2,876 results
All reviewsbunker tourthe main dining roomafternoon teadress codeprime westdorothy draperjerry westbucket listgolf coursechampagne toastsouthern charmhorseback ridingturn down servicehistoric preservationgolf clubcarriage ridewalk in closet
Reviewed 30 May 2018

Hard to put into words the wonderful decor, exceptional service, dinner, spa and ambiance of this hotel. Sure it is expensive, but a lot of places are now and you get nothing to speak of. This hotel and staff goes out of their way to welcome and truly appreciate guests. Any and all problems we had were immediately addressed and taken care of, AND THEN SOME. Spectacular hotel and everyone should stay here at least once in their life. Truly exceptional!!!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Larry8241
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

The Ladies and Gentlemen of The Greenbrier are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us, we are honored to have you as our guests. The Greenbrier values the tradition of southern hospitality and honors the vision of Dorothy Draper's original design while accommodating modern amenities of todays Guest. The Greenbrier's 10,000 plus acre playground offers activities for everyone and a different experience in all four beautiful West Viirginia seasons. Additionally, America's Resort offers world class dining options, exquisite shopping, 5 star Spa, and beautiful smoke free Casino club for Guests and Members to enjoy. Please continue to follow The Greenbrier website for upcoming events and special offerings. Team Greenbrier stands ready to welcome you back to experience life as few know it!

Reviewed 30 May 2018

We have stayed at the Greenbrier 3 different times and I will be honest our experience this time was terrible. It actually became a joke with our family………”what else could go wrong!” We are an incredibly accommodating family and it takes a lot to upset us, but it was our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We planned things well in advance so the weekend could be quite memorable for our entire family.

Just a small sampling…….
Pre-arranged a basket to be delivered (champagne and chocolates) and it never arrived.

We pre-ordered a microwave and roll away bed. We had to call Saturday night at 9:00 for the bed to be delivered. The microwave never arrived.

Dinner on Saturday night – We made a reservation 2 weeks ahead for the Italian restaurant. It was booked at Fusion (our family does not like this cuisine so we had to eat at Drapers). I understand this happens often

We pre-booked the bunker tour for Sunday morning at 9:30 am. They had no record of our reservation. The gal was incredibly nice and added our party of 8 to the fully booked tour. The tour was over-crowded and definitely not fair to the other guests.

We arrived at our tee time on Sunday night at 4:00 to find out it was scheduled on August 27 at 4:00. Thank goodness it had rained or we wouldn’t have been able to play as the course would have been full.

On Sunday night, we had reservations at Sam Sneads at 7:15. We arrived at 6:45 and they seated us early. It took a great deal of time to receive our food and when we did receive it, it was horrible. You could tell our entrees had set under lights for a long time. Half of our food was not able to be eaten because it was so dry and hard (a knife wouldn’t cut into our baked potatoes). The worst part of the evening, my parents had requested (earlier in the day at 12:15) to have a cake delivered to our table as a celebration. They offered to pay for the cake. The gal they spoke with said absolutely not, it’s our treat. The cake never came. My parents asked multiple times and they said they had no record of the request. Finally, the manager came over and he said they would have never agreed to an entire cake, just a slice. He never once apologized. He just kept saying we would have never agreed to that.

The resort is still beautiful and some of the staff is still very accommodating, but an expensive resort like this will not remain in business long with this poor of customer service.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
6  Thank Julie C
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Thank you for visiting The Greenbrier, "America's Resort". We are pleased to hear you enjoyed portions of your visit and we apologize that the complete experience, to celebrate your silver Anniversary, was not up to the standards you have come to expect. Your comments have been reviewed with the Executive Management and Operations Teams. We are most thankful for our Guests feedback. This allows us to know where we excel and where you feel we need improvement. The Manager On Duty will be in direct contact with you before the weekend to discuss the shortcomings you have mentioned. The Ladies and Gentlemen of The Greenbrier look forward to welcoming you back in the future and having the opportunity to show you their legendary southern hospitality and service, as you experience life as few know it.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

My first visit to The Greenbrier was in 1979 for an Annual Meeting with my employer at the time. I was young - 22 yrs old - and had no clue this swanky world existed. It was fantastic, my work colleagues and I were treated so well. We were the worker bees at this meeting and were on call the entire time we spent there - 4 days. When I left there I vowed to return.

For my husband's and my 41st wedding anniversary and his birthday (in the same week) I decided to book a few days mid-week at The Greenbrier. My husband had never been, I longed to return. I booked the trip online, didn't pre-reserve anything, we figured we'd be spontaneous in our activities.

From the moment we arrived and stepped out of our car, to the moment we left, it was all magical! The staff are extremely professional and genuinely friendly. The fact that so many of the staff we encountered were with The Greenbrier for decades really speaks to their professionalism.

Our deluxe room was perfect. The bathroom had been updated and I'm glad I booked a room with the upgraded bath.

My husband was so impressed from the moment we arrived. He has traveled extensively for business all through the 80s-00s. He said the service at The Greenbrier was, across the board from check-in to check-out, perfection.

From the glasses of champagne at check-in, to the beautiful plate of chocolate covered strawberries and roses compliments of the management for our anniversary, to the outstanding dinner at Prime 44 West, everything was just perfect.

The Bunker Tour was very interesting and well worth the price; we also took a carriage ride through the grounds as it was a beautiful day and we took lots of pictures. Such gorgeous surroundings!

The Lobby Bar with a chandelier from Gone With The Wind was a fun find for me as I am an avid classic movie fan. I was beside myself with happiness when I found out about it and had to share photos and the information about it with all of my classic movie fan friends on Twitter!

The only sour note was the attitude of the bartender in the Twelve Oaks bar :( I wanted to go there because it is connected to GWTW and the chandelier. I wasn't sure what I wanted to drink, he practically tossed the drinks menu at me, my husband ordered a drink and I was still thinking about it... I then ordered a drink from the menu and he said, "That's not part of the happy hour price!" He was so aggressive about it! I told him it was ok, I still wanted it, so he sullenly started looking for the bottles to mix the drink. As he was doing this he was picking up one bottle, and, it not being the one he wanted, he would slam it back into place, pick up another, slam it back, sigh, pick up another... you get the idea. I looked at my husband and he said to the bartender, "never mind, my wife will have a Stella." He looked as us, ignored us, went back to slamming the bottles and eventually brought me my drink. There were 3 people at the bar, with my husband and I, we made 5. Two women and one man were there when we arrived. The bartender was talking with them and it was as if we interrupted him and he got a bad attitude. We quickly finished our drinks and left. I know we should have said something but we didn't want to ruin our mood with having to complain or be "official" -- I think you can understand.

On the day of check out we had breakfast in the Main Dining Room. What a beautiful room. Service was great, breakfast was delicious! We did not have the buffet, as good as it looked, we ordered from the menu. Many people around us did get the buffet but they were larger groups who looked like they were going to hang out and talk over breakfast. We were checking out and couldn't linger.

When we got into the car my husband thanked me for such a wonderful place to spend our anniversary and his birthday. We drove home through the beautiful West Virginia countryside reminiscing about our time at The Greenbrier and vowing to return!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms have an updated bath, which are very nicely done with granite topped vanities and glass shelving.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank QueenieGypsy
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2018

Thank you for sharing the comments regarding your recent visit to The Greenbrier! We are thrilled that you chose to return and introduce your husband to what this unique historic hotel has to offer. America's Resort is a full service resort that offers something for everyone. We welcome overnight Guest, day Guests, and Members daily. In addition to our exquisite dining options, world class shopping, and numerous indoor and outdoor activities our rich 239 year history offers a one of a kind experience to all our Guests. We are saddened to hear your Twelve Oaks experience was less than spectacular and will follow up with the appropriate Manager. Please follow the Greenbrier website or contact our Personal Hospitality Experts for a full list of amenities and details concerning special offers and upcoming events. The Ladies and Gentlemen of The Greenbrier look forward to welcoming you back soon to experience life as few know it!

Reviewed 28 May 2018

2018 was Trip Number eight to the Greenbrier. It was another outstanding experience.

The Greenbrier is a step back in time. Yes. There are large roses in the wallpaper. The place looks old fashion. Get over it.

The service is outstanding. Employees brag about how many decades they have been at the Greenbrier.

The pictures in the lobby tell history.

The food is outstanding. We make our reservations for dinners months before our visit. We love Sam Sneed’s overlooking the golf course. The Forum is an Italian treat. Prime 44 is reserved for a special night.

Before dinner, we take a step back in time with a drink in the lobby bar.

There are a lot of activities. Golf, fishing, hiking, spa, tennis and more.

We are looking forward to our 2019 visit.

Room Tip: All of rooms have been unique and outstanding.
Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2018

The Greenbrier team appreciates the comments you have shared. Our Ladies and Gentlemen of The Greenbrier offer traditional southern hospitality at an unique historic hotel that celebrates the vision of Dorothy Draper's mid 40's design. With 10,000 plus acres of breathtaking mountain property not only do you have a beautiful landscape but activities and amenities for everyone. With accommodations ranging from single spacious hotel rooms to stately multi-bedroom estate homes The Greenbrier can meet any request for our guests. As you have mentioned we offer a wide array of activities, unique dining experiences, and 249 years of preserved history for guests to enjoy. Please follow our website or contact our Personal Hospitality Experts for all things Greenbrier. We look forward to welcoming you back in 2019 to America's Resort to experience life as few know it!

Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

Gorgeous hotel & grounds. We did the bunker tour. Everything is extremely overpriced and we will probably never go back because of it. There is a casino. There is also no where else to go eat off the property except for a tiny little sandwich shop, which was delicious.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2018

The Ladies and Gentlemen of The Greenbrier thank you for sharing your experience. The Greenbrier Legacy extends back 239 years and we are proud to offer southern hospitality to all our Guests and Members. The Greenbrier is a Historic Property and we strive to preserve the past and continue to offer the most modern of amenities. The Greenbrier also offers world class shopping, exquisite dining, elegant smoke free Casino Club in addition to a superb 5 star Spa. If you should have a change of heart, we would love the opportunity to host you again. Please follow The Greenbrier website for all things Greenbrier and upcoming specials. We would love to welcome you back to America's Resort to experience life as few know it.