spots are very tight. I can't imagine a pick up truck fitting in any of the spots.

No one mentioned the amount of steps that we would need to climb to get to our cottage. I counted 118 in all. They were steep, windy and unlevel. If you are not in shape, this is not the cottage for you. We were lucky in that we are in good health, but they really should mention the steps when you are making reservations as not everyone can handle that hike.

For $200 a night in Fountain City, we were expecting a well appointed cottage with the extra touches that merit the price tag. I envisioned a nice basket with jams and jellies from the local area along with pastries from one of the nearby bakeries. When they mentioned sausages, I figured it would be local as well as every town in the Upper Midwest has a meat locker. Instead it was a frozen loaf of bread with ice crystals on it, some old sample sizes of cheap jam you would get at Perkins, and Banquet heat and serve sausages.

The furniture was dated, run down and not very comfortable. Most of the windows were stuck shut. There was dust and cobwebs everywhere and the tub looked like it was not cleaned in a long time. The dishes were clean, but some of the pans were so filthy as to not be usable.

The cottage was also very uneven, especially the upper level. It was seriously leaning down, so much so that it felt like being on a ship! You needed to get your "sea legs" in order to walk around the bed. The couple staying at the cottage below us also said theirs leaned so much they needed to switch to a different cottage as one of them was getting vertigo. This leaning affected the pocket doors to the bathrooms as you had to really pull them shut. The refrigerator door would swing wide open and the front door would slam shut all due to the tilt.

On the positive side, the view was spectacular. I could see that foliage in the summer may block it, so if you want the view of the river, I would book it in spring or fall. We got to see wildlife as it is almost like a tree house. It is also very private and quiet. Finally the woman who checked us in at the winery was just lovely. For these reasons I am giving it two stars instead of one.

We still had a good time as we are "roll with the punches" kind of people. However we will not stay there again. There are plenty of places along the Great River Road where we will get more value for what we pay. This cottage did not justify a $422 price tag for a weekend.

Date of stay: March 2021
1  Thank NYerinMN
Reviewed 25 January 2021

I stayed for a night on December 27th/28th and made the mistake of forgetting a pillow I had brought. No big deal, my girlfriend (who had booked the room) e-mailed them on the 29th asking them if they could have it mailed back to us (we live 100 miles away), we would, of course, pay for postage. They agreed and I started waiting.

January 5th my girlfriend asked for an update. It had been a full week and that seems like plenty of time for it to have been mailed and delivered. Their response: "We have it and will be mailing it back to you." A week feels a little long to wait to actually mail it back, but it's the holidays so I get it. No big deal.

January 13th. Still no pillow. Send another e-mail offering to pick it up in person and this time they say: "It has been mailed"

January 22nd. Still no pillow. Clearly lost in the mail, right? They said they mailed it. They lied. After e-mailing them again they call and admit that they did not mail it, despite having said they did. At this point I'm tired of their lies so I had to drive 100 miles to pick up the pillow. Fun fact: the post office is a block from their rental office - it would have taken them less than 20 minutes to drop it off to get mailed to me.

Cannot recommend staying here under the current management -- they displayed a willingness to lie about inconsequential matters which would seem to speak to their general attitude towards their customers: just tell 'em what they want to hear, regardless of the truth. You get a nice view of the river, though. Caveat Emptor.

Date of stay: December 2020
1  Thank cthulhu23
Reviewed 30 December 2020

My husband and I really enjoyed our Christmas getaway.
We stayed in the Falcon cabin and it had everything we needed to make our Christmas eve dinner and all of the meals we ate!
Our only complaint would be that the furniture including the bed could really be updated. Nothing was very comfortable and staying longer than 2 nights would have been challenging comfort wise.
The views were great and everything else was wonderful!

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2020 via mobile

My sister and I stayed in the Marquette suite and loved it. It’s a very cool room with the bedroom up on the third floor of the building. The extra touches like fresh bread and the air jet tub made us feel so pampered, and the towels & bedding smelled so good! The carpet is a little old and stained, but it’s a really good space with huge sunny windows and a historical vibe. We thought the wine was such a nice touch, unfortunately, it wasn’t drinkable. I’m no connoisseur, but I didn’t like the red or the white and dumped them both. Sad. We did hike around the vineyard itself and that was really beautiful. Make sure and ask about that!

Date of stay: October 2020